Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone remember flipping cards?

Anyone remember flipping cards (and matching the colors) in the 70's?

Was this only a Brooklyn thing? Or were kids doing this around the country?

(I found the following on streetplay.com)

Colors:

Each year the basic look of the baseball cards changes to present anxious consumers with a new style and design. Regardless of the new look, portions of the card, such as the team name or player position would usually be made in a distinctive color and the color would vary by team. There might be two teams whose name was framed in red, two in blue, two in green, etc. All the members of the team would have the same card color.

The rules of “Colors” are similar to the classic game of war (where players use a regular card deck) only even simpler! Each player starts with a deck of cards, even in numbers. The first player turns over his top card and holds it face up. Perhaps the team color is red. The next player then turns over her top card and places it on top of the other player’s. If the color matches (in this case, if it is also red), the 2nd player wins, takes both cards and placed them at the bottom of her deck, if the card doesn’t match (perhaps it is blue), the first player then turns over his next card and places it on the pile. If it matches the preceding card, he wins the pot, if not, the other player turns over her next card. This play continues until the top two cards match. A group of cards in a single pot or round can get quite big before two matching cards hit.

If after starting the round a player runs out of cards, he pulls the bottom one from the pile and places it on top, while the other player continues to add cards from her own deck. If the player with no cards left loses this last round, the game end (unless of course he can convince someone to lend him cards to continue another round). Back in the olden days, players usually continued playing until one ran out of cards or someone had to go to supper.

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i remember it well and grew up flipping cards
    it beat the hell out of the cards but i got pretty good at it andalways had a stack of cards in my pocket in grade school ready to go. it was a great time killer and would love to play now...

i played in the 70-80's by the way
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Same here, always kept a stack in the pack pocket (mostly Mets and Cubs, God I hated them back then) and ready to flip. Grew up in Queens, NY in the 70's....

bryan
    On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
    ______
    Collecting all Yankees especially:
    Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

For my son:
    Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

MY Baseball Card Page
    My Player Collection Needs
  • Options
    My dad remembers doing that in the 50's. Right around the time of Mickey Mantle's Topps rookie card! image
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I figure I have 1 or 2 complete sets of 1972 BB that are in the worst imaginable shape because I flipped, slid on, put in bike spokes, buried, wrote on, blacked out, etc. My formative years with cards and I don't think I would change it even knowing what they would be worth today. I spent every penny I was able to scrounge up on cards and it would have been completely unforgivable in my tender age to not get all out of them that I could. Put them in sleeves, please!
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I can see people doing that nowadays - instead of flipping them at the wall to get a leaner, they'd use a coin to flip and then carry the card over to the wall and place it gently down (inside a toploader), leaning against the wall.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I was a lousy gambler and lost all my '65 cards flipping...........if only they had gambler's anonymous back them for 7 year olds!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete