Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Common date rouble in NGC AU-55 holder.....

...sold for $542? What in the world is going on here? This was a $25 coin just 6 or 7 years ago. I let mine go too soon.....

eBay link

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's ridiculous. I still see AU pieces sell for around $50-80 at dealers.
  • Options

<< <i>That's ridiculous. I still see AU pieces sell for around $50-80 at dealers. >>

The buyer is apparently in Latvia. Assuming that the buyer is not someone who has more money than brains (which might be a questionable assumption) and that the sale is genuine, the only possible explanation that I can imagine is that the market is much stronger there than it is over here.

A quick check of recent European auction results found this result and this one, both from the same auction. Notice that the raw "Extremely Fine" coin sold for more than the slabbed "MS-63" coin, which seems to make no sense at all. Maybe the higher price for a lower grade is due to the influence of the variety collector?

Or maybe the market is just crazy right now.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director