Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1914/3-D buffalo nickel

The 1914/3 buffalo nickel from the Philadelphia mint is a well established red book variety. Furthermore, several 1914/3-S nickels have been discovered. However, the 1914/3-D nickel seems to be an extreme rarity. How many such coins have been discovered and/or graded?
collector

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    not many but i`ve seen/heard of a few newly discovered older varieties in the past 4-5 years.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that PCGS or NGC slab the 1914/3-D nickel. Does anyone know?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Surprisingly, it doesn't appear PCGS has graded either a 14/3-D or 14/3-S per the July 2007 population report. However, 54 of the Philadelphia mint have been certified by PCGS.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Posts: 58 ✭✭
    It appears that NGC has graded two 1914/3-D buffalo nickels.
    collector
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting variety. Some like to say that this variety is too weak to be a true variety..... but when you have seen one of the sharp ones, then you know it is a bonifide variety. And a rare one to find with the sharp detail. That's why you do not see very many slabbed.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for the 1914/3-d buffalo nickel, Bill Fivaz had an article on the front page of COIN WORLD called "Hitting for The Cycle with the 1914/3-d buffalo nickel" around 2001. The crossbar is very weak on this one but there is a diagnostic die break on the obverse from the rim around 8 o'clock into the center. The FS number for this one is FS-014.89. It was also noted in the article that there were two different reverse dies, one with a mintmark close to FIVE CENTS and the other with a lower D relative to this denomination. On some of the 1914/3-d buffs that SEGS has slabbed, the specific reverse was noted on the slab, i.e., revsere die A or reverse die B.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    NGC will not certify a variety as 1914/3, they will certify as an FS number
    ANACSs I believe also will not certify any 1914/3
    SEGS will certify 1914/3 varieties
    PCGS will currently certify two of the Phila 1914/3 varieties

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I just read an article Roger W. Burdette wrote called Thoughts About the Buuffalo Nickel 1914 Master Die and Possible 1914/1913 Overdating

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a picture of the coin showing the obverse die break

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file