Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

International shipment advice

A few months back I sold some coins on ebay to a buyer in Russia. (I didn't mention anywhere in the auction that I would ship to Russia, but that is another matter) I shipped the coins anyway and the tracking number only tells me that the electronic shipping info was received on the day I mailed them, but gives no information after that. This tells me the coins never left the post office I shipped them from.

I asked the clerk about it and he said that was just a customs number and it wouldn't have tracking information on it. This is a small town and I suspect not many international shipments are made, and that the man was talking out of his arse. The seller has not received the items is the point of this post.
MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

Comments

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    First of all you shouldn't have sent anything to Russia...their postal system is as corrupt as it can get. Secondly, if you sent the packet Registered then the lack of follow-up info at the other end just means the packet left the U.S.. The USPS doesn't track outside of U.S. borders but as a Registered packet someone must sign for it at the other end. If you didn't send it Registered then consider everything a loss. I think Russia is even more corrupt than China nowadays...
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess I can kiss that $100 goodbye!!!

Lesson learned. I had a guy from Russia ask me if I'd ship a recent ebay half crown to russia, I said to the effect "no way".

Arent these international parcels insured $100 anyway? Or is that void when shipping to russia?
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can be insured if you used Registered Mail and marked 'with insurance' and put in an amount. Collecting on the insurance is another matter.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    From the USPS website:

Insurance
    Available for Express Mail International merchandise shipments only

Registered Mail
    Fee: $10.15
    Maximum Indemnity: $43.73

• Options

<< <i>From the USPS website:

Insurance
    Available for Express Mail International merchandise shipments only

Registered Mail
    Fee: $10.15
    Maximum Indemnity: $43.73 >>

However:

<< <i>Coins; banknotes; currency notes, including paper money; securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler’s checks; platinum, gold, and silver; precious stones; jewelry; watches; and other valuable articles are prohibited in Express Mail International shipments to Russia. >>

So no insurance for coins/banknotes.
    Roy