Jim Marshall
Tommy Nobis
Dave Robinson
Johnny Robinson
Otis Taylor
Emmitt Thomas
Mick Tinglehoff
Al Wistert

Based on what I'm hearing I'm going to go with Tommy Nobis and Johnny Robinson as my predictions.

Jason
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    Jason, any chance Bullet Bob Hayes gets in ?
    Collector of anything to do with the Dallas Cowboys * PSA cards from 60-07 *
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, most definitely..All of these guys have a shot, and Hayes is still getting alot of push even though he was a Senior candidate in 2004 and didn't get in. I wouldn't be surprised to here Bob Hayes as one of the selections. I would be surprised to hear Brodie, Hadl, or Emmitt Thomas..None of the others would shock me..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Come on Jerry Kramer and Dave Robinson
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

How serious of a chance do you think that Emmitt Thomas has? Just curious. What's funny is that I was looking through the teams of the decades and Al Wistert is one of the few remaining players alive from the teams of the 1940's. His's inclusion does not surprise me at all.

I'm somewhat surprised to see Marshall Goldberg. I've been trying to find his autograph for a while.....

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    IMO, Thomas and Brodie are the longest shots from this field...

Jason

• Options
    Alright, more info to pass along..

--Almost definitively at least one of the selections, if not both, is going to be a defensive player.

--The biggest logjam (obviously) is at LB.

--There is a push (I assume because of the Mike Vick issue) to get one of the 2 deserving Atlanta Falcons in this year.

Tommy Nobis fits all 3 of the above listed items, I'm going to be very surprised if he isn't one of the selections this time.

The 2nd spot seems more up for grabs. Both Howley and Hayes got high reviews. Kramer could actually leapfrog Tinglehoff and get in. I thought Goldberg and Wistert would really shock me, but these are the 2 guys have been waiting the longest . A couple of the 5 Senior committee guys making the selections in Canton tomorrow are the oldest of the old school and are the same ones who pushed to elect Friedman and Pollard a couple of years back.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but only 5 of the 9 Senior Committee members actually go to Canton every year to select the final 2. Its done on a rotating basis, so the same voters don't go every year. Well this year would not surprise me to see either of the 2 WAY BACK players get in..

They should broadcast their HOF debate on NFL Network..lol...

Jason
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    The finalists will be named Thursday. Inductees will not be chosen until Super Bowl weekend next February.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Is there a reason why they only choose 2? There is allot of deserving people here and each year the log jam gets bigger
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    is that marshall, "buckets" Goldberg!! the guy madden always used to talk about.

hes a packer too, i think. how about that three on the list.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    According the Dallas Cowboys website, the list has been narrowed down to 4. I don't if this is accurate or not though:

Short Shots

Two more Cowboys were among the final four Seniors Committee considerations for the 2008 Pro Football Hall of Fame induction. Wide receiver Bob Hayes and linebacker Chuck Howley were included in the final four, along with Johnny Robinson and Tommy Nobis. That group will be pared down to two, and join the 15 finalists for consideration the day before Super Bowl XLII, Feb. 2, 2008, in Phoenix . . . A couple of more former Cowboys breezed through practice on Thursday, including Deion Sanders, Larry Brown and Daryl Johnston, who will be part of the three-man booth for Saturday's TV broadcast of the Cowboys-Broncos game on the Dallas Cowboys television network . . . The Cowboys will hold only a walk-through practice on Friday as final preparation for Saturday's second preseason game.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Hey gang, I am a big baseball fan, and I would be the last one to tell you
    I know a bunch about pro football, but......

Are you kidding me? I always thought John Brodie was a GREAT quarterback.
    Did I miss something about him? If I recall, he played with a pretty mediocre
    cast of players.

Mick Tingelhoff should go into the hall as well, IMHO. I think other thanJim Otto,
    he was probably the BEST center in all of Football 60's and 70's.

