Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fun with 1978 Topps Baseball negatives...

A some of you know, I moved away from graded cards and began collecting original film a couple of years ago. Recently, I came across a group of 120 slides of 1978 topps baseball cards. They were film duplicates that someone made off the masters. Because of the fact they were duplicates, the images when blown up to 8x12 or larger get really grainy. Still, to have the photos (including some odd outtakes and alternate poses to the regular Topps issue), in slide form enables me to go larger than simple scans would and I have been doing a '53-style artwork effect on the 78's in Photoshop. I did the template on a square as I took creative license--and it was easier to crop. Fun with cards & photos!

Comments

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Awesome! Where do you get these negatives? I've seen your stuff on here a lot and I have always wondered about the origin. And are they expensive?

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Thanks! I bought the negatives in a huge estate lot that was FULL of sports 35mm slides. There were 4000 slides all alphabet-ordered. You could tell the guy was a collector of some import. Sadly, they had been stored very poorly for over 20 years. Generally a card-negative can vary from 10 bucks to thousands. I purchased George Brett's 1979 Original Topps negative for exactly 1K two years ago.
    Here's a Madlock...

It got compressed a bit in the upload...I'll have to fix it...you get the idea.