Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fishing Raw on Ebay and your Catch was a Keeper?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I read the 93-s Morgan thread "Are people seriously this uneducated?"

Where someone mentioned they feel sorry for the bidders whom are bidding on a counterfeit coin.

This hobby has changed with the Vice Pres. Gore's discovery of the worldwide web, and information is only a Google or Yahoo search away.

No longer is one forced to buy the book first (but you should), visit a coin store, or library for research.

Should one feel sorry for the collectors who are buying Cleaned AU coins in Gem or Superb Gem BU "Third World Party" holders also?

Just like anything else in life if it smells to good to be true... it's Fishy!

As there is no free lunch in numismatics, or as y'all here on the forum say "Nice coins aren't Cheap, and Cheap coins aren't Nice."

Anyhow I've been Once (actually a lot more) Bitten, Twice Shy on buying anything Raw via a Digital Image on the web.

As it's normally had to be returned prior to leaving the Post Office parking lot do to having issues.

Thankfully the sellers had good feedback, and a return policy!

Anyhow this is the only item a HT-M21 I've ever kept, and invite others to share their Raw Treasures.

Note: I hope I'm not coming across as cold, but I may be a bit numb from watching all this idiocy unfold.

As you can only give back to the hobby if the other party is willing to lend an open ear.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    That's lovely! I do a lot of raw, I win some........image

imageimage
    Becky
  • I bought a raw saint for MS62 money that I sent to NGC and it came back MS64.

It was a lucky draw from a very honest seller.

But, I would never try that again.image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Those good sellers get rewarded by customers buying again.

The bad sellers get their junk back in the mail.

That's how it should work image
    Ed
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one was a keeper! image

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    1848 Gibert Stuart U. S. mint medal, raw from the bay.

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for AU examples on ebay ... someone has to have found one or two by now image

HE>I

• 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    These were raw when I won them off of eBayimage Luckily, they all eventually slabbed at PCGS. This was about the extent of my eBay 'raw key date' buying, as most likely I would have ended up getting burned somewhere along the way...

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • some nice snags off of FeeBay. go figure image <sarcasm>
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow some really nice "Raw" finds... Lovin image that 1848 Gibert Stuart U. S. mint medal with the orig box! image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a picture, but I picked up a very nice raw 1921-S Lincoln cent that would grade MS63RB (or better). There was no image in the auction so I bid XF money. Needless to say, I was shocked when I recieved the coin although I'd never do it again. Some times you just get lucky.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The seller didn't know this was a rare Pan-Pac medal, so he listed it under US Dollars with bad pics to hide the damage.

imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Buying raw on Ebay is a gamble plain and simple.

The further you go from the 3rd tier holders, cleaned, damaged, and sometimes even fake garbage to true quality, undervalued bonafide treasures, the exponentially narrower the odds become. If you like gambling, the idea is educate yourself, devise a strategy, minimize your downside risk as much as possible, and when you are ready, place a bet.

If you don't like risk, by all means, you can go to Heritage and pay + or - 20% of 63 money for a certified 63 that is most likely + or - 20% quality 63; not too much risk, not too much upside potential. And in the near future, it sounds like there may be stickers on some of those 63 slabs that minimize those parameters even further. It is certainly easier to loose money buying raw coins than it is to make money, but if you are willing to play those odds the upside can be tremendous.

Compared to most of you, I buy VERY few coins a year - maybe 3 to 5 - so I am by no means an expert buyer and seller. However, of the few coins I do buy, several were purchased raw from Ebay, and for the most part I had very good experiences. By qualifying the sellers (asking pointed questions, checking to see that their histories matched their stories, etc.) and by being very specific about what I was after, I was able to build a collection that I could not have afforded by any other means.

• jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Both of these toned beauties were bought raw on ebay. The grades are nothing special (both are MS64), but they sure look nice and are a couple of the nicest examples I have seen from these issues. The ebay seller in both auctions had real bad photos and did not describe how nice the tone was. I paid next to nothing for both of them.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $9 Raw and shipped to me, another $30 to be graded and shipped from PCGS...BV is $1500

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Jeez, what a pack of wimps.

I have bought hundreds of US coins on eBay, mostly in the $10-150 range,
    that have sold for multiples of what I paid. That includes probably a roll of AU-BU+
    Barber dimes for $10 or less. With the explosion of storefront eBay consignment
    stores Ray Charles could make a good living just buying and selling on the 'bay.
    Sure, you have to wade through a lot of crap, but there are many treasures out there
    waiting for a knowledgable bidder. You have to be able to do refined searches and
    be able to tweak lousy scans to your benefit. Here is just one of the many advanced
    techniques I use -- When a scan is too dark to see the detail level I save the scan and
    kick it into Paint. Under IMAGE there is an INVERT COLOR button. Then blow that image
    up. Works especially well with copper coins scanned too darkly.

So quit complaining and hiding in the bushes. If you don't trust your eye to grade
    properly you will be looking at just a small fraction of the coins out there, those in
    plastic.

Big Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Point Big Steve! Guess I'm form the X-Files generation of "Trust No One" when it comes to Internet Raw? I'll buy Raw at a shop or show, as I'm more comfortable without a Buy It Now button. image
  • CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    This was a raw purchase on Ebay. Paid AU money for it and it graded MS64 at PCGS. One of my favorites.

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Bought this one raw, now it's PCGS XF40:
    imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file