Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Opinions from all who have graded cards in the last month - 1.5 months

I just want to hear everyone else's opinion.......lay it out however you want!

I think the grading has been extremely TIGHT lately
(I.E.-Seems to be on the conservative side)

Ok everyone else....dig in! LETS HEAR IT!

Tony
KalineFan

Comments

• Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    I wouldn't know. Sent my 25 under the June special. Logged in July 2. Sat back and watched as submissions logged after have been done. Sucky service.
  • Options
    I felt my free six was graded conservatively. My first June Special was graded more along my expectations...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Actually, my free membership grades were done. A little better than I thought.

1 90652839 1962 POST CANADIAN 173 ROBERTO CLEMENTE HAND CUT 4
    2 90652840 1968 O-PEE-CHEE 86 WILLIE STARGELL N/A Not Holdered, Did not meet Minimum Size Requirements
    2 90652841 1968 O-PEE-CHEE 86 WILLIE STARGELL N/A Not Holdered, Did not meet Minimum Size Requirements
    3 90652842 1966 VENEZUELA TOPPS 99 BUC BELTERS W.STARGELL/D.CLENDENON 4
    4 90652843 1968 VENEZUELA TOPPS 86 WILLIE STARGELL N/A 3
    5 90652844 1967 VENEZUELA TOPPS 280 WILLIE STARGELL N/A 4

Date Received: 06/28/2007
    Date of Grades Posted: 07/10/2007
    Date Shipped: 07/10/2007

The Post Canadian has to be the nicest 4 on the planet. The Venezuelans were all better than expected. Some day they'll figure out how to grade the 1968 OPC Stargell.
  • Options
    Agree with Kalinefan and things are not gonna get much better with having brand new graders. This was the topic talked about by a few bigger dealers at the Hollywood Park show and they are not real pleased.
    Many rumors and theories as to why but they are just that...rumors and theories.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on my most recent subs, I'd say that it's getting tougher to get the 9 instead of an 8, but a bit easier (at least once in a while) to get the 10 instead of a 9, if that makes any sense.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KIMO75

About 95% of ALL 1968 OPC Willie Stargells are factory cut SHORT.

Thats why you only see a handful graded on the Registry set.
    My guess is that the Mint 9 that is graded somehow slipped
    by unless it is a "MIRACLE" card. Some of the 71 OPC Stargells
    are the same way, but, not quite as dramatic.

Hope this helps.

Tony
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I would tend to agree with most of the posts so far. PSA does seem to be keeping the reins a little tight on handing out 9's and 10's lately. Trying to get a 10 from a pre 1975 issue is like pulling teeth.

I got back two June orders of 650 cards. A mix of 1960s thru the early '80's of all sports. I would say at least 50 are under graded in my opinion when comparing like years in cards I have already slabbed. This includes louping all the cards under a bright light and not just eye balling them. Also to be fair, at least 10 were over graded too. In the end it tends to even out on large subs.

Maybe it's the new graders, not exactly sure.

I'm also still waiting on a 7 week old sub of 375 cards from the June bulk special. I hope to do a little better on those, but I'm not holding my breath either.

Rich
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    SGC has been ridiculous lately. One dealer went over to them and said, "do you want me to stop grading cards with you?"

PSA has been fine.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>ased on my most recent subs, I'd say that it's getting tougher to get the 9 instead of an 8, but a bit easier (at least once in a while) to get the 10 instead of a 9, if that makes any sense. >>

imageimageimageimageimage

Actually, I understand what you are saying there grote....imageimage

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    my last sub from the $5 special was graded under my 2 month norm. grades were about as expected and the usual distribution for me. I really dont pre-screen my cards though.

now here is one that always gets me. i sent in a moss SP rookie a few months ago on the $13 special and it came back recolored. So I sent it in again and it came back a 6. Now when I get it back I will be cracking it out of course and really give it a careful review. Since its not a 5 it cant be from a surface crease/wrinkle. The corners are better than a 6 and center appeared fine. What do you think will happen the next time I submitt it.

but my point is this how could a card that was once deamed recolored, come back a 6 after a second stop in CA. even more so if it comes back an 8 the next time what does this all really mean about the over all grading at PSA.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    More two cents worth from me on the current grading................

