Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Jewish Coin? Can someone help?

Can anyone tell me anything about this ancient coin??? Namley, what it is called, date range, and potential value if any

Link to Supersize

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's Morocco, not Israel. Let me check the catalog.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, looks to be a Moroccan Falus (check 19th Century Krause) - can't make any of the letters out on the reverse to tell the year. It's supposed to be under the horizontal line on the reverse.
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    I believe that's a Mizuna (sp?) from an Arabic country.

Edited to add: Yeah, a Falus, that's what I meant.

Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    Thank you gentlemen! I will try and stump you tomorrow with some 15th Century stuff I have.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Morocco. Not completely sure, but I think if you rotate the non-star side of the coin 90 degrees anticlockwise, it'll be right way up, with a date below the line something like 1203 (or perhaps 1283) in the Islamic calendar.

The five-pointed or six-pointed star is called the "Seal of Solomon" when used on Islamic coins. The Seal of Solomon (the five-pointed variety) is still on the coat of arms and coins of modern Morocco.

The Star of David is never found on ancient Jewish coinage (or any other ancient Jewish artefact); it apparently became a Jewish symbol only during the middle ages.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)