Home Sports Talk

Vick suspened INDEFINITELY by NFL

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Link

NEW YORK -- The NFL has suspended Michael Vick indefinitely.

A letter to Vick from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said, in part:

"Your admitted conduct was not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible. Your team, the NFL, and NFL fans have all been hurt by your actions."

"Your plea agreement and the plea agreements of your co-defendants also demonstrate your significant involvement in illegal gambling. Even if you personally did not place bets, as you contend, your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL Player Contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."

"You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy."

"I will review the status of your suspension following the conclusion of the legal proceedings. As part of that review, I will take into account a number of factors, including the resolution of any other charges that may be brought against you, whether in Surry County, Virginia, or other jurisdictions, your conduct going forward, the specifics of the sentence imposed by Judge Hudson and any related findings he might make, and the extent to which you are truthful and cooperative with law enforcement and league staff who are investigating these matters."

"I have advised the Falcons that, with my decision today, they are no longer prohibited from acting and are now free to assert any claims or remedies available to them under the Collective Bargaining Agreement or your NFL Player Contract."

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stown, once again MANY thanks for giving us accurate non-opinionated information. image
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good riddance!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Dude, I asked you to stop playing with the time machine image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Dude, I asked you to stop playing with the time machine image >>

How is this happening? I dont understand how I got this Time Machine up and running?
    Since perkdog used the time machine, I'm unable to edit my original title with some VERY important information.

The indefinite suspension is WITHOUT pay.

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Meanwhile the Bucs are planning on what to do with their 2nd Lombardi trophy.

JS

<< <i>Meanwhile the Bucs are planning on what to do with their 2nd Lombardi trophy.

JS >>

Kevin how many times do I have to tell you? THEY ONLY GIVE THAT OUT TO SUPER BOWL WINNERS!!!!! Not the team with the best pre-season record. Sheeesh!
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me if the NFL suspends the Bucs indefinitely for pretending to be an NFL team.

• << <i>Stown, once again MANY thanks for giving us accurate non-opinionated information. image >>

Second that.

How is it that we're all on the same page?

Must be telepathy? image

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Meanwhile the Bucs are planning on what to do with their 2nd Lombardi trophy.

JS >>

Very funny, my Dolphins are 2-0 !!!

Odds of the Fins or the Bucs to win it all:

1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to one! image

rd
  • The initial report (that I posted last night) was that Vick's plea would not have him pleading guilty to personally killing dogs, and if people had actually read that, they'd have seen it wasn't 'opinionated', but indeed a link to a reputable source. it looks like it was posted too soon.

And of course he's been suspended indefinitely by the NFL, but it hardly means his time in the league is done. He'll be back in an NFL uniform for the 2010 season, and you can take that to the bank.

Finally, it is interesting that stown's self-imposed ban lasted about a week.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By 2010 Vick will be a distant memory. I bet the Raiders would take a chance on him but he'll be lucky to make the team let alone start, let alone develop into a top notch QB that he never was.

• << <i>The initial report (that I posted last night) was that Vick's plea would not have him pleading guilty to personally killing dogs, and if people had actually read that, they'd have seen it wasn't 'opinionated', but indeed a link to a reputable source. it looks like it was posted too soon.

Finally, it is interesting that stown's self-imposed ban lasted about a week. >>

Seriously Ax, can't you find something else to do with your life? Let this petty BS go...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)

• << <i>By 2010 Vick will be a distant memory. I bet the Raiders would take a chance on him but he'll be lucky to make the team let alone start, let alone develop into a top notch QB that he never was. >>

No need to be QB, he'll be a RB/WR hybrid that will still draw plenty of teams willing to sign him.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to be QB, he'll be a RB/WR hybrid that will still draw plenty of teams willing to sign him.

You sound like you almost wish his career will be successful again (Lord knows why), but I seriously doubt that there will be "plenty of teams willing to sign him." Is he talented? Sure. But the PR nightmare wouldn't be worth the benefit. Truth is, Vick is hated more than if he had actually killed a human being at this point in the public eye.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • No, I don't care either way, but it is going to happen.

And hated more than if he had killed a human being? Are you kidding?
    And hated more than if he had killed a human being? Are you kidding?

No, I'm quite serious. If Vick had gotten involved in an altercation that ended in him shooting the other guy, sure, there'd be outrage and all, but I seriously doubt that he'd be as hated as he is now. That's JMO, but I think it's a valid one. There's something grossly obscene about ruthlessly torturing and killing innocent creatures just because you feel like it, that the American public finds far more revolting and offensive than even the murder of a human being, IMO. People have strong emotional bonds to their pets (just look at all those people who refuse to evacuate in the face of a natural disaster like Hurrican Katrina), especially dogs, and I think there's far more outrage at Vick over what he did to those dogs than if he'd killed another guy outside a nightclub somewhere in the heat of an argument.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>The initial report (that I posted last night) was that Vick's plea would not have him pleading guilty to personally killing dogs, and if people had actually read that, they'd have seen it wasn't 'opinionated', but indeed a link to a reputable source. it looks like it was posted too soon.