As a lot of you know, I submit a bunch of OPC Baseball. The stuff that they graded
    (As well as the way I GRADED IT) 7 and 8 before are now 5's, 6's and 7's.
    I just don't understand it. It isn't like I am new to this. I have graded thousands
    upon thousands of OPC Baseball cards. Sure, I will miss crinkles or what-not once in
    a while, but, overall, I think I am a fairly good grader on those (And my previous stuff
    bears that out!), and I think if new people are grading my OPC Baseball, then, they
    need to hire someone else. I don't sit and carefully loop this stuff all day for
    nothing. I sent in an incredible 1975 OPC George Brett Rookie-50/50! Now, I am smart
    enough to know that it is never gonna 10, but, I thought it was an absolute LOCK
    to MINT 9. They graded it an 8. On the same submission, I sent in a 1975 OPC
    Nolan Ryan (#500) and I thought it was just a nice 7, with a very slim chance to
    8. So that one they graded 6 !!!! This was graded on the $13 special. I also just
    got back a bunch of Mid-70's Hostess Panels--Not a single MINT 9 out of the whole
    group. Every panel was cut well beyond the dotted outlines. I wasn't looking for 10's,
    but, the overall submission was just terrible. I know there were a couple of wrinkled
    ones in the group, but, not even a bunch of 8's out of this? What the @&amp;#%$ do I
    have to do now just to get MINT 9 stuff?

So, I don't like to whine, but, if these are the new graders and these are the new
    grades, I don't see a whole lot of future cards coming in to them. In any case,
    this is just not going to be acceptable to myself and others.

Sorry to vent, but, it looks like I am not the ONLY ONE!

Tony
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    My recent submission (June special) also came back about one point undergraded across the board, relative to graded cards already in my possession of the same type. In one case I cracked out an SGC 98 card that was a clear 9, even a possible 10, came back a PSA 8.

Unfortunately, I guess the truth is that grading is a crap shoot (I believe the politically correct term is "subjective"). With thre recent requests for new graders, it seems at least possible that the experienced graders are overworked, or that the new ones are not qualified.
    Or perhaps the problem is consistency.

I think the solution, at least in the short run, is not to submit any cards for grading, but buy cards already graded.

$0.02
    Capecards
  • Options
    Trying to get a 10 from a pre 1975 issue is like pulling teeth.

Pre-1975?? Imagine the dissappointment when you can't get a 10 from 2006 productimage

I agree with others. I submit mostly modern and I've noticed a tightening of standards for 9's and 10's that's almost impossible to achieve. It's not on all subs, but I have about 500 cards I'm waiting to submit and I'm hesitant till I see a correction.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Oh, I don't know. My first June special submission had 30 cards, and popped in about 2 weeks with 18 PSA 10s, 11 PSA 9s, and 1 PSA 8.

The PSA 8 was a resubmission of an A-Rod rookie that got a PSA 8 previously.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Dozen free grades back recently.
    Right to tight.
    Certainly no breaks.
    7 to 8 got 7. Lock 7 got 7.
    don't know how they will treat it..........6
    Not forgiving on 68 OPC's I sent in.
    FDR
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    My latest submission was one of my best ever. It was a ticket submission. I have done three ticket submissions, and I feel this one graded out the best.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    dontippet......I understand...yours was a ticket grading....I have no idea how to grade tickets
    or even how they grade tickets, if you say yours were fine, thats fine--but that is tickets.

I do know how to grade cards though. I am here to tell you (and it looks like 90%+ agree)
    PSA is very tight right now on the card grades.

Tony
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Tony, I must be in the 10%. My 1961 Topps sub popped several weeks ago and I did better than I expected....

sub # 614001, zip 85331

Looks pretty good, huh? image
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I sent in some mid 1950s under August $13 special, my fifth submission. Used basis of other graded cards I bought, have not got cards back yet, but viewed grades and I was disappointed, all one below where I had placed them, in the 6 to 7 range.

Tim
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Trying to get a 10 from a pre 1975 issue is like pulling teeth.

Pre-1975?? Imagine the dissappointment when you can't get a 10 from 2006 productimage

I agree with others. I submit mostly modern and I've noticed a tightening of standards for 9's and 10's that's almost impossible to achieve. It's not on all subs, but I have about 500 cards I'm waiting to submit and I'm hesitant till I see a correction. >>

Frank,

You must be referring to your one sub where you hit zero 10's for a circa 100 card modern (2005 or 2006 SP Authentic) cards..... that was the most awful order I have ever seen. Not to mention my Miami Dolphin sub where every card was 1 or 2 grades lower than expected. Out of our 17 orders, 2 were misgraded.....

