Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps Master Set Complete

I just acquired the last card that I needed to complete my 1959 Topps Master Set tonight. It was the Spahn variation Born in 1931. I am at 100% with all 8's and 9's except for one PSA 7....the ultra tough Hanebrink No Trade variation card. There are only 4 7's listed and 3 8's. Granted, I think there are a few 8's in the generic Hanebrink pop before they designated the variations, but still this is a very tough card in an 8. Heck, it is tough in a 7. Anyway, I am extremely happy to complete my mission on this set....which is my favorite.

1959 Topps Baseball Master Set
Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
set registry id Don Johnson Collection
ebay id truecollector14

Comments

• Options
    That would make TWO celebratory Cincinnati Dogs! image
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    I only have one word...WOW
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Ted, if he has 2 Cincinnatti dogs he'll be out in the gulch and the cards will be burnt! I almost died from just one.

Congrats Don, must feel great to finish that monster out!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    you guys must all be single and in debt, you guys have way too much money on hand to spend.

Amazing!!!
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, I've really enjoyed watching you finish this one off over the last year.

Your love for this set, and your knowledge of it, comes through in all of your posts in the set thread. I've always liked seeing the scans of your truly spectacular cards and you and the other 59ers have filled me in on a lot of interesting details about this beautiful set. Congratulations on a job well done.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Don

Congrats on finishing a great set
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Congratulations Don!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Don ................ I always enjoy seeing someone post another " I've completed my set at 100% " thread ! I think it gives us all a sense of hope of finishing our own goals of completing a monster set ! And you did it with a fantastic GPA OF 8.11 in a Master Set to boot ! Congrats ! Look forward to seeing you complete that '62 set you're working on !image .......................... Dave ' Robbie " Robinson
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Don what a great job you have done on this set.As you probably know I too am very passionate about this set as it brings back some great memories of my childhood heros.I have completed the set however I still have a lot of work to do on mine as my goal now is to reach the 7 grade level then I will retire it.As it stands now it is at a 6.76.

You have many awesome cards in your set notably the ones that grab my attention are the Killebrew(I did not know a centered speciman existed),The Dick Brown,Bobby Richardson(sure looks like a 9)and Bobby Shantz.

Thank you for sharing.

Tony (fiveniner)
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome Don. Thanks for sharing the scans along the way.
  • Options
    Nice job Don. Sorry I missed you in Cleveland.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Don,
    What a great set you have. To make this set in all PSA 8/9s is hard, but to do the variations also is crazy. Great job.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Don. More time to focus on the 1961 set now!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    WOW
    that is truly an awsome set!!!!|

congrat!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    Way to go Don......like you told me a long time ago....it's a marathon,not a sprint. Glad you have the No 1 100% Master Set,you deserve it.
    I still can't figure out why the 31 Spahn hardly ever shows.But all the variation cards are tough. Again...Congrats.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again, everyone.

Steve, I agree with you......the Spahn Born in 1931 has a higher pop but rarely does one show up for auction or any other way. I am puzzled by it too although I am pretty sure that some of the other variations are buried in the pop for the Born in 1931 pop. Earlier cards graded where they were all lumped together, just a guess on my part.

Steve, best of luck in landing one for yourself!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    Congratulations also! That is an awsome set. I know it was one of your passions, so to have the set completed the way you wanted it done, has to be extremely satisfying. Way to go! image
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • Options
    Very big Congrats! Just started on this beautiful set myself a month or so ago and truly appreciate your accomplishment.
    ----------------------------------------
    Currently working on:
    1955 Topps All-American
    George Brett Master Set
    2009 A&G's
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Don ! Have a beer..... or two
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Thanks, Al....I have!!

New addition today to complete my Master Set in all PSA 8's and PSA 9's.

Pop 3......this beauty looks like a PSA 9. I know there are at least a couple of these in the generic Hanebrink pop but this still is the rarest card in the '59 set.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don, This Bud's for you.... Congratulations!

Kurt
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Don, congratulations on an awesome accomplishment. wow that is a super sharp set. i'm still trying to complete a 1960 set that i can keep, it always seems i need the money for other things. maybe the 3rd time will be the charm. Phil
  • Options
    Thanks!!

One more scan of a card that I bought at the National several weeks ago........

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don...

That has to be one of the finest 59 Cash cards that I've ever seen...it's perfect...
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Henri, knowing your fondness for centered cards, I thought that you would like it!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14