Home Sports Talk
Options

Vick. Are the feelings of him racially motivated?

zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I was reading an article on ESPN and then some of the user comments there. I didn't really see it as a racial issue.

What do you think?
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    While I don't think that the feelings are racial, I do have to think on some level the *amount* of coverage and bile directed at him is indeed racially motivated.

edited for spelling.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was reading an article on ESPN and then some of the user comments there. I didn't really see it as a racial issue.

What do you think? >>

I didnt read the ESPN article but I am sure a lot of people are thinking that dog fighting might be a trend for mainly African-Americans, I disagree though and think it is a black market type sport enjoyed by far too many people regardless of race.
  • Options
    If it was Tom Brady in Michael Vick's situation I doubt that the coverage and outrage would be any less than it is for Vick.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I don't see it as a racial issue.

What I see is another spoiled, overpaid pampered athlete who surrounds himself with a**kissing yes-men, and thinks the laws are for other people and don't apply to His Highness.

$0.02

Capecards
  • Options

<< <i>If it was Tom Brady in Michael Vick's situation I doubt that the coverage and outrage would be any less than it is for Vick. >>

Brady fathering a child out of wedlock with a woman he no longer is involved with isn't met with any outrage at all, because he's white and the mother is hot. I didn't read or see a single negative report about Brady setting a bad example or being a poor role model.

I am not comparing the two events (as impregnating a woman isn't illegal, dogfighting is), simply comparing the media's treatment of two superstar NFL QBs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brady fathering a child out of wedlock with a woman he no longer is involved with isn't met with any outrage at all, because he's white and the mother is hot. I didn't read or see a single negative report about Brady setting a bad example or being a poor role model.

Difference there (apart from the obvious) is that fathering achild out of wedlock has become commonplace in our society, and is generally not frowned upon unless the father is a deadbeat dad. There is no indication that Brady plans not to fully support this child, financially, at the the very least. Travis Henry on the other hand...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grote very good points, If I can add that Brady was present during the birth of his child and was there to support Moynahan and their newborn.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it was Tom Brady in Michael Vick's situation I doubt that the coverage and outrage would be any less than it is for Vick. >>

Probably worse, nice white bread Brady involved in a ghetto ring
  • Options

<< <i>Ax, your always comparing apples to airline jets. >>

I couldn't have said it better image

Axtroll, Brady knocking up some chick doesn't even remotely compare to what Vick has done. Hell you know what reputation athletes have for women chasing. It's an every day event. With Vick we're talking about atrocities to our beloved pets, man's best friend etc... If you ever owned a dog you'd know what I'm talking about. They're like your kids if you're a parent or your brother or sister if you're a kid. THAT is what has brought about such an outrage, not the man's color.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    There's no way any of the animosity towards vick is racially motivated. There is a ton of animosity towards him because of his actions, and because he was the enabler of the whole mess, by using his money and his property. I don't think even he would be foolish enough at this point to try and play the race card.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to pretend there aren't a few racist yahoos who do see this in terms of color, as just another example of a person of the "wrong" color doing bad things.

But these people are idiots whose opinions aren't worth considering. Their opinions don't even deserve to be included in the discussion because they are so malevolent, so virulent and so toxic. And fortunately, a relatively small minority in this day and age.

For the most part, no, I don't think people are seeing color. What they are seeing are dogs being abused and killed. Many of these people grew up with dogs -- many remember them as forever loyal, forever trusting, forever their friend unconditionally...and thinking about a few bad apples violating that trust and proving unworthy of that unconditional loyalty. And they start thinking people who would do this to dogs are scum. That's what I see, anyway.
  • Options
    I didn't say it was purely race, but the pure volume of coverage on the Vick situation has to be somewhat racially biased.

Doesn't anyone else find it odd that it's been the lead story on ESPN every day since it happened? And that tonight, during the MNF telecast, that's *all* they talked about? Isn't it strange that instead of talking about the plays on the field, the crew in the booth talked non-stop about Vick, his pleading today, etc. etc.?

No, I don't think it's the sole, or main reason for the Vick coverage. But the pure volume of coverage is very, very disturbing.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    it'll be the main story till somebody else does something stupid,then it will go away-from what i got out of it i heard of his speech can be pretty well summed up in 5 words "im sorry i got caught"
  • Options
    i find it intereting that every single time something happens to a black person it's ALWAYS racially motivated.

How is it that all the other races don't share the same feeling, you mean we are all trying to bring down the black man?

Enough, take responsability for your actions - btw, the reason that Vick is getting so much attention vs Brady is that what Brady did is done every minute and not a shocker plus he's not committing felonies nor is he killing dogs.

How could this story not get this type of attention? Vick is one of the biggest names in sports and with all the details in the indictments there should be outrage and it should be shocking. What he has admitted to doing is terrible and deserves the outrage.

But for all the people who want to believe that it is all racially motivated please put your head back in the sand!
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    The entire human race...

should be repulsed by Mr Vicks' actions.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    This gets a lot of coverage because he's rich & famous, just as Paris Hilton is. Lets be honest, her problems are nothing like his yet she was/is constantly on the news and the covers of magazines. Does her problems warrant such coverage? No, but she's rich & famous and the media jumps on it every chance they get until something more interesting comes along.

ESPN leads with it because it's news involving a high profile sports player. It was all over MNF last night because... duh. His plea was put in yesterday and the game involved his former team. Seems logical to me. You cannot accuse ESPN for being racially biased in their coverage either. If that were the case, then why is it that the only two athletes they seem to show lately is Tiger Woods and Bonds? It often cracks me up when they show 15 Tiger highlights from his round, then they say he's in 7th place. Then they show 1 highlight of the leader, which is usually only because he made a hole in one. I know he is the best golfer and the most popular... but c'mon. Same with Bonds. Please just show me the 1 homerun highlight, not the 2 walks and a strikeout too.
  • Options
    Maybe Vick can rehabilitate himself, Adopt Brittany Spears kids... then train them to become superb ultimate fighters using his patented "methods" from his dogs; and Owen Wilson can be the "cut" man.

I think it would make quite a reality show. Either that or a lifetime movie of the week. Race isnt the issue, its athletes and celebrities who are morons, unfit parents, thugs et.al. They are already in the public eye, so when they screw up royally its what people talk about.

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    To say that this coverage is very disturbing is pretty silly considering Vick at one time was the number 1 or 2 personality in the NFL. Whenever the case is shocking and involves big names it will get beat to death. Duke Lacrosse case (white guys), Kobe (black guy) etc.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vick is scum, he murdered dogs for his own enjoyment. Dogs have feelings and experience fear/pain.

Those dogs went through a living hell.

His mother is a joke, "going to jail for what", she stated. You don't know.

She is probably more upset that Nike dropped Vick, and the NFL may ban him from football.

His actions are disgusting, and unexcuseable. If I were sitting on the bench 10 years boy!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO