Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How has your eBay activity changed over the past few years?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
Buying more?

Selling more?

Stopped using?

No change?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    Looking more than ever....not liking too much of what I see....have purchase only 2 coins in the past....but hope to find more that I want in the future.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭
    Havent sold as much lately as I have in the past. Seem to mostly browse these days with a purchase once in a while.

TorinoCobra71
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a lot on Ebay between 1998 and 2000. I continue to sell very sporadically, and I only buy things like bubble mailers and coin flips there - not too many things of interest on Ebay for sale (for me).
  • Options
    No change. It's still zero.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Buying more

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, my buying has decreased markedly.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not finding as much of what I like to buy anymore. Partially becuase I have filled up some of my set and the rest would be keys I need to see in person or the just go to high on EBAY.

Random delas once in a while.......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i only bid on the special coins. everything else is modern crap.
    heh, and i consider a 1908 half eagle to be in that category.
    i want something juicy, rare, and original. Before, during, or immediately
    after the civil war.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying less, spending more for what I buy. Selling less, selling is dead for the summer.
  • Options
    I have been buying less and less over time. When I first joined, probably around 1998, it seemed to be more fun and that you could get better deals to me.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I bought coins from ebay fairly frequently from 2000 to 2003 and then did almost no buying from 2003 to 2005. Now I don't use ebay at all.
  • Options
    I still buy there but rarely sell because of the fees.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying less and selling even less than that.
  • Options
    Used to do a large quantity of business selling in ebay auctions. Since it has become unprofitable for various reasons I have stopped selling that way completely.
    I have had a very brisk summer selling from my ebay store, ebay fixed price listings and my website.
    I also used to buy quite a lot on ebay but recently have found little to interest me.
    That's about all the changes I can think of. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com
    dalias13@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Sell less because of the fees-buy less but still look-at TPG coins only.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options

<< <i>I am not finding as much of what I like to buy anymore. Partially becuase I have filled up some of my set and the rest would be keys I need to see in person or the just go to high on EBAY.

Random deals once in a while....... >>

Sounds familiar - but if you REALLY want to see "just go too high", check out Morgan toners on Teletrade. image
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    Used to sell a lot but I just got tired of being a part time dealer, it was not any bad experience just burned out on doing it.

I don't even look there for anything anymore, have other priorities in my life these days.
  • Options
    Less, because my 4 sets are all most complete. Doing very little buying and culling. If it weren't for ebay I wouldn't have gotten back in the hobby five years ago, so I'm a big fan. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From 2003-2006 probably bought something every week, in many cases multiple lots. For 2007 I haven't won an auction. The auctions are far more competitive and the quality has dropped.
    For the few old holder coins or real type coin gems that show, there is always a bidder willing to pay more, regardless of what you want to pay.

Only use for me today is to monitor sell prices.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know I collected license plates for many years.

I've been selling them on ebay for about 8 years and, I can tell you, a plate which would have sold for $20- $40 dollars five years
    ago won't attract a single bid at $4 - $5 today.

The good news is I'm down to the plates I want to keep but I sure wonder when and if
    the bottom will fall out of U.S. Coin values.

Could happen.

• Options
    291 fifth-----Guess I feel pretty much the same as what I read here. Am buying less than ever before on Ebay. The years seem to have drained the good available coins to a large degree. It sort of reminds me of a lot of the bourse floors these past few years. There are an awful lot of coins---but none that I want. A lot of picked over stuff---overgraded---and messed with coins. What I would call the bottom of the barrel.

Having said that, I still watch the Ebay sales every day. Every 10,000 coins or so there seems to still be a nice coin that finds its way into a listing. Those few coins continue to keep me looking. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    Started out on ebay in 2000....Averaged about 200 buys for the next 3 years. Less than 100 buys since.

• Options
    less and less coins and more and more other stuff in my watchlist
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Ebay buying down 65 % - 80 %.... this year vs last.... fleabay is becoming a market for junk..turning more to Heritage etc image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Gave up bidding on coins on eBay about 3 years ago and today don't ever look at what's offered. 5-7 years ago there were real bargains to be had and I took advantage, today it's 99% thrash.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Stopped using for lack of $$$.
  • Options
    It has only been 6 month for me on ebay . I started out wanting to buy just about everything, but after understanding more about collecting, I cut it down to once a week.

John

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file