Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Getting started grading/selling advice

Greetings, I am a longtime collector and am now looking to unload a good chunk of my cards since I recently bought a house that I can't afford image

Anyways, I have signed up for PSA and sent in the first 6 and have about 30 more ready to submit that I feel are gradeworthy. I collected most of my cards from 89-91 like the rest of the world and have not been exposed grading until recently. However, I have learned a great deal lurking on this board and ebay.

I was hoping that yall could provide some advice on selling and grading.

Particularly ebay - is this the best way for someone to sell their cards (keep in mind I have neither the time or $ to travel to shows)?

What is the best way for someone to build up credibility on ebay? Will my cards sell for substantially lower if I don't have 100's of sales.

What is the best way to grade cards? Using the bulk service or regular? I have a lot of cards that probably are worth < $75 but should I even have cards that might get 5,6's graded?

I have valued the collection at 10K+ but it could be anywhere from 5-20K depending on PSA.

FYI in case yall are looking, here's a few that I have:

- 2 Ryan rookies (probably a 6 and a 7) Ryan: 1969,70,71,72,74 (all 6+)

- Tom Seaver 1967 Rookie (likely a 7)

- hundreds of 1961 and 1962 football and baseball commons (including 15+ 1961 baseball high numbers) These vary in condition, but most are 4-6 IMO.

- just about every famous rookie card (most in super condition) from 1965-1980 (joe morgan, carlton fisk, rod carew, george brett (2), schmidt, ripken, 84 update Clemens, Steve Carlton, joe montana, ricky henderson (2), johnny bench, etc

Again, I plan to grade a majority of the cards. Is it worth grading cards that are in marginal condition? I guess it depends on a number of factors.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Selling 1965-1980 psa rookie stars
Selling 1961-1962 commons, stars, and high numbers baseball and football

Comments

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in the Seaver rookie and then you'd have some $$ for grading
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>What is the best way for someone to build up credibility on ebay? Will my cards sell for substantially lower if I don't have 100's of sales. >>

I think the best way is to buy some stuff first. That is what I did!!!! then you can start with some smaller $$$$$ cards to build up your reputation as a seller....

Once you have built up that reputation then list you higher dollar stuff.

Your cards have the potential to sell for alot less than a seller with 100's of sales. However, if you sell the right way you should come out OK. The right way is with a quality detailed listing, great scans, multiple payment methods(I.E. pay pal) cheap shipping, and a refund policy.

<< <i>$75 but should I even have cards that might get 5,6's graded? >>

<< <i>I plan to grade a majority of the cards. Is it worth grading cards that are in marginal condition? I guess it depends on a number of factors. >>

that depends on the card and the value, your 67 seaver rookie and 68 ryan... Yes graded them even if they are 5 or 6's.... this helps provide the buyers some insurance that the cards you are listing are authentic and un-altered.

A 1991 topps Wade Boggs that is a 6 or 7.... NO don't grade them.. image

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Scan the cards and show them here before guessing your grades. New submitters overgrade their cards roughly 100% of the time.
  • Options
    And turn your PM on
  • Options
    Most mid grade stuff from the years you have listed are not worth grading except for superstar rookies and players like Mantle, Mays Etc. Any PSA graded card will do ok on ebay with a low feedback rating but you might want to mention that you are not a normal ebay seller and the reason you are selling off your collection. Raw cards are harder to get a good price without good feedback. Also take paypal as this gives the buyers some protection if you turn out to be a bad seller, without it you will not get very good sales prices on many of your cards.

As another poster mentioned, put up a couple scans here of cards you are thinking of submitting to psa. I wish I would have, it would have saved me a ton of money. Until you understand how psa grades you will be wasting money.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Scan the cards and show them here before guessing your grades. New submitters overgrade their cards roughly 100% of the time. >>

Agreed, if I were you I would scan and post some of your higher $$ cards that you think are in the best condition to start off.

BTW- image
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, especially about the grading. I am trying not to over-judge the cards and be unrealistic about the potential $$

However, after researching hundreds of scans of similar condition graded cards, I feel that I have some pretty good value there. I will post scans when I can get them made.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Hi -

I wish you the best. I started selling on ebay about three years ago and I didn't know jack. I am not
    a big seller, but I have learned much since then.

Here are a few suggestions:

1 - Have good scans

2 - Start with low end stuff and work yourself up

3 - You might have to buy a few cards just to get a sense of PSA grading standard. FYI, most
    cards are not worth submitting to PSA and then for resale. Research and more research on what
    is worth submitting for grading.

4- Use delivery confirmation or insurance for items over X amount. You have to decide for yourself.
    I use DC for 10.00 to 20.00. Anything over 20.00, I charge insurance. My feedback score is now
    98 with 100% feedback.

5- Pack your items well and securely.

Good luck.

Tom
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi -

I wish you the best. I started selling on ebay about three years ago and I didn't know jack. I am not
    a big seller, but I have learned much since then.

Here are a few suggestions:

1 - Have good scans

2 - Start with low end stuff and work yourself up

3 - You might have to buy a few cards just to get a sense of PSA grading standard. FYI, most
    cards are not worth submitting to PSA and then for resale. Research and more research on what
    is worth submitting for grading.

4- Use delivery confirmation or insurance for items over X amount. You have to decide for yourself.
    I use DC for 10.00 to 20.00. Anything over 20.00, I charge insurance. My feedback score is now
    98 with 100% feedback.

5- Pack your items well and securely.

Good luck.

Tom >>

good advice and if you are a smoker let your cards air out before mailng them.
  • Options
    I am a nonsmoker, thank goodness.

"FYI, most
    cards are not worth submitting to PSA and then for resale"

I figured an average investment of $20/card to increase a card's value 2-3 times depending on condition.

I planned to submit any card I felt worth 50+ and roll the dice. Probably won't get great grades, but I feel that I might get 1 or 2 10's out of the 14 1989 griffey upper decks I have. So I feel like it's worth it.

I am trying to weigh my options at this point. But I will spend 500-750 on grading if I feel I can generate twice that in sales.
  • Options
    a) turn your PM on (go into your profile and select that option).

b) note that there are Monthly Specials at PSA, so if you're planning to submit something towards the end of the month, wait a few days to see if there's a special.

c) read these boards -- they are chuck full of priceless information.
  • Options
    Going to try to post this image, these are some of the highlights, what do you think I might get?

• Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Seaver and Mantle look like 6's to me...Mantle certainly because of centering issues. Seaver is centered nicely, but corner wear looks enough to prevent 7 grade. Best of luck!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.