Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about "First Strike" designation... NOT SPECIFICALLY FIrst Spouse

Ok, so obviously the coin in question "be it whatever, but since the topic this week will be the Jefferson Spouse coin, I will keep it that."

I had to cover my butt one time, by writing a letter, before a certain event happened, to prove that I knew what was going to happen, and to keep me from being in trouble legally... long story... but this is what I was told by an attorney.

Take the letter, pack it up in a priority envelope, sealed, ect, and overnight it to your self, registered mail, signature delivery, all that stuff, then keep the letter sealed when you get it and sign for it. The package will be signed and stamped with all the dates from the P.O. and will prove that the letter was written before the event happens.

Say you were to do this to your Jefferson Spouse coin, and keep it around for a while. You would be able to view the coin, make your decision on if its worthy of going in (possibly for a PR-70 or MS-70) but then mail it to yourself as stated before, and sit back and watch the market.

Since coins going in AFTER the cut off date for FS desigination are ONLY eligible for the designation if they are in a mint sealed package... wouldnt this be the same thing? Still can be proven that it was one of the FS coins.

What are your thoughts? Dont sit here and ask me WHY would you do it... why? Lets say your broke, and want to send it in later on when you have some more money, but want to view the coin first... thats why. No, I didnt order one... but some wise ass will ask why... so Im just giving an example why...

Comments

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Not being a First Strike™ person...but from what I understand it to be is that it (the coin ) must be in the original mint package ..Unopened.!!!..I could be wrong ..but that's what I believe it to be.
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    That is what it is... but I am saying hypothetically... this is a very easy way to PROVE that the coin was a true FS coin, without any doubt... and should be considered.

Any coin can be sent in raw also, as long as it is postmarked by the cut off date... so that is why I ask... since PCGS goes by the post marked date... you could send it to yourself (getting the necessary postmark date) then send it to PCGS a year later, in the original postmarked packaging, proving that you made the cut off date...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's PCGS's game and they make the rules. What you are looking at, and what you did, was playing within the accepted rules by the courts, right?
    In this case, PCGS states the rules and makes the rules and they decide what is accepted and what isn't.

What you are suggesting may be ok to a reasonable person who is buying your coin and expecting from a certain time period, but what if PCGS decides to stop doing 1st Strike, or is deadset that only coins sent within 12 months, AND original, unopened, boxes showing first 30 days, are allowed? Who can change their decision? Them. Someone may appeal to them and they may accept something else, but it is their decision.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I think your plan is reasonable and should be acceptable to PCGS, but I would ask them first. Try the Q&A forum; every so often they do answer a question or two.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I have no need to know... I was just wondering your thoughts on it being "reasonable" because I feel it is.

I have no plan in any near future to purchase anything from the mint... but I have always wondered that... but I dont feel my mind wandering should take their time to answer the question... they have better things to do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file