Home Metal Detecting
Options

Geez, the playground across the street was filled with coins

There's a kids' playscape directly across the street from my house. I take my 10- and 12-year-olds there all the time. While they play, I detect.
Here's what I've found since June. Actually, I've found more than this--I've given out a lot to the multitude of kids who constantly ask what I'm doing.
Incidentally, I have a question: To detect gold, my machine has to be on "all-metal" mode, and there's just to much crap to wade through with that. Is there a more expensive machine that will detect gold specifically?

Comments

• Options
    There are many Gold specific detectors available Guy. All the way from $99 to $5000+
    Check out Kellyco's Gold Detector Page
  • Options
    >>To detect gold, my machine has to be on "all-metal" mode<<

What detector do you use?

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most machines will detect gold if your discrimination is set low enough (below pulltab rejection range).

If I understand the gist of your question correctly, the sad news is no, unfortunately there is no "magic bullet" that will allow you to detect gold without having to deal with tons of small bits of aluminum, lead, and so on. The conductivity of gold and such trash metals is too similar.

Yes, there are machines made especially for gold nugget hunting and such- these are highly sensitive machines with little or no discrimination. However, were you to use such a machine on a playground or similar urban site, you would still have to deal with the trash.

You just have to dig it all and hope the law of averages allows you the occasional single piece of gold for every one or two hundred or more bits of aluminum foil, pulltabs, etc. Or just ignore the low- to midrange signals and focus on coinlike targets. This means little or no gold, but less hassle.

In the end, you just have to decide your strategy, based on the sort of site you are hunting. If it is not very trashy and you don't mind the extra digging, set your discrimination as low as possible and dig everything. This will increase your odds of gold and other goodies. If, on the other hand, the site is trashy and the extra digging is driving you crazy, be a little more selective and use higher discrimination. It is a tradeoff.

I look at it this way- my hours to spend detecting are limited, so I usually do not waste my time on low-range signals unless I am on a pristine relic hunting spot in a rural area where I am digging everything and where most targets will be old, with a minimum of modern trash. By so doing, I cost myself some gold rings and such on those urban sites, but I save myself a lot of fruitless labor.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. image

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. image G Man >>

HuH???
    ;-) Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam = I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Jerry, I was just being silly. Translate Rob's sig line that's in latin. image
    G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Jerry, I was just being silly. Translate Rob's sig line that's in latin. image G. >>

Cool: http://mssamantics.us/language/l-latin.htm

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage