Home Sports Talk
Options

Surprise NFL team for 2007 on a positive note

gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
This should be for teams that aren't expected to go anywhere this year:

1-Titans (Fisher always gets his guys to play)
2-Raiders (their defense is very good)
3-Bucs (if Garcia can stay healthy)

Comments

• Options
    My choices-

Texans- they look a ton better on both sides of the ball, no Carr.
    Cardinals- Not playoff ready yet but will be much improved, grimm will get a lot more out of the O-line
    Bucs- Agree they will be better

I do think the steelers will be back but not sure that qualifies as they are 2 years removed from winning it all.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>This should be for teams that aren't expected to go anywhere this year:

3-Bucs (if Garcia can stay healthy) >>

Maybe the Raiders can begin to turn things around, they were an out of control dysfunctional mess last year.
    Russell will get signed eventually but I think it is too late for him to contribute anything this year.
  • Options
    They technically wouldn't be big surprises but I think both Seattle and Philly will bounce back to be legit contenders this year after injury filled 2006 seasons.
    ----------------------------------------
    Currently working on:
    1955 Topps All-American
    George Brett Master Set
    2009 A&G's
  • Options

<< <i>They technically wouldn't be big surprises but I think both Seattle and Philly will bounce back to be legit contenders this year after injury filled 2006 seasons. >>

Weren't they both in the playoffs last year?

Teams that could surprise people this year:

Bills, even with jettisoning a ton of talent, have the potential to be very good. Losman's entering his third full year of playing, and he really looked sharp the last half of last year. Lee Evans is an animal.
    Rams are absolutely stacked. Bulger with Jackson in the backfield, throwing to McMichael, Bruce, Holt, and Bennett? Should be tons of points scored.

I am going to stay away from the cardinals pick, because every year they should do great then they end up stinking. They very well could do something special this year, with Leinart a bit more seasoned and Edge having played much better in the second half last year.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets go with ummmmm Tampa Bay!!!!!

Just Kidding image
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Raiders will will 6 games this year at most, have you seen their schedule? Their offence will be much better this year.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Steelers could get back on top. Not sure if that would fall under the 'surprise' category though. They have the benefit of playing a pretty weak schedule.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Redskins!

The totally sad defense last year was a fluke, due mostly to key injuries along with the coaches trying to stuff a square peg (Adam Archuletta) into a round hole. He's still a good player, just not in the scheme we were trying to use him in.

Fletcher and Smoot will make all of the difference in the world this year, allowing for more run support, blitzing, and much needed pressure. Hopefully this will let the defense work the way it's supposed too.

On the offensive side of the ball, you gotta figure the new Al Saunders playbook was in it's first year, last year ... so they should start to get a better feel for it this year. Portis will be back, and Betts proved he can have a major effect on the running game too. The O Line isn't great, but it should be good enough.

If Jason Campbell proves to be half way decent, and if Brandon Lloyd can step it up a notch ... the passing game (which has been all Moss for several years) could produce some big plays.

So there you have it ... the sleeper team of the year is the Redskins.

Place your bets now. Before the odds start to move! ;-)
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    It would be nice to see the current Redskins be something other than a sad footnote on Joe Gibb's record as coach.

If the skins don't turn things around this year I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Snyder has to make what would be for him
    a very difficult decision about Joe Gibbs since he has been one of his idols for a long time.
  • Options

<< <i>It would be nice to see the current Redskins be something other than a sad footnote on Joe Gibb's record as coach.

If the skins don't turn things around this year I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Snyder has to make what would be for him
    a very difficult decision about Joe Gibbs since he has been one of his idols for a long time. >>

...and then a call to Bill Cowher will be made!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Texans, Raiders, Bills.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>

<< <i>It would be nice to see the current Redskins be something other than a sad footnote on Joe Gibb's record as coach.

a very difficult decision about Joe Gibbs since he has been one of his idols for a long time. >>

...and then a call to Bill Cowher will be made! >>

Jerry Jones is also thinking that way as well, don't believe Cowher's talk that he won't be coaching in 2008, if some owner is
    willing to throw enough money his way that could change his mind.
  • Options

<< <i>This should be for teams that aren't expected to go anywhere this year:

3-Bucs (if Garcia can stay healthy) >>

Another thread to re-visit! Even the Raiders are playing competitive football.