Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Burglers steal gold coins from Texas mansion

A pair of lightning-quick burglars are the object of a police hunt after they stole a cache of gold coins worth hundreds of thousands of dollars from a River Oaks mansion.

Houston police Sgt. J.J. Beasley said the burglars' images were captured on video by a neighbor's security camera.

The break-in happened about 7:30 p.m. on July 24 in the 3300 block of Inwood. Police declined to specify how the thieves gained entry into the 8,000-square-foot, $3.5 million home.

Police said the security video showed the burglars departing the house with a satchel, presumably filled with gold. They left the neighborhood in a dark colored sedan. Beasley said the burglars pulled the heist in about 10 minutes.

The victim, who asked not to be identified, said the gold consisted of some older collector-grade coins and other objects acquired as investments. Normally, he said, they would have been kept in a bank vault, but had been stored at the house. No one was at home at the time of the robbery.

The thieves targeted the gold without ransacking the house. The victim said police have questioned people who worked in the house.

Crime Stoppers of Houston is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the identification, arrest and charging of suspects in the case. Crime Stoppers can be reached at 713-222-TIPS.

Comments

• Options
    Certainly sounds like a heist with some inside knowledge.

• Options

<< <i>Certainly sounds like a heist with some inside knowledge. >>

It does indeed, they seemed to know exactly where to find what they were looking for.
  • Options
    Hmmmm ... college dropout son with a drug habit?
  • Options

<< <i>Certainly sounds like a heist with some inside knowledge. >>

(Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the message to the rest of us is to be careful and not paranoid. I suggest not disposing of numismatic related items in the trash or other public forums and to have subscriptions, coins, etc. NOT come to the home directly. I hope he gets his coins back. Is River Oaks in Houston?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<Certainly sounds like a heist with some inside knowledge.>>

Or an insurance scam.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    poor richardshipp, all that gold -- GONE!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or are the reports of large numismatic thefts increasing lately?
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>poor richardshipp, all that gold -- GONE! >>

They come around my parts and I'm taking action............ (actually, if they want my stuff they better go to the bank)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file