Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Finally completed my set

Hey guys,
I have good news that I have completed one of the toughest sets that I have ever tried before. I decided to begin the 1947 Tip Top bread set back three years ago because of three reasons. The first reason was I wanted to collect a 40's set. As I began to research all of the sets from this era, I realized that I did not have much to choose from. The Tip Top bread set became the choice because of the difficulty in finding the cards (second choice). It is estimated that only 6 sets are known to exist by Mastro auctions. I found this a great challange and I wanted to tackle it. The last reason I went with this was because I like doing the food/regional sets. I like seeing the different stuff out there that not all dealers have in their inventory.
I bought my first set from Mastro three years ago for $5400. I graded out the complete set and received 11 "do not grades" and 64 PSA 1's out of 163 cards. 46% of the set was in horrible shape and I knew that I was in for a real battle when I got the results. I managed to pick up a couple here and there from eBay, but not very many to really help out. Mastro found another set two years later which I bought for $7900. It looked like this would be a much nicer set than the first one. I graded out around 65% of this set and came away with 62 upgrades, but still lacked two cards to have the first graded set known to exist. Lacking only Frank Melton and Boo Ferriss for completion, I knew it was only going to come through Ebay. In May, Mastro had a group of 72 cards that they were auctioning off from this set and both Melton and Ferriss was in there. I had to spend $2200 for the lot of 72, and now the question was are they going to grade?
Last night I got home from my kids football practice and I logged on to PSA to find my invoice done. My set is now complete and I am thrilled.
Some of you may look at my set and not find it to be that spectacular with as many low grades as I have, but remember that around 90% of my set is the highest graded available. If someone would be so kind to link the set for easy viewing, that would be great.

I hope you enjoy the read- sorry it was so long.

Regards,
Shane
Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Wow....Great job!! Expensive proposition you put yourself through!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Awesome Set! Now put up some scans so we can see enjoy them too, haha. You are not kidding about the condition of these, I wanted one years ago for my type collection and they are near impossible to find in any conditition. Great job.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work!
  • hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Shane!

I love how your set ranges in grades from 1 through 10
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • I didn't even take notice of the 10 at first glance. I was too focused on the "Pop Higher" column that is filled with zeros.
    SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the comments. I wish I had a PSA 10. I noticed this about a month ago when looking at my set on the registry. Apparently, the Gregg card is incorrectly labeled as a PSA 10 through PSA because it actually is a PSA 6. I have to send PSA a scan of it so they can correct it. There has only been 1 PSA 8 from this set with none higher. There are 8 PSA 7's, one of which is a Honus Wagner and I believe it is a reprint that slipped by the graders. If you look at 1947 Tip Top bread on Ebay in the store column, you will see a Honus being offered there. The card stock and color are not consistant with those that I have seen from this set and I think it is not real. I own 6 or the 7 true PSA 7 cards right now. I would like to see if I could get this set in PSA 4s or better, however I am not counting on it.

Shane
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Shane. Is that the first ever card of Yogi? Also, is this the only cards produced in 1947 (aside from exhibits and foreign cards)?
    Gemint-
    Yes, this is the first year of Larry Berra and this set is the only set that was produced during 1947 that I know of. I like the set because it has a lot of obscure no namers.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    wow
    that sounds like quite a journey

congrats!!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Shane

Now that you have completed it, what are you plans for it

Please post some scans
    Ledfoot-
    I am trying to upgrade the set to PSA 4 or better right now. I also am collecting the top baseball HOFers in 4-7s of their best cards. I would love to add scans but I don't have a scanner right now to do this. I will try to have some up in the next week or so.

Shane
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Shane!
    Lets see- Batter Ups, Wilson Franks, '71 Gm's, Tip Tops- do you ever work on an easy set?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Brother Grif -
    They are some tough ones but not as tough as what you work on. Stop being so modest. Sorry I could not buy you a beer at the National last month. I have been very busy at work and could not squeeze it in.

Later,
    Shane
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Congrats Shane !!

A very underrated and TOUGH set.

FYI...back in March 2004 I purchased the 1947 Tip Top Bread Larry (Yogi) Berra PSA 8 from Superior Auctions for $899 (w/ BP). It is still a POP 1 today. At the time (2004), there were only 2 PSA 8s of ANY card in the entire set! The same card had also sold previously for $1495 in the June 2002 Superior auction, so the $899 was a no-brainer. I ended up selling it for a year later to a NY Yankees private collector for a decent profit.

Looking back I should of hung on to it !! Oh well..Live and Learn image

imageimage
    John,
    I love it! I thought that there was only one PSa 8 from the whole set??? I would gladly buy the card for $1400 today. I wished I knew more about this set than I do. I heard that you got one card per loaf of bread and I have heard you got two per loaf. Either way that is a lot of bread to eat to try to complete this 163 card monster.

SL
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I do not have access to the POP reports. Maybe someone crossed the other PSA 8 card over to SGC and notified PSA. I forget who the other player was.
  • RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    Shane .................... Great job on completing this regional food set ! What part of the country was Tip Top Bread sold in ? Midwest ???? I only wish I had the ' Bread ' to afford these kind of cards ! Again , super nice set !image .................... Dave " Robbie " Robinson
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John, awesome card!

Anyone know where I can get an unopened "pack" of Tip Top bread? I wonder if the mold would damage the card? image