1871cc -- 8,085
1872cc -- 4,600
1873cc -- 4,543
1874cc -- 16,767
1875cc -- 7,715
1876cc -- 4,696
1877cc -- 8,678
1878cc -- 3,244
1879cc -- 1,762 Anyone know why such a meager mintage this year?
1880cc -- 11,190
1881cc -- 24,015
1882cc -- 6,764
1883cc -- 12,000
1884cc -- 9,925
1890cc -- 17,500
1891cc -- 103,732
1892cc -- 40,000
1893cc -- 14,000
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Comments

• fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    --

1878-1879 is when the govt resumed paying out gold for
    green backs right?

well maybe Phil decided they needed all the dies and only sent
    CC a few that broke right away?

the mintages of half eagles sky rockets during this small sliver
    of time to the millions at P and S.

doh! i was thinking half eagles. well maybe i should try try again!
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to Rusty Goe, a work stoppage and shrinking bullion deposits resulted in this record low gold mintage from the CC Mint.

Ironically, the 1879-CC $5 mintage (17,281, twice the number of the year before) was one of the higher mintages of 1870's CC half eagles.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1879cc -- 1,762 Anyone know why such a meager mintage this year?
    --

1878-1879 is when the govt resumed paying out gold for
    green backs right?

well maybe Phil decided they needed all the dies and only sent
    CC a few that broke right away?

the mintages of half eagles sky rockets during this small sliver
    of time to the millions at P and S. >>

Eagle mintages;
    1878 p--- 73,780
    1878 s--- 224,000
    1879 p ---384,740
    1879 s ---224,000

I believe your explanation holds water. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    trouble is i have not studied eagles... i just know the story
    of suspension of gold payments due to the civil war, the reinstatement of gold payments and the subsequent boom
    in minting gold coins again...

i wonder if eagles took the same ride?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1879, the New Orleans Mint re-opened and struck eagles and double eagles, though neither in large quantity.

<< <i>In 1879, the New Orleans Mint re-opened and struck eagles and double eagles, though neither in large quantity. >>

1879o --- a meager 1,500 Eagles minted.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my take. Virginia City was destroyed by fire in 1875. Huge impact on the economy! Workers were instantly
    back to tents and living out of doors. Took many years to rebuild, but rebuild they did. I suspect that lack of production
    is blamed on the fire that nearly destroyed not only the city but the mines. Many mine buildings were in fact destroyed.
    Production began to creep back up as the 70's ended and then the next big problem was that the veins were quickly
    runing dry and becomming unaccessable (due to the hot water encountered deep within the mountain).
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

• << <i>1879cc -- 1,762 Anyone know why such a meager mintage this year?

According to Rusty Goe, a work stoppage and shrinking bullion deposits resulted in this record low gold mintage from the CC Mint.

Ironically, the 1879-CC $5 mintage (17,281, twice the number of the year before) was one of the higher mintages of 1870's CC half eagles. >>

The material in Mr. Goes book is usually fairly accurate, however there are some areas of his book that are entirely incorrect. Keep that in mind. I'm not sure if he's correct here or not, but his explanation sounds plausable.

Comstock Lode bullion production apexed in 1876, and Nevada bullion production apexed in 1877. The quantity of bullion available for purchase to the CC Mint was cut in half in 1878, and by 1879 it was cut in half again. Although the CC Mint had relatively modest gold bullion stockpiles, it was conserving them in 1879 for use at a later date. The stockpiles were mostly used in 1880, and finished in 1881.

• << <i>Here's my take. Virginia City was destroyed by fire in 1875. Huge impact on the economy! Workers were instantly
    back to tents and living out of doors. Took many years to rebuild, but rebuild they did. I suspect that lack of production
    is blamed on the fire that nearly destroyed not only the city but the mines. Many mine buildings were in fact destroyed.
    Production began to creep back up as the 70's ended and then the next big problem was that the veins were quickly
    runing dry and becomming unaccessable (due to the hot water encountered deep within the mountain).
    bob >>

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Although the Virginia City fire devastated the City in 1875, it had no effect of bullion output. THe town rebuilt very quickly--most of the buildings were wood anyway.

Nevada's Metal and Mineral Production (1859-1940). Couch and Carpenter. (c)1943, p.133

Storey County bullion production

1873: $22,389,575
    1874: 22,525,275
    1875: 26,023, 037
    1876: 38,048,145
    1877: 37,062,252
    1878: 20,436,685
    1879: 7,559,508

Also, Virginia City was not the only mining center in Nevada. Gold Hill, Reese River, Silver City etc. There were also mines operating in Elko County, Esmeralda County, Eureka County (who had very large outputs), Humboldt County, Lander County, Lincoln County, Lyon County, Mineral County, Nye County, Pershing County, Storey County (home of Virginia City and Gold HIll), and lastly White Pine County.
    Great info and very interesting to boot! image

• Adding onto my previous post regarding the Virginia City fire and mining--I thought this was interesting.

From Dan Dequille's A History of the Comstock Silver Lode & Mines, (c) 1889. pp55-56

"To rebuild the town at once was the universal determination. The insurance on the property destroyed amounted to $2,500,000 (the loss at the Bonanza Mines alone was $1,461,000), which was something to begin with; besides many persons whose property was destroyed had plenty of money left with which to rebuild. There was not a moment's delay. The next morning the work of clearing away ruins preparatory to putting up new buildings was begun in all parts of the city, water being thrown upon the red-hot bricks to so cool them that they could be handled. Rebuilding began the morning after the fire, and hardly ceased day or night until all the ground of the burnt district had been again covered. The big mining companies were especially active. Although engaged in rebuilding the mills and works destroyed, the Consolidated Virginia Mining Company paid its regular dividends of $10 a share in November and December, the two amounting to $2,160,000. In less than thirty days from the time of the fire new works replaced those destroyed by fire, and the machinery was in place and ore hoisted on Thanksgiving-day. In sixty days after the fire the business streets of the city were rebuilt, and with larger and finer structures than those that had been destroyed. The whole burnt district was so soon covered with new buildings that strangers arriving in the city looked about them in surprise and asked, "Where was your big fire?" That was a busy time on the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, no fewer than forty-five trains a day passing over the road during the great building rush. But for the railroad the city and mining works could not have been rebuilt that year."

DeQuille's Comstock writings are not particularly good, at least from a research point of view. It reads more like a storybook and has a number of significant errors. This quote it relatively accurate though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file