Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A tour of the Royal Canadian Mint - A question and answer session as well

I took a tour of the Royal Canadian Mint (RCM) in Ottawa, this past week. It was quite informative but alas, I did not get to see one of their $1 million dollar face value gold coins which is supposed to be huge. They were sold out and was not making another one until they receive another order for another coin. According the RCM, they already sold 6 of the limit of 10 coins.

I am posting this here in case anyone is thinking of a trip to Canada.

In the question and answer session, I learned (re-learned) or remembered a few things:

(1) The Ottawa Mint no longer mints coins for general consumption; just for collectors. Only the Winnipeg Mint mints coins for general consumption.

(2) We learned why the Canadians put rims on their coins. It is never what I expected as to why.

(3) The Ottawa Mint is next to the beautiful National Gallery of Art. A stunning place that currently has an incredible Renoir exhibit.

(4) Anyone who wants to have medals made to order (without denomination value, of course) can have the RCM make them with a $10,000 (or is it 10,000 medals?) order minimum.
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>We learned why the Canadians put rims on their coins. It is never what I expected as to why. >>

Don't keep us in suspense. image
    Roy

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We learned why the Canadians put rims on their coins. It is never what I expected as to why. >>

So, whats the reason?
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    The CNA will be in Ottawa next July. I'm sure that special tours will be available to members.

edit to add: Forgot the answer to #2 - so please remind me.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Oreville has posted the answer in a thread over on the US board image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Hmmm,

I'd like to order that $1 Mil gold coin minted in _Brass (then get it gold-plated) to use on my patio for a table image

BTW, How big of a press do they use for that monster ? or do they just roll over the dies with a steam roller ¿
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm,

I'd like to order that $1 Mil gold coin minted in _Brass (then get it gold-plated) to use on my patio for a table image

BTW, How big of a press do they use for that monster ? or do they just roll over the dies with a steam roller ¿ >>

It is milled.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>Oreville has posted the answer in a thread over on the US board >>

Not in this thread, so where?
    Roy

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know which thread, by I think he said that raised rims were added "to protect Her Majesty, the Queen".