And of course he's been suspended indefinitely by the NFL, but it hardly means his time in the league is done. He'll be back in an NFL uniform for the 2010 season, and you can take that to the bank.

Finally, it is interesting that stown's self-imposed ban lasted about a week. >>

I wasn't going to respond but after seeing so many inconsistencies, I just had to.

1) You posted the intial report 2 HOURS before me, not the night before:

Thread Title: Vick to plead guilty, but not to gambling or killing dogs
    Created On Friday August 24, 2007 11:51 AM

Thread Title: Vick admits to business gambling activities and killing dogs.
    Created On Friday August 24, 2007 1:56 PM

2) Your post was 'opinionated' when you said the words "I have to think"..

3) Which leads me into "..there's no way Vick does more than a year in jail, and no way he sits more than a year from the NFL", which equals two years. My math may be a tad off but you just said the 2010 season, which is three years away.

Goes to jail this season (2007), serves suspension the next season (2008), and then the year after that (2009) he does what? Submit appeals to a crime he's already admitted to? I mean, unless your counting city and state charges, which are inevitable..

4) I can post when I want and where I want. Since you brought it up, how are those 5 previous bans coming along? Was it the 2-year subscription that got your 6th alias? $200 out of your pocket to post here? Wow..

But whatever, I digress...

Anyways, John Kerry would be so proud of you.

• << <i>
    1) You posted the intial report 2 HOURS before me, not the night before:
    >>

My mistake, the article was posted last night, I posted it this morning.

<< <i>2) Your post was 'opinionated' when you said the words "I have to think".. >>

The initial report did indeed say he wouldn't plead guilty to actually killing dogs, there's no opinion in that.

<< <i>3) Which leads me into "..there's no way Vick does more than a year in jail, and no way he sits more than a year from the NFL", which equals two years. My math may be a tad off but you just said the 2010 season, which is three years away. >>

He won't be sentenced until November-December, that puts him back on the field for the 2010 season.

<< <i>Goes to jail this season (2007), serves suspension the next season (2008), and then the year after that (2009) he does what? Submit appeals to a crime he's already admitted to? I mean, unless your counting city and state charges, which are inevitable.. >>

It's been widely reported that he won't be sentenced until the end of this year.

<< <i>4) I can post when I want and where I want. Since you brought it up, how are those 5 previous bans coming along? Was it the 2-year subscription that got your 6th alias? $200 out of your pocket to post here? Wow.. >>

What 2 year subscription? Interesting that you think that's how I got an account, but it's totally and completely UNTRUE. As usual, talking without knowing what the hell you're talking about.

<< <i>But whatever, I digress... >>

As usual, straying from your stated mission "I'm only going to post in my texans thread and my goodbye thread" in a pathetic (and out-and-out WRONG) post to attack me. No, I did not buy a 2 year subscription. Why don't you stick to your original promise and not post here anymore? Good.

<< <i>Anyways, John Kerry would be so proud of you. >>

I'd hope so. Kerry is a war hero who is a successful senator. Who would be proud of you? Vince McMahon?

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And hated more than if he had killed a human being? Are you kidding?

No, I'm quite serious. If Vick had gotten involved in an altercation that ended in him shooting the other guy, sure, there'd be outrage and all, but I seriously doubt that he'd be as hated as he is now. That's JMO, but I think it's a valid one. There's something grossly obscene about ruthlessly torturing and killing innocent creatures just because you feel like it, that the American public finds far more revolting and offensive than even the murder of a human being, IMO. People have strong emotional bonds to their pets (just look at all those people who refuse to evacuate in the face of a natural disaster like Hurrican Katrina), especially dogs, and I think there's far more outrage at Vick over what he did to those dogs than if he'd killed another guy outside a nightclub somewhere in the heat of an argument. >>

Let's compare apples to apples. If Vick had killed a person by drowning them after a failed attempt at hanging, because he felt that they fought poorly then he would be more hated for killing the human than a dog. If we are to take the altercation example to both species, he would have received much less hostility for having a random altercation with a dog outside a nightclub where the dog ended up dead.

Yes we love pets. I call my dog "princess" or "pretty princess" and it drives my wife nuts, who I call by her first name. But at the same time view all situations as identical and insert the species. Don't make up two situations that are completely different and say that he'd have better to kill a person.

BTW Here she is:

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

• << <i>
    Let's compare apples to apples. If Vick had killed a person by drowning them after a failed attempt at hanging, because he felt that they fought poorly then he would be more hated for killing the human than a dog. If we are to take the altercation example to both species, he would have received much less hostility for having a random altercation with a dog outside a nightclub where the dog ended up dead.

Yes we love pets. I call my dog "princess" or "pretty princess" and it drives my wife nuts, who I call by her first name. But at the same time view all situations as identical and insert the species. Don't make up two situations that are completely different and say that he'd have better to kill a person.
    >>

Thank you for adding in some much needed insight and showing that the 2 situations mentioned above are completely different.

