Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HELP!!! I need some help please!! Taco Bell Returns...

Well Taco Bell has returned again. For all those who were not here plese read. Taco Bell Napkin Expierment

Well I told everybody the taco Bell Napkin Expierment was done.. So I took the coin of the napkin and placed it in a 2 x 2. After like 2 months I wanted to photo the coin again so I took the coin out of the 2 x 2 and after put it into a flip. I took it with me to the TNA show to show it to a few people. Brandon Kelley from Anaconda Rare Coins told me the flip was not the best storage for it. So when I got home I took it out of the flip and set it on top of it. My desk is also my photo lab. Anyhow I am not sure if the recent AC (Made it 98 F in my room) going out in the Texas heat had anything to do with it, but look! I NEED HELP!! Stop it!! When Bradon saw it it looked like this image... plus or minus a bit for the image being a bit off... He commented on how it looked NT.

Here is a reminder of how the coin first started off...

So just a bit ago I am looking and wow my eyes are in shock!!! Here is the coin as of today. WOW is all I got to say!! WOW!!

Thoughts and comments??? How to stablize this coin?? Give me a minute to get off cloud nine. LOL image

As a side note I checked every other coin on my desk and not a one of them has turned a bit.

To answer the first question... The coin was sitting on top of a flip.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure how to stablize it, but I can say that a Taco Bell napkin has done bupkis on my silver proof quarter. image
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if there is a way to stabilize the coin. If the coin was laying directly on your desk it might have picked up something from the surface. By the way your photos are very very good. The only suggestion I would have if you have software like adobe elements that you use the remove shadows tool. I played around with the morgan you posted the other day and came up with this.

Notice how much less shadowing in on the pic.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, Nellie! image

[whisper] that's pretty awesome. [/whisper]

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Maybe rinse it with acetone and let it it sit in a different room for a day or two then put in an airtite holder.
  • Options

<< <i>Whoa, Nellie! image

[whisper] that's pretty awesome. [/whisper] >>

Let the fun begin... image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best way to stabilize it I think is to get it slabbed. Too bad the services won't/can't offer a 100% sealed slab. One of the dangers of buying toners for moon money is that they can change if not stored properly and your high dollar work of art might end up an ugly old common date.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- My desk is also my coin lab." --

• Options

<< <i>The best way to stabilize it I think is to get it slabbed. Too bad the services won't/can't offer a 100% sealed slab. One of the dangers of buying toners for moon money is that they can change if not stored properly and your high dollar work of art might end up an ugly old common date. >>

Cannot be slabbed unless by ANACS. It is a problem coin.
  • Options

<< <i>-- My desk is also my coin lab." --

image >>

Had me scared there for a bit Lou... LOL Many years down the road from now when I die someone will get to enjoy my blunder..
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

<< <i>Had me scared there for a bit Lou... LOL Many years down the road from now when I die someone will get to enjoy my blunder.. >>

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we now address you as DR. Bruceswar?? image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options

<< <i>Should we now address you as DR. Bruceswar?? image >>

Never would I purposely harm a coin like that. I do not "tone" coins. I am no Doctor. I do liked toned coins though. Speaking of Doctors, I bet I get a PM asking how I did it. I will simply tell them I did nothing to the coin, except maybe improper storage.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The best way to stabilize it I think is to get it slabbed. Too bad the services won't/can't offer a 100% sealed slab. One of the dangers of buying toners for moon money is that they can change if not stored properly and your high dollar work of art might end up an ugly old common date. >>

I bet if you called PCGS they might seal it in a slab ungraded and with no label as a conservation measure just like a "sample slab".
  • Options
    So what is the recommended method for storing coins now?

• Options

<< <i><< The best way to stabilize it I think is to get it slabbed. Too bad the services won't/can't offer a 100% sealed slab. One of the dangers of buying toners for moon money is that they can change if not stored properly and your high dollar work of art might end up an ugly old common date. >>

I bet if you called PCGS they might seal it in a slab ungraded and with no label as a conservation measure just like a "sample slab". >>

That is a cool idea. I think for now I will just try an airtite. See how it goes from there.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I took it with me to the TNA show to show it to a few people. >>

Best show name ever. image
  • Options

<< <i>

Best show name ever. image >>

LMAO!!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Best show name ever. image >>

I wonder how many people showed up expecting something other than coins. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I think what you are seeing is sulfur from the napkin and PVC from the flip, reacting to speed up the oxidation process.

how was the coin stored prior to the TB napkin?

Dipping the coin in acetone should remove the sulfur and pvc, and should slow the toning process to normal. Keeping metal out of sunlight will help slow the oxidation process too.

• Options

<< <i>I think what you are seeing is sulfur from the napkin and PVC from the flip, reacting to speed up the oxidation process.

how was the coin stored prior to the TB napkin?

Dipping the coin in acetone should remove the sulfur and pvc, and should slow the toning process to normal. Keeping metal out of sunlight will help slow the oxidation process too. >>

No sunlight here on the coin. The coin was in a 2x2 holder. The coin will be going into an airtite holder. End of story. (I hope)
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a cool looking coin Bruce!
  • Options

<< <i>That is a cool looking coin Bruce! >>

Sy you should see this coin in hand. Looks rather nice and I am sure now it would be bring a nice premium if I were to sell it. It is not for sale. And to think I got this coin really cheap!
  • Options

<< <i>No sunlight here on the coin. The coin was in a 2x2 holder. The coin will be going into an airtite holder. End of story. (I hope) >>

Acetone the coin before you airtite it. If not the chemicals that caused the toning will still be there in the airtite holder.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No sunlight here on the coin. The coin was in a 2x2 holder. The coin will be going into an airtite holder. End of story. (I hope) >>

Acetone the coin before you airtite it. If not the chemicals that caused the toning will still be there in the airtite holder. >>

Dipping the coin would also cause some color loss. I am not ready to chance it.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! That's pretty sweet.
  • Options

<< <i>Dang! That's pretty sweet. >>

And to think this has only been since Jan of 2006. I would say sweet indeed!
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>

<< <i>

Acetone the coin before you airtite it. If not the chemicals that caused the toning will still be there in the airtite holder. >>

Dipping the coin would also cause some color loss. I am not ready to chance it. >>

Gotta say that is now a gorgeous coin. image But I also would recommend acetone before you airtite it. It will not take off any toning. It will get rid of PVC or any other organic material that you wouldn't want on the coin though.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    I have used 100% pure acetone before, but to say it would not take off any toning is a shot in the dark. It should not, but there is always that chance it may. We shall see.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT: This one is a cool looking coin. Even if it's Taco belled.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder what it looks like now ??
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe rinse it with acetone and let it it sit in a different room for a day or two then put in an airtite holder. >>

My thoughts exactly. If it keep toning after this you may want to have the EPA check the air quality in your home.image

Edited to note that I just noticed this thread is from 2007. I shouldn't post until after I've had my first cup of coffee.image

• Options

<< <i>TTT: This one is a cool looking coin. Even if it's Taco belled.image >>

How many coins have been graded with similar toning by the top tier grading services and then sold for huge premiums for the colorful toning?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss Lou. He was a beautiful human being. Coins always have the benefit of time. Like silver, it eventually all goes black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file