Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will anyone be taking advantage of Heritage's "5% Off Sale" this weekend?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I am just curious if these "% Off" sales work or not. DLRC seems to run them, and this is the first time that I recall Heritage offering one. Is anyone taking advantage of this sale? Here is the email that I received:

August 30, 2007

Dear [Longacre],

Heritage is offering an additional 5% discount on all inventory items for sale this holiday weekend. This offer is valid for all orders placed between 6 PM CT Friday August 31st and 8 AM CT Tuesday September 4th, 2007.

Click Here to see our complete inventory:

The 5% discount will be applied when your order is processed after being confirmed. The discount will not appear on your original order confirmation. This offer does not apply to Virtual Bourse, Make an Offer, or Post-Auction Buy it Now offerings.

Thank you,
Coin Sales Department, Heritage Auction Galleries
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These % off sales are a joke. If you ask most dealers for their best price on a coin, they will knock at least 5% off their listed price.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    "Will anyone be taking advantage of Heritage's "5% Off Sale" this weekend?"

Not I........

AL
  • Options
    Nothing on there that I like this weekend.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These % off sales are a joke. If you ask most dealers for their best price on a coin, they will knock at least 5% off their listed price. >>

Agree! If that had anything I wanted,I would have already bought it. OTOH, this is a good way for Heritage to remind you to take a look at their inventory.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking advantage of a discount image. I'll cherrypick. To get a discount off of an already cherrypicked piece is like getting a hundred dollars off the sticker price of a new car image
    On the same token... I have the utmost respect for the Heritage name and it's business model.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>These % off sales are a joke. If you ask most dealers for their best price on a coin, they will knock at least 5% off their listed price. >>

Exactly. If I am interested in a coin offered, I'll get on the phone/net and tell them what my offer is. If they agree to it, fine. I cringe thinking people are really routinely paying retail asking prices for static listings.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i got the email and typed in coins.ha.com but then i got distracted
    by dinner or what not and never went back to it. i highly doubt they
    have what i want. they never seem to and if they do it is priced fully
    to the max.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, I'd take 5% off from their purchase price.........but not the listed retail price. Buying slow movers for 5% or multiples of that are often not the best deals. It's been said here many times that buying the best coins from fresh deals, at even 10-30% over sheet, is often the true bargain.

If DLRC offered a 40-60% off sale I might think about it...a little.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    5% off is not a deal. What a joke.
  • Options
    I check their New Inventory everyday. At full retail, I will only purchase that one coin I've been searching for a long time. Generally I'll pay their price if it's the right coin. Five percent off the right coin sounds like a good deal to me.

A week or so after a coin shows up in inventory it generally goes to auction. That's where the good prices generally can be found - although I have had to pay the original asking inventory price at auction several times recently. The folks at Heritage have a pretty good idea of what price the market will bear.....
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    Nope. I've been buying too many coins elsewhere, and besides 5% isn't enough to even get me interested. 20%, maybe.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peeked at DLRC, and HA and since most Virtual Bourse coins are hyper inflated a 5% discount feels more like .05%... I'm waiting for the "Pick A Free Coin" holiday weekend special.image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>I am just curious if these "% Off" sales work or not. DLRC seems to run them, and this is the first time that I recall Heritage offering one. Is anyone taking advantage of this sale? Here is the email that I received:

August 30, 2007

Dear [Longacre],

Heritage is offering an additional 5% discount on all inventory items for sale this holiday weekend. This offer is valid for all orders placed between 6 PM CT Friday August 31st and 8 AM CT Tuesday September 4th, 2007.

Click Here to see our complete inventory:

The 5% discount will be applied when your order is processed after being confirmed. The discount will not appear on your original order confirmation. This offer does not apply to Virtual Bourse, Make an Offer, or Post-Auction Buy it Now offerings.

Thank you,
    Coin Sales Department, Heritage Auction Galleries >>

I tried, but every thing I looked at should have been stickered by RUSS. WOOF! WOOF!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file