Never said it was better. Please don't put words in my mouth. And fact is, Vick did not "kill[ed] a person by drowning them after a failed attempt at hanging, because he felt that they fought poorly." Of course if that were the case, it's be an entirely different situation. But that's not what happened here, is it? The point of my post was that the extreme cruelty that Vick displayed while torturing and electrocuting and killing those dogs sparks greater disgust and outrage than if he had happened to murder someone during an altercation outside a nightclub. If you think otherwise, you're obviously not in tune with the reality of this case.

• grote-

you are comparing 2 different sets of circumstances to build your argument. If Vick were to hang and then drown a man like those dogs, there's no way there would be more outrage over the killing of the dogs.

If Vick were to hang and then drown a man like those dogs, there's no way there would be more outrage over the killing of the dogs.

If that were true, then, yes, but that's not the reality of the situation, is it?

• Yes, actually it is.

Yes, actually it is.

Come again? Vick has been charged with torturing and electrocuting a human being, as well?? I must have missed that, wow!

• What are you talking about?

You tried to say that Vick killing a man outside a night club would be less reviled than the dog torturing. This was called out as a false analogy. To which it was replied that if Vick hung and tortured a man the way the dogs were treated that the human killing would be considered worse.

Why is this that difficult?
    What are you talking about?

You tried to say that Vick killing a man outside a night club would be less reviled than the dog torturing. This was called out as a false analogy. To which it was replied that if Vick hung and tortured a man the way the dogs were treated that the human killing would be considered worse.

Why is this that difficult?

Look, Axtell, I know you like to bicker, and you're probably feeling lonely tonight, but my point, once again, was that the moral outrage that Vick's actions have sparked because of his cruel and inhuman behavior in torturing those dogs, is more reprehensible, IN THE PUBLIC'S EYE, than if he had happened to kill someone during an altercation outside of a nightclub. What's so difficult to understand about that? Was there anywhere near the moral outrage we see now directed at Vick when Ray Lewis was involved in that murder case a few years back? I'm not passing judgement here one way or another, but Vick is certainly more reviled than Lewis ever was, even if he had pulled the trigger!

Edit: You can disagree with my premise, that's fine, but if you read the expert opinions onj this case (from attorneys, et al), the universal opinion seems to be that Vick is worse off now, PR-wise, than if he had actually murdered someone. That's not my opinion, that's what's already been said.

• Forget it, you want to compare two completely different situations in an attempt to show that Vick has committed the most awful crime ever.

Just forget it.
    Just forget it.

NP.

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Never said it was better. Please don't put words in my mouth. >>

Didn't mean to. My apologies. I was only referring to "better" in terms of public image not your opinion of the acts. I miss worded it.

<< <i>And fact is, Vick did not "kill[ed] a person by drowning them after a failed attempt at hanging, because he felt that they fought poorly." Of course if that were the case, it's be an entirely different situation. But that's not what happened here, is it? The point of my post was that the extreme cruelty that Vick displayed while torturing and electrocuting and killing those dogs sparks greater disgust and outrage than if he had happened to murder someone during an altercation outside a nightclub. >>

I guess I'm just missing the point. It is such a different circumstance. I mean he would have been better off in many other situations. The one you are suggesting would need details. If he killed a blind girl with mental retardation outside of a night club, it would be much worse than this. But if everyone felt he was justified and defending himself against a legitimate threat, then yeah you're right. I might even be on his side for that one. But it would all depend.

My point was just that he's should be glad he didn't kill a human while acting this irresponsibly or we wouldn't be talking about a year in jail. It would be much worse. The outcry is because we love our animals, and we love dogs the most. But believe it or not we love people more and if it had been a person it would be worse, no doubt in my mind.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
    But it would all depend.

Agree with you there. It's all relative, of course, and right now, Vick has sparked a great amount of outrage and absolute disgust for his auctions, and rightfully so, IMO.

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <hope so. Kerry is a war hero who is a successful senator>-HAAAAAAA- a 35 year old kid that knows nothing about the vietnam war

lol-thats funny, kerry a war hero,ask any nam vet that was actually in country-on the ground,infantry/seals/rangers/oda/lrrps/tunell rats,the company mailman or a cook for that matter.. on here what they think about john kerry-him and jane fonda are in the n.v.a. hall of fame in hanoi-for real, kerry a hero?he was there 3 months and got 3 purple hearts lol-too much-i was there 4 years,being an officer i could have done the very same thing ,kerry just wanted out asap-General hal moore/ Colonel david hackworth/ Colonel david hunt/ POW john mccain/POW william stockdale now there are some real heros- not a guy that spent one year on a navy ship in the gulf of tonkin and 3 months on actual red clay mud, ask the swift boat guys that got stuck with him,nobody wanted him lol-

kerry is about as sucsessful as ted kennedy drunk saving the drowing chick when his clothes were dry lol
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Vick stunk as a QB. He killed dogs. He may never play again in the NFL, or he may play in 2010. Who cares.

no need to debate anymore.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
    I agree 100% with Stown and Grote
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    edit
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope he rots in hell, and is gang raped by Satan and his cronies.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO