Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does the prohibition of having a living person's likeness on a coin mean that ...........

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
.............. the still living current and former "First Ladies" can not be on a "First Spouse" coin?

I think that would cover Betty Ford, Roselyn Carter, Nancy Regan, Barbara Bush, Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush (and maybe on 1-20-2009 Bill Clinton).

Or is there an exception to the rule for these persons?

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or is there an exception to the rule for these persons? >>

No the series actually says they have to of been dead for a cetain period of time before there coin can be issued.

Looked it up a president must of been dead for two years to have a coin, but the spouse coin does not have this restriction that I can find.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no prohibition to putting a living person on a US coin. Look at the Special Olympics commem silver dollar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is no prohibition to putting a living person on a US coin. Look at the Special Olympics commem silver dollar. >>

Correct. The only such restriction is on U.S. paper money.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I recall, the 1921 Alabama half featured then-Governor Kilby on it while the 1926 Sesquicentennial half featured then-President Coolidge and finally the 1936 Arkansas half featured then-Senator Robinson. Both the Alabama and Sesquicentennial had a conjoined bust motif while the Arkansas had a single portrait.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Don't forget the Lynchburg half with Sec. Carter Glass.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for reminding me of that one since I sat here for about ten minutes wondering what issue I had forgotten.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't forget the Lynchburg half with Sec. Carter Glass. >>

Also, there's the Alabama Centenial with then Gov. Kilby and the Sesquicentenial Commem with then Pres. Coolage.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    Betty Ford recently passed away.

Thanks,

Chris

Question: If Hillary is elected president, then is Bill going to be on the "First Ladies" coinage?

• Options
    Correct. The only such restriction is on U.S. paper money.

And postage stamps ... current regs are deceased at least 10 years. If I remember right this does not cover the current push for "personalized" postage.

Hmmm ... perhaps its a good thing we don't have "personalized" coinage ... anybody for a Russ Half?!?
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Hillary is elected president, then is Bill going to be on the "First Ladies" coinage? >>

Yes. The US Mint calls the set the "First Spouse Program" so Bill would qualify.
  • Options

<< <i>Betty Ford recently passed away.

Thanks,

Chris

Question: If Hillary is elected president, then is Bill going to be on the "First Ladies" coinage? >>

Yes. That's why they call it the "First Spouse" series.

Hillary could see her "First Spouse" coin in her lifetime, but not her President coin.

TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file