Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New registry coin

Just connected on a coin for my barber half set I've been looking searching for about 8-10 years. image

It's a 1915-S in PCGS 66.

1915-S is a common date up through MS 64; the date is almost never seen in MS 65 despite the pop reports, and a few I've seen weren't the right quality for my set. I eventually bought the Hugon coin in NGC 66 and downgrade crossed it to PCGS 65 so I would have a gem in my set. Dr. Duckor has his 1915-S in MS 65 in his registry set, another indication of how hard it is to find this coin at this level or better. His coin is a beautiful toned coin, like the rest of his set. My new coin is pure white and very nice, lustrous, sharply struck and with few marks. I should have it in possession today and will add the coin to my set as soon as I am able.

The pop report shows two in 67 but I've never seen either of them. I've pondered whether or not they are hoarded in 66 and 67 since I just never see this date in choice gem condition. It is the last year of issue and there are other 1915-S issues such as the Pan Pac Exposition that might make such coins attractive to collect together.

Dr. Pete

Comments