Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Greeks and Medals

So I went to a local coin show which attracts small time vendors from around the area. Not much to speak of and a lot of old inventory. I only go there when either I want to gift someone with an inexpensive coin or if I want to purchase a study group of particular coins.
You guys had whetted my interest in modern Greek coinage to the point that I was motivated.
Yesterday, my project was to purchase a group of Greek coins to see first hand what I could expect. Fortunately, one dealer had a comprehensive collection and I cleaned out most of his small inventory; 14 coins averaging about $3 each (some as low as 40 cents) and stretching from 1869 to about 1962. After viewing the initial inventory, I decided to narrow my range to before the reign of Constantine II.

Anyway, input would be welcome.

Also, there is this somewhat quirky vendor (I am being kind) who pours out relatively banal medals out on his table. He is very careless with how he handles them and attempts to mislead potential purchasers. He once described to me a medal as being silver until I pointed out to him that the medal was stamped as Bronze on the rim. However, yesterday, after I showed interest in two medals, he offered them to me at a price that I found somewhat acceptable. One of the medals might be worth a modest amount more than the purchase price. However, the good deal would be offset by the modestly overpricing of the second. When I have the opportunity, I will photograph them and post.

Have a good week, everyone.
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine cherrypicking opportunities for Greek coins here in the USA are slim on a local basis!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.