Home U.S. Coin Forum

Parsippany show. Until When do Dealers stay?

I went there last month, and dealers started leaving at noon. Which was a bit of a disappointment to me because I was hoping to get more done.

Until when do dealers typically stay at this show?

Comments

• this weekend's show is a special one because it spans three days ( today, tomorrow, and sunday) typically I have found dealers ( for the normal sunday show) start pulling out early afternoon! do not know how late they stay for this show ( especially tomorrowimage)
    steve

myCCset
  • KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    I have a table there every month ( except this weekend ) and I am one of the last to leave around 3. I set up in the smaller room.

Frankimage
  • Frankly...it all depends on how many folks are there "on the other side of the table". I am usually one of the last to leave but the time can vary from show to show. If I look around the room and only see a couple of potential customers AND no one entering the show...well...it is time to start packing up.

During the regular monthly Sunday shows there are some dealers who always pack up by noon...they are usually there to wholesale and conduct their business in the AM.

Today there was a moderate but steady turnout until around 4 or so...then it all slowed WAY DOWN...many folks were packing up to leave. I stayed on until almost 6 but business in the room was almost non-existant.

We'll be there tommorrow and Sunday...doors open at 10 tommorrow until 6...but if there are more dealers in the room then potential customers by 2, you can count on early departures. Same on Sunday.

While it may be a sort of fantasy for some...to be the only customer in a room full of dealers and no one to obstruct your hunt...it would be a nightmare for the dealers...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not there...but something doesnt sound good if dealers were leaving Fri at noon? maybe today was better?
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Their was a great turn out today. About 100 or so dealers, tons of customers going in and out. I was there from about 11 to only about 2 or so, as I had other obligations.

I heard another dealer say that tomorrow will be even bigger, with more dealers, and I assume more customers.

• << <i>not there...but something doesnt sound good if dealers were leaving Fri at noon? maybe today was better? >>

Not to worry Jon...the doors didn't even open to the general public on Friday until 2PM...after the initial buzz it started to wind down around 4 or so...

Today got off to a quick start with lots of activity...I personally did not do alot of business in comparison to yesterday but was on par with my usual Sunday activity. Yesterday...Friday...was a banner day for me...both retail and wholesale...today was a big buying day for me and I just finished preparing a number of the NEWPS for tommorrow.

I can't say what types of coins were selling around the room as I had little time to leave my table both days...but from what I have heard from many dealers...there is no bear market in NJ this weekend...alot of smiling, tired faces on the dealers around the room at the end of the day.

Most of my activity was in quality Seated, Bust and other classic type coins...a few buffs,IHCs, SLQs, morgans, walkers, commems as well...all around a good show...

To anyone who blew it off OR had other commitments...I hope you're having a great Holiday weekend but I would suggest you consider doing the 3 day show next year...but then, that might mean less business for me...image

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file