Let the barbs begin! image

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    Jason,

Anything yet?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Well...the senior nominees are...(drumroll) Marshall Goldberg and Emmitt Thomas....what?? I think that Goldberg is deserving but there are at least 10 others I would pick over Thomas. How about Nobis...if anyone deserves to be in...he does. The LB and DE's are snubbed again.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I just picked up a PSA 8 Goldberg rc image

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I just picked up a PSA 8 Goldberg rc

What card is that?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Based on a quick search:

Emmitt Thomas 1972 Topps #157
    Marshall Goldberg 1948 Bowman #81

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    its bucketts goldENberg!! that was a packer.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I just picked up a PSA 8 Goldberg rc

What card is that? >>

1948 Bowman #81 which is a short print....

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    ok where did you find it and for how much? i'm jealous...

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>ok where did you find it and for how much? i'm jealous...

dave >>

I can't tell where I found it image Sorry.... For the right price, it's available.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Jerry Kramer and the rest get screwed again!

Todd
  • Options
    Just got in and got the word...WOW...

Not real surprised at the Goldberg selection..Based on who the 5 Senior committee guys were, it made sense one of the old timers was going to get chosen..But Emmitt Thomas? Only guy that would have shocked me more from that list is John Brodie.

Don;t get me wrong, Thomas was a fine CB, but compared to other CBs from that era, I just don;t see it. Not to mention he was up against Johnny Robinson, who was a TEAMMATE of Thomas for 6 years (1966-1971) and from everything I've ever watched of the Chiefs during the era, Robinson was the better player. I'm baffled as to the reasoning behind the selection. Hopefully we will get some info on the how and why Thomas got the pick over Robinson. To me, it says Johnny Robinson is never getting in.

For the LBs, Im guessing its the same thing that happens every year. A couple of guys are unwaivering for one LB while another couple of guys are unwaivering for another and can't come to a consensus. I'd also love to know which former players they brought in to interview on these guys and who made the pitch for Thomas's election.

Hey Greg, I'll give you $495 for the Goldberg..image

Thank Uncle Sam for that because I had the card you got in my "queue" just in case Goldberg was the pick and if I hadn't been in the woods training Soldiers today I would have been on the phone with the dealer picking that card up ASAP.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Just got in and got the word...WOW...

Not real surprised at the Goldberg selection..Based on who the 5 Senior committee guys were, it made sense one of the old timers was going to get chosen..But Emmitt Thomas? Only guy that would have shocked me more from that list is John Brodie.

Don;t get me wrong, Thomas was a fine CB, but compared to other CBs from that era, I just don;t see it. Not to mention he was up against Johnny Robinson, who was a TEAMMATE of Thomas for 6 years (1966-1971) and from everything I've ever watched of the Chiefs during the era, Robinson was the better player. I'm baffled as to the reasoning behind the selection. Hopefully we will get some info on the how and why Thomas got the pick over Robinson. To me, it says Johnny Robinson is never getting in.

For the LBs, Im guessing its the same thing that happens every year. A couple of guys are unwaivering for one LB while another couple of guys are unwaivering for another and can't come to a consensus. I'd also love to know which former players they brought in to interview on these guys and who made the pitch for Thomas's election.

Hey Greg, I'll give you $495 for the Goldberg..image

Thank Uncle Sam for that because I had the card you got in my "queue" just in case Goldberg was the pick and if I hadn't been in the woods training Soldiers today I would have been on the phone with the dealer picking that card up ASAP.

Jason >>

Jason,

Sorry to beat you to it. I'll likely sell it....but who knows... I really can't believe that Nobis was selected...I was watching some film of him and going through his stats again. He was a tackling machine. 294 tackles in his rookie year!!! Unreal.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

Jason,

Sorry to beat you to it. I'll likely sell it....but who knows... I really can't believe that Nobis was selected...I was watching some film of him and going through his stats again. He was a tackling machine. 294 tackles in his rookie year!!! Unreal.