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I meant to refer to sub # 618650, zip 85331
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    My subs have been ok...just ok. I imagine the new graders are probably tougher because they have "something to prove". It also creates crack and resubs which is good for business. What they have to understand is that we want FAIR grades. It doesnt seem like it has been quite that way lately. I think its time that there is a bit more quality assurance going on at PSA.
    I guess I'll have to start looking for a lot of undergraded deals out there image
  • Options
    I am relatively new to this, and my first submission was only about 1 yr ago, so take my comments for what little they're probably worth! That said, my submissions this year included about 500 cards, mostly pre-1980 football, hockey, and baseball and generally pretty nice stuff. I would say about 1/2 the cards I sent in received the grades I expected, 1/4 graded lower than expected, and 1/4 somehow managed to grade higher than expected. The ones that were lower were mostly 8s that I thought had a very good chance at 9s, and a bunch that were EVID TRIM or MINSIZEREQ. Of the ones that PSA would not holder, they could be right on some, but many were cards I pulled directly from packs myself. One thing that was kind of funny was that 17 cards from one cello pack I opened came back 7-9 and three came back EVID TRIM. On the bright side, like I said about 50 percent graded as I expected and about 25 percent were 8s that I was sure we only come back as 7s. My two cents may not even be worth two cents, but there they are anyway! image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>I am relatively new to this, and my first submission was only about 1 yr ago, so take my comments for what little they're probably worth! That said, my submissions this year included about 500 cards, mostly pre-1980 football, hockey, and baseball and generally pretty nice stuff. I would say about 1/2 the cards I sent in received the grades I expected, 1/4 graded lower than expected, and 1/4 somehow managed to grade higher than expected. The ones that were lower were mostly 8s that I thought had a very good chance at 9s, and a bunch that were EVID TRIM or MINSIZEREQ. Of the ones that PSA would not holder, they could be right on some, but many were cards I pulled directly from packs myself. One thing that was kind of funny was that 17 cards from one cello pack I opened came back 7-9 and three came back EVID TRIM. On the bright side, like I said about 50 percent graded as I expected and about 25 percent were 8s that I was sure we only come back as 7s. My two cents may not even be worth two cents, but there they are anyway! image >>

Mike, sounds like you had some nice cards in your subs. I would gladly take the results you're receiving for my future subs. 50% right, 25% lower than expected, and 25% higher than expected. That would be a dream because you would be so much better off financially on a deal like that. Of course that's taking it from a sellers perspective. As a collector, I probably wouldn't be so thrilled if 25% of my cards came back lower than expected.

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Well, I take back what I said about PSA being "fine". I got back my first 2 submissions under the June special, and they were awful. Two grades in particular on one submission were an absolute joke. I don't even want to contemplate what the results will be for the other 2 submissions.

As a result, I am taking a break from grading indefinitely. At a minimum this means the rest of the year, and it likely means several months or longer. Wild fluctuations in applying the grading standards that they set forth make no sense.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    well the only June $5 special I sent in I was jipped on a couple of psa 10s that came back 9 and they do litterally blow away the psa 10s I have that are already slabbed.

I am not really complaining just adding something I have noticed.

Here is an example of the consistency problem.

Granted the 9 is not as centered as the 10 but I can post 10s with way worse centering then this 9 I am showing. Note the print/gloss of the picture of the one slabbed a 10. The picture print is terrible compared to the 9 not to mention the 10 has a really bad cut corner on the top right which is very noticeable with the naked eye! You should see what it looks like under 10X!

This is 2X

I dont know how many cards that have the same bad cut that I have tossed aside and said they will never grade that one a 10 look at the bad cut on the corner. Theres cardboard still hanging and its not cut all the way... If I knew they were handing out 10s on bad cuts on a corner. I could have had a bunch of 10s graded by now.

I wasnt going to post this here because I have one sub in and have fears of posting this. I read this whole topic and fear for my cards that are currently being graded. Wish I would have read this sooner. I'm sure 1/2 cards be a 10 and the other 1/2 be 9s. I can say the very last sub that came back was 8 cards under the $13 special and they all came back exactly what I expected them to. The sub I have in should pop today or tomorrow. I hope they dont slam me with poor grades when I know they are not. If thats the case I will crack the cases and sell them raw because I will get way more $ for them raw then as 8s or lower... I cant say I will not submit another sub for this year not unless the one I am waiting on comes back worse then it should...

EDIT UPDATE: The sub I have in just popped. 4 cards and 3 are exactly what I had expected there was one 8 but it doesnt matter that card is still short printed /75

PSA Order Status for Submission # 4535728

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 07233940 2007 TOPPS 40 DEREK JETER BUSH/MANTLE-GOLD 9
    2 07233941 2007 TOPPS CHR. MANTLE 140 MICKEY MANTLE HOME RUN HISTORY-REF. 10
    3 07233942 2007 TOPPS WAL-MART WM17 DEREK JETER N/A 10
    4 07233943 2007 UPPER DECK 163 DEREK JETER GOLD 8

Date Received: 08/28/2007
    Date of Grades Posted: 09/05/2007
    Date Shipped: No Date Specified

Looks like I will be still submitting for the rest of the year. Still this topic scared me. I was dreading on getting 8 on that topps gold Jeter card and woulda sucked to get 9s on the mantle and Wal-Mart Jeter as well.... On this very order I noticed a few mistakes and I called PSA. They took care of the problem right away. Very impressed with the quick correction!
  • Options
    I completely agree, I got back some cards that I thought - going on previous submissions - should have been certain 9's but have come back 8's. I don't normally play the crack and submit game but I will on this occasion.