Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This guy is going down in flames

I watched him sell over 50 expensive Thalers from 07/20 to end of July. I bought one. When I didn't see feedback coming in from anybody I knew something was up. I filed my paypal dispute early and already have my money back. This guy will be Naru'd soon. I hope everyone used paypal.

TOTAL LOSER

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't really look like a hijacked account, either. There doesn't seem to be a period of inactivity that's normally associated with an account being hijacked.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Methinks the guy is either pushing up daisys, or seriously incapacitated.
  • Options
    He responded to my email when I questioned him. He's ok just a thief. What chaps my azz is that I saw a wonderful example of the coin I bought from him at the ANA but didn't buy it because I thought I was getting the one from him.Weiss Collectable sales out of Hopatcong, NJ has the coin but I have found no way to contact them. If you know this dealer let me know.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    If you read the feedback it looks like at least in several cases the same item was sold to multiple buyers; the first one got the item and the rest were screwed.

I don't understand some of the blatant stupidity on the part of some of the buyers though:

"NEVER RECEIVED ITEM. NO REFUND & WON'T ANSWER EMAILS BEEN 9 WEEKS"

9 weeks? 9 WEEKS?

I don't care if you're my brother... If we hit 40 days, I'm filing a PayPal dispute regardless of the explanation. That at least keeps the door open with respect to renumeration and allows further discussion and investigation. You hit that 45-day mark without filing a PayPal dispute, and you've just lost any and all possibility of ever being compensated. It's an auto-lose.

Furthermore, on an $1800+ purchase, I'm buying with a credit card through PayPal, not PayPal balance or bank account transfer. That way, if things go sideways I can get my money back from someone.

Egads.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I have seen quite a few talers come through eBay from this guy, both decent and not too decent. When he first started selling them a couple of years ago, he was consistenly asking 2x krause, but he gradually realized that nobody was buying and he seems to be more inline with the market now.
  • Options
    Jim - try Weiss Collectable Sales Post Office Box 661 Hopatcong, New Jersey 07843 (973) 398-0700

Yeaaaaa Google. image
    Roy

• Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    Shows how useless the new star ratings are. He's still a 4 star seller. :rolleyes:

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shows how useless the new star ratings are. He's still a 4 star seller. :rolleyes: >>

and a 97.2% FEEDBACK rating...
  • Options
    Thanks satootoko. Just spoke to Warren Wiess and just so happens he is doing a show here in town in 2 weeks and I'll get another shot at that thaler.
  • Options
    Why is ebay allowing him to contiue?
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I'll get another shot at that thaler. >>

: ThumbsUp;

Be sure and show it to us if you buy it. image
    Roy

• Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He responded to my email when I questioned him. He's ok just a thief. What chaps my azz is that I saw a wonderful example of the coin I bought from him at the ANA but didn't buy it because I thought I was getting the one from him.Weiss Collectable sales out of Hopatcong, NJ has the coin but I have found no way to contact them. If you know this dealer let me know. >>

They are always at the Cincinnati/Sharonville show which is coming up in mid-September.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He also said this was "silver", when these were all struck in nickel.

(Edit to add: he got eight bucks for it, when I can barely get two bucks for a much nicer AU!?! Aargh!)

That's strange to see somebody establish a solid feedback record like that and then go plooey. Normally I would've suspected hijacking, incapacitation, or sudden death, as previously mentioned.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lordmarcovan,

Can you enlighten me with the translation of your sig line.

"Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus."

The best I can do

"Mother has swallowed a cricket, and father has spit one up into his Sambuca."

• Options
    I think it's a slang version of the French language. It says somebody killed somebody else and then it mentions the Lord's Prayer.
  • Options
    Not a registered user
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    What sucks is that once someone is NARUed, you can no longer leave feedback for them (why Ebay does this, I have *NO* idea), so who knows how many more negs are out there that won't be reflected because people cannot leave them...
  • Options
    They can't leave FB but I hope they can still collect on paypal buyer protection. I've had a couple victims contact me asking what to do.
  • Options

<< <i>Can you enlighten me with the translation of your sig line. >>

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries." image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

There are some who call me... Tim.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can you enlighten me with the translation of your sig line. >>

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries." image >>

O.K.

I'm good with that. image
  • Options
    Mrpotatohead: you got the right movie, but the wrong character and scene! image

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled discussion of the topic at hand.

• Options
    Oh, I know- I just like that character. image