Greg M. >>

No apologies necessary..I'm glad one of us(Registry guys) got it anyway. I would say 99% Goldberg will get the votes in Feb. Thomas, I'm not sold on. I just got off the phone with a HOF voter and he was as shocked as I am. I know most of the voters vote yes on every Senior now without debate simply because the 5 Senior guys picked them, but there are some fighters there who could EASILY push for say Gradishar or Kuechenberg as the 2nd Senior candidate since they are on their last legs as modern guys. (just ask Bob Hayes)..Its not automatic, and Thomas, to me, was not in the same class as the other CBs from his era. I'd still give him a 60% shot at getting in in Feb..

I'm glad you got to see some Nobis footage. You are correct, the guy was a beast. Had he played in a large market he would have been inducted 25 years ago. I can only think that Howley vs. Nobis vs. Robinson hurt all these guys again. Nobis has his supporters, but so do Howley and Robinson. Its similar to what the modern WRs were experiencing for a couple of years. None of the celectors want to budge off of "their guy".

Congrats to Mike (mikescardcloset) as well for picking up that PSA 9 Emmitt Thomas RC that had been sitting on ebay as a BIN for like a month..lol..Either Mike was in the room with the senior committee yesterday or he just made a really good roll of the dice and hit the jackpot..lol..I had my sights on all the Senior semi-finalists that I didn't already own just in case one of them was chosen.

I hope this thread helped both of you in some way to be able to make those quick pickups. Even if it was just to alert you to when they were being picked and who the possibles were. I don't withhold info like that for selfish reasons. Others might and that is their business, but this type of stuff should be fun for all and shared between us all. If us football guys can't stick together, we are doomed to end up like the baseball guys...

Jason
  • Options
    Jason, Greg and the rest ----

People like you have elevated my passion for the game of football - thank you.

However, you are costing me some $$$$! image

Todd
  • Options
    $55.00 for an Emmitt Thomas PSA 9 rookie yesterday? What would that jump to today if one was on ebay?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone else notice that a seller accepted a best offer of $55.00 for an Emmitt Thomas PSA 9 rookie yesterday? >>

I looked at that PSA 9 but it was slight diamond cut...which I can't stand. The corners were nice but there was a definate tilt.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone else notice that a seller accepted a best offer of $55.00 for an Emmitt Thomas PSA 9 rookie yesterday? >>

Yep, that was the Mike (mikescardcloset) I was alluding to earlier. He rolled the dice and won!lol

He could list it today for probably $300 BIN and it would be sold in 10 seconds. Look how much the PSA 8 is selling for on ebay auction right now..HOF will do that for you, although I wouldn;t say Thomas is a lock just yet.

BTW, just read that the HOF has changed its bylaws. They bumped up the number of inductees. Minimum starting this year will now be 4 with a max of 7. That should help clear up some of the logjam they've had and guys like Ray Guy, Art Monk, Derrick Thomas will be able to get in. So many great first ballot guys in the coming years this was necessary.

Jason
  • Options
    Hey Greg, You want to go ahead and request that these guys be added to the Future HOF-Senior set?

I think those are the correct cards you guys already listed. I can't believe they picked 2 guys not on our list...lol

Jason
  • Options
    WOW I guess it's better to be lucky than good image

I was picking up the Emmitt Thomas PSA 9 for the All-Time Chiefs set and I figured we just might add him to the future HOF senior set since he was one of the 17 semifinalist.

I didn't think he would actually get chosen. But I can't complain.

Btw: I think we should add the other guys to our future HOF senior set.
  • Options
    Guess I can check one off my list.... Probably paid way too much but now I just have to hope he makes it.....

Thomas

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Here's the current pop for thomas. 26 8's with 10 9's, no 10's

157 EMMITT THOMAS 0 1 0 5 9 0 26 0 10 2 0 53

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Greg, You want to go ahead and request that these guys be added to the Future HOF-Senior set?

