• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Excellent!!!
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You Sir !!!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks LeeG for starting this thread.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow lee.....a superb history of a commemorative that is near and dear to me.

I've lived in Maryland for 58 years(all of my life) and find this information breathtaking.

It's ironic that I have a Maryland Tercentenary Comm. PCGS graded MS66 on the way back from being re-holdered by PCGS.

I just could not take that scratched up slab anymore.

I will now see the coin for all of its beauty in a few days....it's blast white I'll have you know!

Thanks again for posting such a wonderful history on this unique coin, probably only a Marylander can truly appreciate!!!!image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    My pleasure. image It's been alot of fun puttting the series together!
  • Options
    Wow, found this 1659 Maryland-Lord Baltimore shilling up for auction at the Stack's Minot Collection....looking forward to the catalog for sure!!! image

Cecil Calvert certainly has different look on this old coin.

I thought it would be of interest to early commemorative owners, Marylanders(Tootawl, Newsday, Julian, YaHa, myself, etc.), and of course LeeG.

(1659) Maryland-Lord Baltimore shilling. Breen-64, Hodder 1-A. Rarity-6. Large Bust, MARIÆ: EF-40.

74.2 grains. Deep graphite gray surfaces are worn to a brighter, lighter gray tone at the high points of Calvert's head, the legends, and elements of the reverse shield. Centered toward the right of both obverse and reverse, bringing the rim to the tops of the lettering on the obverse and cutting off the tops of the reverse legends on the right side. The off-centering has revealed the extended, elongated denticles at the left of each face. Surface marks are minimal, with only two thin, old vertical pin scratches noted below II of the denomination. Struck from the usual state of the dies, the obverse die exhibiting the buckling and the reverse displaying the dramatic die clashing in the form of incuse denticles through the II of the denomination. Silver coinage of the Colonial era is rare in comparison to the much more abundantly produced copper coinage, with the Maryland-Lord Baltimore coinage being much more rare than the silver Massachusetts coinage of the prolific Boston Mint. Of the silver denominations of the Lord Baltimore series, the shilling is a close second in rarity to the slightly more difficult groat, while the sixpence is the most available but not common by any stretch of the imagination. This coin has been off the market for over eight years, and we have offered just a few other shillings in various grades since. An opportunity to add a very eye appealing specimen of this colonial scarcity to your cabinet.

In 1659, Cecil Calvert, Second Baron Baltimore, arranged for a small issue of silver coins to be struck in his name, for circulation in his colony of Maryland. Very few can have been struck for they had all but disappeared by 1701 and today are all at least very scarce. Once the coins had been struck and delivered, Calvert had them exported to the Americas. Unfortunately, he failed to obtain an export license from the English government. This oversight gave his political enemies an opportunity to cause him trouble. An informer told the government and Calvert was hauled off to court and made to answer for his offense. It appears that Calvert was able to talk his way out of the problem. He was not thrown into jail and he kept control over his province of Maryland.

Stack's Link
  • Options
    1934 Maryland Commem Refreshingly Plain
    By Paul M. Green, Numismatic News
    September 15, 2008

The 1934 Maryland commemorative half dollar stands out because it doesn't. In an era of sweetheart deals, sales gimmicks and mintages in multiple years at multiple mints, the Maryland is plain vanilla. There was no real attempt to pump up sales. The price of the Maryland Tercentenary half dollar was just $1 and a total of 25,015 were sold.

The idea behind the Maryland Tercentenary half dollar was certainly straightforward as it was the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Maryland Colony by Cecil Calvert, who was also known as Lord Baltimore. It was a fairly easy anniversary to convince lawmakers to observe with a commemorative half dollar. The proposal explained that the profits would be used to help finance the celebration in Baltimore in 1934 and with Washington, D.C., being close to Baltimore, those approving the coin could potentially attend it.

The design of the Maryland commemorative half dollar was by Hans Schuler. It features an obverse with the head of Lord Baltimore, while the reverse features Maryland's coat of arms.

Another thing was that there appears to have been no hoards of the Maryland Tercentenary half dollar. That happened in some other cases, but many times half dollar hoards would appear at a later time. Usually the hoard indicated that the official sales total and the number of coins actually sold might have been different.

The Columbian Exposition half dollar had actually circulated in significant numbers, while the 1918 Illinois half dollar was still floating around the banking system for years. Some of these coins became heavily bag marked simply from being shipped from one bank to another.

In other cases those responsible for the program seemed to end up with something perilously close to a permanent business selling examples for years. It was a no-risk proposition since those responsible for the program got the coins at face value. But none of that seemed to happen with the Maryland Tercentenary half dollar. It seems to have simply been offered and sold.

Today it is at $180 in MS-60 and $350 in MS-65. Numismatic Guaranty Corporation has seen 2,243 examples, and of that total just under 250 were called MS-65 or better. At Professional Coin Grading Service out of a total of 3,771 graded, about 1,075 were called MS-65 or better. The numbers are not conclusive, but they suggest that the current price is fair. If anything, the NGC totals suggest that an MS-65 might be a bit better than the current price suggests.

Regardless of grade, it is an interesting commemorative half dollar. It is was what a commemorative half dollar was supposed to be, and it was marketed in the way that commemorative half dollars were supposed to be sold. There is no hint of corruption or problems, and that makes the Maryland half dollar something of a refreshing change over other half dollars of the period.

NN Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file