Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What % of Pre-1900 Gold coins have been cleaned?

I've been doing alot of looking on Heritage archives lately and have noticed "some" NGC and PCGS quarter and half eagles look hairlined. Especially some of the rare key dates! What have you seasoned experts seen over the years in reputable slabs? Maybe it's just bad pics and I am mistaken. Curious to here some stories of what is out there! I guess the sticker people will have a field day with old gold!

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    over 100% because they have been cleaned more than once.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I suppose that the more expensive the coin, the more likely the TPGs are to slab it, even if there are some "problems."

I haven't seen all that much gold in major TPG slabs that has actually been abrasively cleaned - a light wipe, perhaps, but nothing harsh.

Now, pre-Civil War gold, especially southern gold, is more likely than not to have been dipped or otherwise "processed", but not "abrasively cleaned."

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say anywhere from 40-60% of the gold coins on the market (slabbed or otherwise) have been cleaned. I don't see a ton of gold, but I don't think the number is 75%-100% as many seem to say. I'd bet the majority of gold coins still in existence have never come close to a TPG.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Anybody else? Thanks for the replies!
  • Options
    Interesting thread - thanks to all who have shared!!

roadrunner - love your posts (esp. in gold/silver thread). I am curious why you say most gold has never seen a TPG; on what do you base this? I know very little about the gold coin market (other than I like half eagles - LOL) and would love to hear more of your thoughts on this topic image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file