Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Irish coin-silver plated?

I have bought a collection recently and in it was a 1939 half-crown. The book says that this coin is .750 silver. Mine appears to be copper with silver plate that is worn down to the copper. Any ideas?
Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
http://bit.ly/bxi7py

Comments

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    This might be a contemporary counterfeit. Very interesting piece and thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>This might be a contemporary counterfeit. Very interesting piece and thanks for sharing. >>

Roy

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's copper? I don't see that in the photo.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Yep--without a doubt it has the copper coloring under the silver plating. Seems to be to good of a coin to be counterfeited for what it is worth. Any other ideas?
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    It's not unusual for worn English florins to look a bit pinkish. I wouldn't write it off to soon
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I had to chime in here on this one. It is extremely unlikely that you have a copper silver plated 1939 leat Coróin (half crown) as these are not generally
    one of the coins in this series to be heavily counterfeited (the 1943 flóirín takes that honor). Is there are reverse image to this coin? As far as I can see
    I do not see this in the image and I am a longtime collector of Irish coinage it is my main collecting focus. If this is indeed a counterfeit it would be a
    rare case and very unlikely. If it's possible find another example of this coin or a good image of one and check the spacing between the ó and the i in
    Coróin also there should be 7 tufts or lines in the horse's tail and 151 beads around the coin. The coin should also measure 32.3 mm in diameter.

The reason I say check the diameter is that in an unlikely case a Pingn (penny) planchet may have been used by accident then the diameter will
    only be about 30 mm. Also note that all what is called copper coins in this series are not copper but bronze. If this is a counterfeit or a planchet
    error it would be a rare case.

Micheál

• Options
    What the hey I can't type in Gaelic on this forum anymore...LOL! All my fadas are missing!
  • Options
    The weight should be 14.138 grams.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options

<< <i>The weight should be 14.138 grams. >>

Thanks Brad I forgot that tidbit.