Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post your oldest RED copper/bronze!

Let's see 'em!

Don't worry if your oldest isn't that old.. it was probably still cheaper than a Lightside piece of the same year! image

Asking for full red might be a stretch, so RBs are fine too.

Here's mine (seller's pics):

Holland, 1 duit, 1739

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's see 'em!

Don't worry if your oldest isn't that old.. it was probably still cheaper than a Lightside piece of the same year! image

Asking for full red might be a stretch, so RBs are fine too.

Here's mine (seller's pics):

Holland, 1 duit, 1739
    image >>

I love those Hol. pieces.image

I suspect our patriarch had a few of those jingling in his leather purse when he sailed from Rotterdam in 1750 to hoe the ground in the "English Colonies".

Mine would presently be a 1773/3 Geo III farthing, but the pics are elsewhere. image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    1761 Shilling from Torun, Poland. It's redder in hand than in the scan:

and one of the same year in original black: image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Great coins guys.
    spoon that super looking duit has such a lot of luster and red for its age. image

Hers a couple of mine.

imageimage
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins everyone! No full red designations here, but they are close:

imageimage

imageimage
    NGC MS65 RB
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

1903 Philippines 1/2 Centavo

imageimage
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some awesome coppers in this thread image

Out of my old stuff I only have one that displays any red. Not a full red (please forgive me), but still pretty nice for a 218-year-old hunk o' copper image

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Roman, I love that 5K. And it's imaged so close to actual size too.
    I have a couple of these honkers too. One from the same year as yours.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Bill. Btw, That 4 Centesimos - simply breathtaking! image
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I finally tracked down my Hollandia's partner from West Frisia!

(This was one of my bigger purchases lately...)

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric- those rock! Awesome! imageimage

There's plenty of other eye candy here, too.

My oldest red one I can recall was a 1799 British halfpenny in an ANACS MS63 RB holder (which I bought from ajaan and sold to Mongoose, thereby giving it quite the Darkside forum pedigree). As I recall, it had a lot of red on it- just shy of the amount necessary for a full RD designation.

I've also had one or two high grade duits like those beauties you've posted, but probably not quite UNCs. More like RB AU pieces. One wonders how those things survived like that (yours in particular).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice thread and coins Eric.

This 1/2 kreuzer with graffiti, that later became property of lordmarcovan, has got to be the oldest red brown coin that I owned.

The 1819 Ionian islands proof 2 oboli and proof one obolare a close second and among the oldest keepers of my collection.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That 2 oboli is sweet! image

Here's the counterpart to your 1/2 kreuzer:

• Options
    I think Glenn (rhound1977) ended up with that Austrian piece I got from you, Dimitri. I know I parted company with it in the Darksiders' hotel-room swap during the Charlotte show.

rwyarmch- wow, wow, wow, and wow.

I will not collect Conder tokens

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    A random, hypothetical situation came to my wandering mind yesterday.

WHAT IF...

Some Roman person in the first century AD took a brand-new sestertius coin (or several of them), and decided to hide them away.

Just imagine these big, fat, ornate, gorgeous bronzes in a fresh, pristine, full mint red condition!

Quite a thought, ain't it? Wow.

So to hide the coin(s) away, our hypothetical Roman, as most of his contemporaries do, puts them in a small jar or earthenware crock as usual, but with a twist...

Suppose, for whatever reason, he decided to seal the coins in wax. A real pure beeswax, or something else completely airtight.

And there they lay concealed, for two millennia.

Until one day, somebody digs up the container, carefully melts or removes the wax (or whatever), and reveals the full-Red UNC sestertii.

It could happen, right? I mean, there are surviving red-UNC coins from 200-300 years ago, as this thread bears witness. Why not red UNC ancient bronzes? It should be theoretically possible, if unlikely.

Just a random numismatic daydream...

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A random, hypothetical situation came to my wandering mind yesterday.

WHAT IF...

Some Roman person in the first century AD took a brand-new sestertius coin (or several of them), and decided to hide them away.

Just imagine these big, fat, ornate, gorgeous bronzes in a fresh, pristine, full mint red condition!

So to hide the coin(s) away, our hypothetical Roman, as most of his contemporaries do, puts them in a small jar or earthenware crock as usual, but with a twist...

Suppose, for whatever reason, he decided to seal the coins in wax. A real pure beeswax, or something else completely airtight.

Until one day, somebody digs up the container, carefully melts or removes the wax (or whatever), and reveals the full-Red UNC sestertii.

It could happen, right? I mean, there are surviving red-UNC coins from 200-300 years ago, as this thread bears witness. Why not red UNC ancient bronzes? It should be theoretically possible, if unlikely.

Just a random numismatic daydream... >>

Now that would be the "mother of all Roman coins!"
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>A random, hypothetical situation came to my wandering mind yesterday.

WHAT IF...

Just a random numismatic daydream... >>

And then they would get body bagged as modern day counterfeits... image
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Believe me, I have seen some nice sestertii on places like VCoins or the Harlan J. Berk website that were so nice they looked fake.

But they weren't original red, of course. Some of them were red-brown, just like a more "modern" RB AU-UNC coin would look, but of course I doubt the "red" could possibly be "original" after over 1,500 years.