Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

First Spouse Coins are Modern Gold Commemoratives

For some reason these "Commemorative" Gold Coins are now just listed in the registry as Bullion Coins?

Granted, that is an upgrade from the medals category they were initially placed in.

Now the Eagle & Buffalo coins are clearly bullion. These are clearly NOT Bullion coins, but modern Gold Commemorative Coins.

The mint states the following as a definition of a "Commemorative" Coin.

Commemorative Coins
Authorized by Congress, commemorative coins typically celebrate and honor American people, places, historic events, and institutions.
Commemorative coins are only available directly from the United States Mint for a limited time.

-------------------------

The First Spouse Coins are clearly as much a Commemorative Coin as a Jackie Robinson Gold coin is, If not more. Except the Robinson Coin is a $5 dollar coin and Martha Washington is a $10 Dollar Coin.

Please correct this error!

Comments

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    FYI

Teletrade lists the Spouse coins under "Modern Gold Commems"

& Dolly Madison already has a commemorative $1 coin..... Just add her $10 coin to the list.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    If they were mass produced, I would agree with the bullion classification, since they are .9999 fine gold, but 40K per design is very limited production. Additionally, they're neither commemoratives nor medals; so what are they?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>If they were mass produced, I would agree with the bullion classification, since they are .9999 fine gold, but 40K per design is very limited production. Additionally, they're neither commemoratives nor medals; so what are they? >>

Modern Crap.

I had to say it. I personally would put them in a category by themselves. They are not commems, nor bullion.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim: I tend to agree with you - PCGS could easily create a Modern Gold Commem variety set which also includes all the spouse coins along with the other gold Commems, as well as a separate Spouse Gold Commem set. Or, they could simply include these coins along with the other Gold Commems. Medals was totally the wrong place to put them and bullion is probably not right either.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    If these were commemoratives, there would have been surcharges associated with the theme of the commemoration e.g. the Little Rock Commemorative has the following surcharge:

"Surcharges for the sale of these coins are authorized to be paid to the Secretary of the Interior for the protection, preservation, and interpretation of resources and stories associated with Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site, including site improvements at Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site, development of interpretive and education programs and historic preservation projects, and the establishment of cooperative agreements to preserve or restore the historic character of the Park Street and Daisy L. Gatson Bates Drive corridors adjacent to the site."

PCGS placed them in the Bullion category because otherwise they couldn't give them "First Strike" designations.

They should be listed under the $10 Gold category.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    They dang sure ain't commemoratives!
    Keep them out of the commemoratives registry!image
  • Options

<< <i>Jim: I tend to agree with you - PCGS could easily create a Modern Gold Commem variety set which also includes all the spouse coins along with the other gold Commems, as well as a separate Spouse Gold Commem set. Or, they could simply include these coins along with the other Gold Commems. Medals was totally the wrong place to put them and bullion is probably not right either.

Wondercoin >>

I'm sorry, I don't mean to rain on anyone’s parade, but to expect PCGS to create a new set in order to take care of a “new” mint issue is laughable! PCGS still hasn’t taken care of the “Satin Finish vs. Business Strike” issue since it was created back in 2005 for all the modern denominations.

Now to call these “First Spouse” coins commemoratives is a stretch, what is the metal content? Are they ninety percent gold or are they 24k gold (.9999 fine)? Bullion is bullion no matter what the design on the coin is. Are the platinum coins commemoratives? image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim: Interestingly - that is exactly what Teletrade sells the proof platinum as - "Platinum Commemoratives".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    "I'm sorry, I don't mean to rain on anyone’s parade, but to expect PCGS to create a new set in order to take care of a “new” mint issue is laughable! "

$10 gold is not a new category.

"Are they ninety percent gold or are they 24k gold (.9999 fine)? "

Read my first post.

"Bullion is bullion no matter what the design on the coin is."

Bullion coins are coins whose value is primarily determined by their precious metal content; these are not bullion coins.

• Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    It makes sense that the 1st Spouses get moved under the commemoratives as that is exactly what they are doing, commemorating the spouses of each President. Otherwise it would be somewhat arguable that all gold coins are bullion including the 1907 UHR DE. Just bullion.

While in my opinion the Mint drives me to tears with their inability to properly manage the distribution mechanisms for their handywork, I think that their definition of bullion should be the defining criteria. image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with the modern crap............since that is what they are!

I didn't think the mint could come up with designs butt uglier that the SBA and IkE and that awful Saq dollar, but boy they did!