Home Sports Talk
Options

OT: N.J. Teen Unlocks Apple's iPhone

Anybody own one? I wouldn't be buying a $500-$600 phone but if they ever get to $100-$200 or so.....

N.J. Teen Unlocks Apple's iPhone

Unlocked iPhone YouTube

eBay Auction

"I am trying to get a hold of eBay right now as I am sure many of these bids are fraudulent. Please do not bid if you do not intend to buy." image

You would think that Apple and AT&T can not be to happy about this.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

Comments

• Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Everything gets cracked. Actually surprised it didn't happen in the 1st week it was out.
  • Options
    The guy said on his Blog that he has a legitimate offer for $25,000 possibly $100,000. WOW!!!!!

"I'm sure these most recent bids are fake. I have a confirmed offer of $25,000 and an unconfirmed offer of $100,000. If you are willing to buy it for more, please post your phone number+email address+what you'd pay in a blog comment and I will contact you"

Finding JTAG on the iPhone

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I like how he says that you have to be really good with a soldering, and that there is a high chance of turning it into a brick....ahh
    how many 600.00 bricks did this guy go through?

JS
  • Options
    One, read the article he owes the guy a new one.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    glad it got cracked. I still cant fathom why Apple partnered with ATT they suck.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    what is so special about an ulocked iphone?autographed by some nerd,i do well to answer my phone at home let alone one that you can get on the web,cal, take pics, drive you around, print,fax, do your taxes lol, they put alot of stuff in these things anymore , iam old school, i like dial tone phones or a m.a.r.s talkie

randy
  • Options
    <<what is so special about an ulocked iphone?autographed by some nerd>>

My guess is someone thinks that this kid is going to be the next albert Einstein so it will be very valuable. image Ony in America!

<<One, read the article he owes the guy a new one>>

Yeah, he is reimbursing the guy to buy a new one for the one he destroyed. The kid seems like the next coming of Napoleon Dynamite. Geek squad are you hiring? Last night it looked like the bidding was legitimately up to $25,000 but he cancelled the auction because of the following reason he left on his website:

"I was forced to end the listing early due to a total lack of cooperation from ebay. If you are interested in buying it, either e-mail me or comment on this blog post with a phone number. If you contact me before 3 PM EST with an acceptable offer, I will hand the phone over to you live on CNN in the 5 PM segment."

With all of the hype, are iPhones all they are cracked up to be? Makes you want to go out any buy one. LOL

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    only in america, aint that the truth lol!
    randy
  • Options
    He's hardly the first to unlock the iPhone, software that has freed it from being used only on AT&T or even having to be activated at all have been around for awhile. Unlocking the phone to use it as a WiFi iPod has been around awhile too.

Someone honestly thought they'd pay $25k for an unlocked iPhone? Why?

You could have 2 years of $200 a month service for $4800. Why would anyone pay $25k for it?
  • Options
    <<You could have 2 years of $200 a month service for $4800. Why would anyone pay $25k for it?>>

Why would anyone pay $100,000's for Mr. Potatoe Head's recording breaking Home Run baseball?

I have a better question why was Apple so stupid in signing an exclusive with AT&T when this was bound to happen?

• Options

<< <i>
    Why would anyone pay $100,000's for Mr. Potatoe Head's recording breaking Home Run baseball?
    >>

You seriously are comparing a 1/1 baseball to a phone that's easily replicated?

<< <i>I have a better question why was Apple so stupid in signing an exclusive with AT&T when this was bound to happen? >>

Stupid? Any piece of 'locked' technology gets unlocked, it's inevitable. BluRay, HD DVD, you name it, its been unlocked. And why AT&T? How about because they were the ones with the most money to spend on it.

• Options
    OK, let me rephrase my question. Why was AT&T so stupid in signing an exclusive with Apple when this was bound to happen? If they think they had an exclusive deal they better think again unless AT&T and/or Apple plans to sue everyone who has unlocked the iPhone and plans to use another carrier.

• Options
    The only other carrier that can use this phone in the states is T-mobile, they are the only other carrier here who uses GSM technology. It does no good for any other carrier's customer to unlock it as it won't work with their system.

And why would apple care what network they go on? They are moving phones regardless of what carrier they go to.
  • Options

<< <i>He's hardly the first to unlock the iPhone, software that has freed it from being used only on AT&T or even having to be activated at all have been around for awhile. Unlocking the phone to use it as a WiFi iPod has been around awhile too.

Someone honestly thought they'd pay $25k for an unlocked iPhone? Why?

You could have 2 years of $200 a month service for $4800. Why would anyone pay $25k for it? >>

Can you post a link that gives info on this earlier software that allows one ot use the iPhone on a carrier other than AT&T??

Thanks
  • Options
    Tons of information here.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller: million75( 98) Not a registered user
  • Options
    << The only other carrier that can use this phone in the states is T-mobile, they are the only other carrier here who uses GSM technology. It does no good for any other carrier's customer to unlock it as it won't work with their system>>

Sooner or later other carriers will have GSM.

<<And why would apple care what network they go on? They are moving phones regardless of what carrier they go to>>

Well, AT&T sure would care.

• Options
    <<Seller: million75( 98) Not a registered user>>

"I was forced to end the listing early due to a total lack of cooperation from ebay."

I wouldn't be surprise if the million75 asked eBay to cancel his account, not the other way around, because he was p1ssed at eBay.

Interesting:

THE iPhone HAS BEEN TRADED

"Terry Daidone, the founder of Certicell contacted me this morning, and offered to make a trade for the iPhone. I traded it for a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones. I will be sending the iPhones, unlocked if they wish, to jpetrie(the first donater), gray(the reversing genius), and iProof(who is truly amazing at finding stuff online) Thanks a lot everyone. I leave for college tomorrow, and this has been a great end to a great summer. If I ever do anything more with the iPhone, it'll definitely be posted here. Also I contacted iphonesimfree and offered to verify on this blog their claims of a software unlock. No response yet..."

• Options

<< <i>Sooner or later other carriers will have GSM. >>

Not likely. Verizon and Sprint are pretty much deadlocked on CDMA. it would cost them billions and billions to convert to GSM, let alone the upheaval forcing all their customers to new equipment would cause.

<< <i><<And why would apple care what network they go on? They are moving phones regardless of what carrier they go to>>

Well, AT&T sure would care. >>

They're making money on each phone sold..and they won't be selling them in huge quantities to people not activating anyways.
  • Options

• Options
    I get the strong, strong feeling that in the next couple weeks the bogus nature of this story is going to come to light, and this entire thing has been a hoax. A car for an unlocked phone? hah. Good one.