Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

kudos............(edited, with "before" photos)

I wanted to extend a kudos to NCS for a fine job they did on my proof Prussian issue. I bought this coin for a great price, and the only disappointment was a fingerprint smear in the obverse fields. It was not only a fingerprint smear, but a dirty finger at that. It hadn't toned over yet, so i figure it possibly hadn't been in the holder for very long. Anyway, this was the ole' wart on Mona Lisa's nose, and it bugged me. This particular coin is only one of two proofs from this year that got the 'Cameo' designation at NGC, with this being the higher of the two grades. With this in mind, I wanted to protect the coin from the dirty print toning black but not ruin the coin either.

After nearly three weeks (NCS to do their work, and NGC to re-grade), i'm happy to report the work looks terrific! I'll have someone take some nice professional shots of it soon; i'm worthless with photographing cameo proofs.

1913-A Prussia/Germany 3 Marks: PF-65 Cameo

Before:

After:

Comments

• Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    image WOW image
    imageimage
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I sent an ANACS graded coin to NCS about a month ago but it still hasn't arrived at NGC for regrade... starting to get a little worried.

Nice looking coin by the way. They did an excellent job.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>I sent an ANACS graded coin to NCS about a month ago but it still hasn't arrived at NGC for regrade... starting to get a little worried.

Nice looking coin by the way. They did an excellent job. >>

thanks! NGC has the cool online way to check the status of a submission (like PCGS does). NCS however, doesn't have this option. You can call NCS and enquire, and they will be happy to tell you the progress. all you'll need is the submission number, or they can look it up using your name. I've always found NGC/NCS customer service very helpful.

• Options
    Yeah, that's how I know it hasn't arrived at NGC. Well, that and they haven't billed my credit card yet. image

Might have to give them a call.

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, that's how I know it hasn't arrived at NGC. Well, that and they haven't billed my credit card yet. image

Might have to give them a call. >>

I will say however, that once it got to NGC it was graded and slabbed the same day; and that is for 'economy' service! great turnaround time on their end!

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Stunning coin! Who says it's not a good idea to clean coins? image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    That is the after shot. Can you post a before shot for comparison? That coin looks good.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    That is truly incredible.
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005
  • Options
    Extremely nice work on that one! Congrats
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    I sent an email to ncshelp@ncscoin.com about 24 hours ago and still no reply. They really need some way to check submission status online. image
  • Options
    I called.. they said received July 30th and they're still working on it.

• Options

<< <i>I called.. they said received July 30th and they're still working on it. >>

sounds about right. i talked with NCS not too long ago, and they stated 4-6 weeks is the norm
  • Options
    edited, with "before" pictures
  • Options
    That one I probably would have dipped myself. They still did an excellent job, and since it was going in for regrade anyway, might as well let them do. I hope they don't read this and start charging more, but their conservation service is almost too inexpensive. I guess they're hoping to get some really rare coins in NGC slabs to boost the company's image. Seems to have worked for PCGS anyway.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Could you see the coin in NGC's online tracking system? Checked my email and got a shipping notification but doesn't show up in my order history. So I guess that means they didn't conserve it. Hope I'm wrong or I'll have to dip it myself and re-up my PCGS membership to get it graded. Certainly wasn't as bad as some of the other coins they've conserved. Oh well... image

• Options
    See a $18.57 charge on my CC, so I guess they just shipped it back. What a waste of my time! I can easily dip that one myself... and should have spent the money renewing my PCGS membership instead. Only reason I joined NGC's collectors' society was to get NCS to conserve this coin.
  • Options

<< <i>See a $18.57 charge on my CC, so I guess they just shipped it back. What a waste of my time! I can easily dip that one myself... and should have spent the money renewing my PCGS membership instead. Only reason I joined NGC's collectors' society was to get NCS to conserve this coin. >>

aren't you jumping the gun a bit? you haven't seen the coin yet, and what they did to it (if i read your post correctly). their fees are reasonable, so i'm guess that money they charged included the conservation, as that is in line with what they charged to do mine. (although i paid more, due to the fact of having it re-graded)

• Options
    The coin was valued at slightly over $300, so subtracting $9 conservation fee (3%) would mean they spent less than $10 on return shipping (registered and insured). Perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit, but it's been a nail biting month just waiting for them to open the frickin' package.

EDIT: Not to mention they STILL haven't answered my email inquiry. Can't say I'm pleased with their service at this point. I shouldn't of had to call and pester them.
  • Options
    What a frickin' joke NCS is. Their cleaning service sent the coin back as "cleaned". That's even worse than getting a bodybag from a reputable TPGS. Just cracked it out of its ANACS MS63 holder and will be dipping it myself. Just wish I hadn't wasted ~$35 on shipping back and forth. Won't make that mistake again! That was the first and last coin I'll ever send to NCS. image