Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1938 Proof Lincoln - Question - Big Pic

I recently bought this proof lincoln and it's graded PCGS pr62rb. Except for the stuff on the reverse, I can't see a mark on it. To the naked eye, the reverse looks like a drop of something(mint rinse?) dried, but the scan shows more spots. What is it and can it be taken off without harming the coin? This coin is a toned wonder with the reds and purples(that don't show in the scan) Thanks for the advice.

Life member of the SSDC

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I've done a lot with the 1936-42 Proof Lincolns. Graded as a 62, it has a lot of ticks that you can't see. It might also be docked for the spotting on the reverse, which is probably what got it the Brown in the Red/Brown. I highly doubt that anything would take this off, and you would probably ruin the coin trying to do so. Maybe someone who knows more about doing stuff with copper can have some better news for you.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Leave it as it is.
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Leave it as it is. >>

I agree leave as it is. Copper surfaces, especially proof, are very delicate.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks nasty. Aside from the visible spotting, a PF62 coin often has significant patches of hairlines that might not be visible in all lighting conditions or directions.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file