Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin World's report on the 2009 platinum program

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, so the quick rundown is, they're going to start using privy marks-- eagles, so they can focus on making some really beautiful designs without having to use an eagle as a main focal point. This will give them a LOT of creative freedom to stun us with original, breath-taking designs.

*reads further...*

"the six year proposal called for designs representative of themes in the Constitution's preamble: "We the People., "Equal Justice.", "Insure Domestic Tranquility", "Provide Common Defense" "Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and our Prosperity" and ""Promote General Welfare".

Wow, Spectacular. The "Promote General Welfare" coin should be a real head turner. image
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Is it the law that an eagle has to be on the coin?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, so the quick rundown is, they're going to start using privy marks-- eagles, so they can focus on making some really beautiful designs without having to use an eagle as a main focal point. This will give them a LOT of creative freedom to stun us with original, breath-taking designs.

*reads further...*

"the six year proposal called for designs representative of themes in the Constitution's preamble: "We the People., "Equal Justice.", "Insure Domestic Tranquility", "Provide Common Defense" "Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and our Prosperity" and ""Promote General Welfare".

Wow, Spectacular. The "Promote General Welfare" coin should be a real head turner. image >>

LOL! The first time I read through that it came out "Promote General Warfare."

"Calling Dr. Freud! Calling Dr. Freud!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Is it the law that an eagle has to be on the coin?

Yes. Every American Eagle coin must depict an eagle on the reverse.

I read the article online last week and feel very exited about the upcoming coins (not to mention that 2008 is going to be a real head turner and 2007 is beautiful)!!!
  • Excellent news for the platinum series! Thanks for posting this!
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, now we have the designs of the new 2009 W platinum coin in CW that features a hand balancing a "mary-Jane" plant with spaghetti roots.image

"To form a more perfect union" is placed above the 13-leafed plant starting a new series.

The pic does not show the eagle privy mark.

Ren
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the designs will be terrific, but the themes look like they came out of a committee of politicians hoping to get re-elected. Hopefully, the actual designs will have more depth and substance than the titles indicate. I'm also disappointed that some of these themes seem redundant with other recent designs.

And then the question: will they really do them at all?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    "Promote General Warfare."

A plat proof with an F-15 Eagle on it would be great!
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Possible designs for the 2009 platinum Eagle and the privy mark will be reviewed by the CCAC next Friday at 9am at the Baltimore Convention Center, room 316.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Not really a platinum collector but it would seem that there is some freedom now on the 24K gold series. The minimum requirements for the Gold Buffalo have now been met and I believe that the design can change yearly if the mint chooses to do so.
  • JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭

<< <i>Not really a platinum collector but it would seem that there is some freedom now on the 24K gold series. The minimum requirements for the Gold Buffalo have now been met and I believe that the design can change yearly if the mint chooses to do so. >>

We can only hope. I would like to see the design change every year from here on.

• coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302

<< <i>Not really a platinum collector but it would seem that there is some freedom now on the 24K gold series. The minimum requirements for the Gold Buffalo have now been met and I believe that the design can change yearly if the mint chooses to do so. >>

Interesting. I was going to defer purchasing the fractional gold buffalos until a later year when the mintages would be smaller, but it might be worth getting them now if this is the start of a changing reverse series. Has the Mint announced any intentions of doing this?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    2008 is the last year for me. Unless their is a real spectacular design, I will be passing on these.

<< <i>"Promote General Warfare."

A plat proof with an F-15 Eagle on it would be great! >>

I personally prefer the F/A-18D, but then I'm biased.image

Ren

• All I can say is that form what I have seen of the possible reverse designs it makes me ill.

Very sad.

It looks like 2008 may be my last platinum eagle as well.
    imageimage
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    There needs to be an open competition for Coin Designs. These US Mint people are so unimaginative. Teddy Roosevelt knew what to do.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unity Theme of 2009 Platinum Eagle
    By Numismatic News
    August 07, 2008

Making a design recommendation to the Treasury secretary for the reverse of the proof 2009 platinum American Eagle was a prime order of business for members of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee Aug. 1 at a public meeting held in conjunction with the American Numismatic Association convention in Baltimore.

Chairman Mitch Sanders led the deliberations.

Theme of the new reverse is to be "To Form a More Perfect Union." To explain what this means, CCAC members had a short essay written by Chief Justice of the United States John G. Roberts Jr.

At the end of the discussion the CCAC recommended a design that features four heads in profile that shows off the racial diversity of America. The design is similar to a design that CCAC had taken a fancy to and made a second choice for the reverse of the Sacagawea dollar in 2009.

Other possibilities included fasces, familiar to Mercury dime collectors, plants, trees and interlocking hands as well as allegorical embodiments of Justice, Liberty and Unity.

Member Gary Marks told Coin Chat Radio about a recommendation in the CCAC annual report that asks for parallel circulating coinage that would be commemoratives depicting Liberty.

Beginning in 2010, it is recommended that alongside the Kennedy half dollar a Liberty half be struck for circulation. In 2011, there would be a Liberty quarter in addition to any other quarters that year. In 2012, there would be a Liberty dime along with the Roosevelt piece. In 2012 there would be a Liberty nickel and in 2014 the would be a Liberty cent.

The CCAC said good-bye to Rita Laws and Bill Fivaz, whose terms have expired.

NN Link

Beginning in 2010, it is recommended that alongside the Kennedy half dollar a Liberty half be struck for circulation. In 2011, there would be a Liberty quarter in addition to any other quarters that year. In 2012, there would be a Liberty dime along with the Roosevelt piece. In 2012 there would be a Liberty nickel and in 2014 the would be a Liberty cent.

Is this what Moy was talking about, a new renaissance U.S. coinage?

I would like to see this "parallel coinage" to supplant the "Dead Presidents."

Liberty cent in 2014...out of aluminum, steel, plastic(?)

Ren
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    no....

not the four heads....

what kind of PC bs is that?

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Liberty cent in 2014...out of aluminum, steel, plastic(?)

I think cyber cents would be cool. Swipe a card and into a reader your pennies are loaded onto it - after a while you might have a whole dollar - whoopie!

Or how about the Store donating all Penny Credits to a Charity of the month or week?

The 1 cent coin is done - let's be done with it.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I hope the mint reconsiders the designs for these coins before its too late.
  • RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no....

not the four heads....

what kind of PC bs is that? >>

The bottom two look a little like Obama and Hilliary Clinton. Ah, the political season....!
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Lots of Eagle's out there to pick from....

...OK, or more traditional will work too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file