Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Auction for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 1

Here's what appears to be a legitimate auction for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. It's a PSA 1. Any guesses as to what it ends up at?

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 1

To me, it worthless because I would never buy anything less than a PSA 4 or PSA 5 (probably why I won't have one for a very long time). But I could see someone dropping, say, $3,000.00 just say that they have one, regardless of condition. Thoughts?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad looking card for a PSA 1, IMO.

Jack,

How did you do with that 1793 Large Cent you submitted to PCGS? Did they ever slab it?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I can't see dropping $3k on anything that's a PSA 1... but I'd deff. like to be able to say I own a '52 Topps Mantle.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear Grote,

Still have the 1793 Large Cent Chain. Getting conflicting information. Took it to two (2) local shops. One says it is authentic. One says it is not. I think I need perhaps a third or even fourth opinion. Will keep you updated.

/s/ JackWESQ

And speaking of a PSA 4. But way too off-centered for me.

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 4

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. No higher than, say, $10,000.00.
  • That's not too shabby looking for a PSA1... heck, if the card doesn't look mulched in person, it might be worth resubbing to try for a 2 (lol).

JackWESQ: You said it was worthless to you, but I notice you placed a bid *grin*. So did I, for that matter. I don't expect to win, but it's nice to have a shot.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    ive seen psa 1 mantle rookes go for 2-3 thousand on there before, just depends on how bad somebody wants something!the 1 looks better than the oc 4 to me ,better looking
    Randy
    Dear Mosaic,

When I saw the auction, I think my bid was the second or third at $52.00. Whenever I see an auction that is interesting (for whatever reason), I add it to my watch list. But since our watch list is limited to 100 items, I'll place the next lowest bid to add it my "Items I'm Bidding On" watch list, which is unlimited.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That card looks way too good for a 1. Gotta be something else there such as possibly a small pinhole or water damage of some sort. If that slab was cracked and the card held in hand, I have no doubt that the buyer would fully understand why the card received a 1.

I hate cards with pin holes or water damage, and so I wouldn't bid on this card without a very close inspection of the card in person with a loupe.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looked at it again - yes, there does appear to be a small pinhole in the center of the bottom border. Probably a pinhole at the top of the card as well on the picture but the scan probably fills it in so it can't be seen here. If you don't mind these flaws, yes it's not at all a bad 1.