Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I'm going to Greece!

Is there anything I should be aware of numismatically? Are those ancients sold in marketplaces fakes?
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    bring a Nomex suit if you are going anytime soon.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bring a Nomex suit if you are going anytime soon. >>

Next week... I'm sure the Greece fires will be out by then.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's our resident Greek been, lately?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take or rant a metal detector-. image
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greece (in common with other homelands of ancient civilizations) has very strict laws against plundering of their cultural heritage. It's illegal to buy, sell, export or even own any ancient artefacts, including coins (with "ancient" in this case defined as "anything made before Greek independence in the early 1800's") without a permit.

It is, however, perfectly legal to make, buy and sell fake ones. Needless to say, all the "ancient coins" you might find for sale in the markets will be fakes, made for sale to tourists. The customs officials can hopefully tell the difference.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Next week... I'm sure the Greece fires will be out by then. >>

We were there in mid-July and the fires were burning then.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Take or rant a metal detector-. image >>

And if you do, be sure to bring about $1 million in bail money. You'll need it.
  • Options

<< <i>Greece (in common with other homelands of ancient civilizations) has very strict laws against plundering of their cultural heritage. It's illegal to buy, sell, export or even own any ancient artefacts, including coins (with "ancient" in this case defined as "anything made before Greek independence in the early 1800's") without a permit.

It is, however, perfectly legal to make, buy and sell fake ones. Needless to say, all the "ancient coins" you might find for sale in the markets will be fakes, made for sale to tourists. The customs officials can hopefully tell the difference. >>

Cool, thanks for the info! I specialize in paying good money for fakes. image
  • Options

<< <i> I specialize in paying good money for fakes] image
  • Options
    I'm back!

I didn't see any fires, but I sure saw a lot of coins for sale in the Athens marketplaces! Phone card collecting is big out there, too. I didn't pick anything up, tho. The place was expensive enough with the ailing dollar.