I think those are the correct cards you guys already listed. I can't believe they picked 2 guys not on our list...lol

Jason >>

Will do.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Should we add any of the semi-finalist to our future HOF set (like Hadl -- 2nd year as semifinalist, or Wistert, etc.)?

I think we should.

Mike.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi guys,

Should we add any of the semi-finalist to our future HOF set (like Hadl -- 2nd year as semifinalist, or Wistert, etc.)?

I think we should.

Mike. >>

I agree that Hadl and Wistert should be added...

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Great.....More cards to look for..image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Great.....More cards to look for..image >>

lol...no kidding. Plus we're going to add Goldberg and Thomas...so 4 more lol...

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Should we also add Brodie?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the football HOF voting process is a little screwy, to say the least. I mean every year there are players who literally come out of NOWHERE to get elected into the HOF. It seems like there is a logjam of candidates, both senior and modern, who are deserving. And with more and more candidates being added every year, there's no end in sight. I don't think it would be a bad idea to maybe once every 10 years or so maybe double the amount of electees as other years. Or maybe hold a special election or something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about watering down the HOF. Just seeing that all of the truly deserving players get in.

When I look at MLB, there are less than 10 deserving, eligible players who've yet to be enshrined in the hall, and I see at least 8 or 9 of them getting in with 6 or 7 years. And, since they re-vamped the VC after the Mazeroski fiasco, there are never any surprises when it comes to election time. Think about it. There is an amazing amount of collective football knowledge on these boards and NOBODY saw Thomas and Goldberg coming. Just like Charlie Sanders last year, and to a lesser extent Wehrli. You could look at the flip side and say that's kinda cool, but for me, I'd rather have a pretty good idea of what to expect.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I wasn't as sure on Brodie, but I'd be ok with it.
  • Options
    I would vote Yes on Hadl and Wistert. Both have been senior semifinalists in the past. Brodie I would vote no. I think that was a shot in the dark thing. I am working on getting the cut down lists from the the Senior meeting that will show us who made the cut to 11, then to 5, then to 3..Last year Nobis was the #3, which is almost unbelievable that he didn;t get in. I wonder if he was #3 again. I heard that Hadl made the cut to 11, but not the top 5. He's fairly underrated IMO.

Another thing to consider..IF one of the 2 Senior finalists don't get in this year, which based on the uproar over the 2 selections is VERY VERY possible, whoever doesn't get in out of these 2 will most likely never get another chance and should probably be polled for deletion from the Future HOF-Senior set. Remember, we want to keep these sets fluid and as accurate as possible. If we have anyone on there who isn't even a semifinalist for 3 or more consecutive years, I would again vote for deletion.

Last thing I want to happen is for that set to grow to 100+ players when alot of them don't have a realistic chance. At the same time, BOTH candidates from this year were not on the set. We didn't even vote on them they were so far out of left field. Our option are to either be all inclusive and make the set 100+ players of anyone that has even a REMOTE chance at induction. OR, be selective and only keep those who have a realistic shot. Downfall to that being what just happened, guys get selected that we didn't already own or weren't planning on buying. The downside to be all inclusive is that you wiull have to be 100 cards of guys in which it would take 50+ years (max 2 per year) to ever get them all in the HOF.

Something to think about...
    Jason
  • Options
    I'd vote for L.C. Greenwood

and Jerry Kramer- I used to give Kramer golf lessons- he wont make golf hall of fame

fastwillie
    Current #1 Hines Ward Master Set
    Current #1 Hines Ward Basic Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Master Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Basic Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Basic Set
    Current #1 Jerome Bettis Basic Set
    Current #2 Jerome Bettis Master Set
    Current #1 Franco Harris Basic Set
    Current #2 Franco Harris Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Ham Master Set

succesful deals with CDsNuts and Bkritz thanks
  • Options
    I think its pretty impressive that of the 17 semifinalists, 12 of them are in the senior HOF set we have here. That shows alot of good research on our boards.

If everyone in "the know" is as surprised at Goldberg and Thomas as we are, I dont think we should change our senior hof set to accomodate longshots like this.