Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust Half Album: 1807-1823

TomB requested that I post the complete album once again since I have added a few new coins and upgraded a few since my last posting so here it is. I will post 2 threads to keep the load time for the pics down. 1823-1839O can be found here.image

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like how your set is developing!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, and a true collection by a true collector!!!!image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOOO-HOOO!!!image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just awesome! In a sea of plastic, it's always nice to see an old time collection like that. Great work!

Hey, is that some slab inserts peaking out of the bottom hole?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Yep. Those are the inserts of the coins that have been freed. I taped a plastic baseball card sleeve to the inside of the front cover to keep them in.image
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Your 1819 example is the milk chocolate color that I look for when adding to my collection of early bust and seated coins. Original examples come in all sorts of colors, but that's my personal favorite.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Wow,

I can die tonight in my sleep as a happy man!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a nice, crusty look your set has. Nice job!
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Great look to both thread sets of pics image Lots of very nice original dirt! imageimage

KJ

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Nice set!
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking set. I want your small stars 1807
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Of all the sets I have built so far this is the one that I am the most proud of.image
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
  • Options
    Kyle:

As I said in my reply to your other album page, I appreciate the consistency of originality, grade and eye appeal of your collecting efforts.

This is hard to maintain in the Bustie series.

You were very wise to get both of the 1807's "out-of-the-way" before the 1807 prices get much higher. I know several people who would jump naked through hoops in public just to get their hands on your 1807 small stars.

I am Bullish on the Bust Half Market. Try to pick up your 1815/12 as soon as possible. As more and more Baby Boomers retire with their disposable cash and re-discover the joys of coin collecting, I predict that the 1815/12 prices will become more and more out of reach for MOST collectors. There is a limited supply and an ever-increasing demand.

Great job. ...keep plugging away.

Regards,

Ed R.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the replies everyone. Thanks for the insight, Ed. I really appreciate. At this time purchasing an 1815/12 is not really on my mind. I would love to but at this time I don't have those kind of funds available.image

Here is a closeup of the obverse of the 1807 SS. As you can see there is a very old scratch in the right field (from the viewers perspective) but I can live with it since this is such a tough variety to find. It took me 5 months to locate one in the grade range with the look I was after so that tells you how tough these are.image
  • Options
    That is an AWESOME set Kyle! I agree, those 1807's are both really nice. How long did it take you to find them?
  • Options
    Once I had set my sights on filling the 1807 and 1808 holes it took me about a little over a month to find the 1807 Large Stars. The 1807 Small Stars took quite a bit of hunting to find. It took almost 5 months to find one in the grade I was looking for.image
  • Options
    1807 small stars are indeed tough to find. Add in finding nice ones, and it gets even tougher. Always been my favorite. I believe I have 3-4 left.image

First year subtype that look different than the rest of the series. Also, the small stars look a bit different on their own with the stars setting in some. Also known to be struck on an over-sized planchet. These have been going up for quite some time, and the PCGS price guide reflects this now.
  • Options
    The PCGS price guide may reflct the prices for the SS in comparison to the other 1807s but they still do not reflect reality. I would love to have been able to pick up a Fine 1807 SS for $270 and an 1807 Large Stars 50/20 for $200. I gave $400 for my SS and $280 for my LS a year ago so either I paid way too much for them then or the prices for the 1807s have been dropping and I really doubt either is the case here.image
  • Options
    CoinAddict, I was looking at the XF in the pcgs price guides. Sorry, I should have clarified. They pretty much doubled recently in the guide, and have been trading at that amount for a while. When I say trading..... I mean I have actually sold (even to dealers) for those prices listed in XF. Way before they updated the pricing.

• Options
    HEY STEVE....did you get your au sent off to NCS yet? Gotta get rid of that little black spot on her cheek ya know.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    Well at least they are fixing some of the prices to reflect reality.image
  • Options

<< <i>Well at least they are fixing some of the prices to reflect reality.image >>

They have aways to go

• Options

<< <i>HEY STEVE....did you get your au sent off to NCS yet? Gotta get rid of that little black spot on her cheek ya know. >>

You mean this one, I don't want to derail the thread but since you asked........
    Before.......

So I told them to see what they could do........

ALL better now eh? Who is Steve?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>HEY STEVE....did you get your au sent off to NCS yet? Gotta get rid of that little black spot on her cheek ya know. >>

You mean this one, I don't want to derail the thread but since you asked........
    Before.......

ALL better now eh? Who is Steve?

image >>

Good job! looks much beter now

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    that set is coming along very very nicely....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got updated pics, Kyle?
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust Halfs look so cool in those albums. Very cool set K Man.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Nice.
  • Options
    No, Richard, I don't have updated pics of the set but I will definitely get some taken this weekend.image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! I missed this thread earlier...

I have my "date" set in the same Whitman album (I really like those albums!). I still need the 1807 small stars, 1812/11 and 1815/12. I see you still have a space for the 1823/22. I am trying to find a patched 3 to put in there since that was one of the 1823/22 "overdates" way back in the day.

Isn't the CHB series fun to collect? I really like these coins in VF/EF!

Good luck with filling yours out...what's next? Are you expanding to die marriages...perhaps the Bust Half Nut Club? You gotta good start already!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stman - You had me fooled for five painful seconds!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Where are the 1794-1807????? You have a wonderful collection. Congratulations!!!
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    I am expanding into the die marriages, Lane. I currently have 50 Bust halves that are different die marriages.image

Luckily for me the whitman album does not have holes for 1794-1807, Greg. As it was when I started this album it already had more holes than I was expecting it to have. As it is I think I have enough to keep me occupied with just the CBHs.image

Thanks again for all of the comments everyone. I will definitely post a new threads this weekend with updated pics of the album. I have added a number of coins since I posted these so an update is definitely need. A few of the dates I have added are 1811 Large 8, 1812/1, 1819/8 Small 9 and 1820 small date. I have also added a few that of the later dates so I am definitely in need of an updated thread.image
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Thanks for posting the pictures of the set.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

ALL better now eh? Who is Steve?q]

While admittedly OT, I much prefer the before to the after!
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Nice set! image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    way cool. thats really looking good image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights