Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any recent experiences, good or bad, with ebay seller hsturn?

Most recent forum commentary goes back nearly a year. Nice images. What about in hand? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I had one experience with them about 5 years ago, and decided to never use them again. They sold me a cleaned AU morgan advertised as BU, and taught me a lesson...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have bought some gold from him with mixed results. These days there seems to be many people hoping for the big score by buying raw. This will not happen with his stuff. The photos he takes hides many defects. When he states BU it is usually high 58 to low 62 and BU+ is usually low 60's with better eye appeal. In other words auctions go higher than the coin is worth.
  • Options
    I bought a complete Kennedy set with no problems.

Bruce
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost everything they sell is cleaned, dipped or stripped. There are numerous better coin sellers out there.
  • Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    Not recent, but a few years ago I bought a roll of "BU" Morgans from him.
    All were cleaned and ugly, but he took them back with a full refund, no questions asked.
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost everything they sell is cleaned, dipped or stripped. There are numerous better coin sellers out there. >>

Yup.
  • Options

<< <i>Almost everything they sell is cleaned, dipped or stripped. There are numerous better coin sellers out there. >>

This is my experience...bought from them a few years ago...had to return a full roll of supposedly BU Walkers and another of Morgans (also listed as BU)...all were AU dipped...

This seller seems to have a 'legion' of bidders/buyers who will one day be sadly disappointed...

I recently tracked some slabbed coins they were offering...all went for strong money...a 'rare' occurance on the bay...at least for the somewhat common stuff being offered...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    hsturn is not only a very talented photoshopper he is also quite a clever marketer. Nearly all of his offerings are problem coins mostly cleaned and photoshopped to look attractive.
    I fell for the pictures myself and immediately retrurned the coins for refund.
    My money was quickly refunded with no argument.
    This way He obviously avoids bad feedback and continues to sell to newbies who don't know the difference and to the "smart" bargain hunters who think they know.
    I've even seen people on this forum defend him since they don't like to admit they've been had.
    Anyone buying raw coins on ebay except from people they know and trust(Dick Osburn is one of the ones I would trust) is really setting themselves up for a huge disappointment and financial loss. Dave W

David J Weygant Rare Coins website: www.djwcoin.com

dalias13@hotmail.com
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    I bought a 1932 washington quarter from him over a year ago. The photos made the coin look quite a bit nicer than the coin was in hand. It was obviously dipped but it still had fairly good luster--of course not nearly as much luster and the pics showed.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what the gist of the posts are saying is that what was said a year ago is still relevant and no one feels the need to risk/lose money by trying to see if the leopard has changed his spots.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no one feels the need to risk/lose money by trying to see if the leopard has changed his spots.

Agree 100%...bought once, got a whizzed commem that looked nothing like the photo, crossed off my 'good dealer' list forever!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Although I have never purchased anything from this seller (I always got out bid) I do like to look at his photographs!

Whoever he or she is, they sure know how to photograph a coin and make it look super! Regardless of grade, each and every photo is an MS67! They certainly use a combination of lighting and photoshop to make those suckers very appealing!

Reminds me of EBay seller jwcameo who could photograph nearly any proof coin and make it look like a dcam coin! Obviously using the Madmarty Lampshade technique!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had one experience with them about 5 years ago, and decided to never use them again. They sold me a cleaned AU morgan advertised as BU, and taught me a lesson... >>

Almost the same with me except that it was a Seated Liberty Half dollar. I told him it was cleaned, he took it back but immediately relisted it without telling it was cleaned. I neg'd him on the transaction because of that.
    Tom

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never purchased anything from him, but was leary of one person having all those coins that all look perfect. Sometimes selling all perfect coins is a giveaway.--Thanks for the thread ! I will avoid him now! Bob
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

YUP, a vast majority is dipped and stripped
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone.
  • Options

<< <i>Almost the same with me except that it was a Seated Liberty Half dollar. I told him it was cleaned, he took it back but immediately relisted it without telling it was cleaned. I neg'd him on the transaction because of that. >>

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The only experience I had was the purchase about 5 years ago of a PCGS MS65 Morgan in a rattler which was problem free. I have avoided him since because of all the negative comments I have read on different boards.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered about 7 early comms. All cleaned. He did take them back with no questions.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Sells cleaned, dipped, poor quality crap!
  • Options
    I recently purchased a 1974 D double die kennedy half. His auction stated "strong doubling on reverse, see close up" Ok I thought I was bidding on the coin pictured. I recieved the coin and it made me sick! Big scratches all over it, major wear marks. No place close to BU. I CALLED him the same day and told him I am returning it since there was a 5 day refund policy. He asked me if I would like another one instead. I then asked how many he has? He had around 10 and must have sent me the worst one. I did end up having him ship me his best one on hand and am very satisfied with it. I did win the auction at around $50 about a third of what an MS-65 should go for. But I was bidding as it was listed as a BU. If I had known I was going to get a crappy circulated coin I would not have bid at all, and wont bid on anymore of his auctions since he is not truthful.
    "One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making new discoveries" -A.A. Milne
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize that this is an old thread, but remembered it and so - I searched it out in order to add this comment:

I just finished tracking a bunch of Proof Plats in original Mint packaging on ebay. They all had a single bid and every one of them was the same bidder who bought them at least 35% higher than any other similar auctions for the same exact coins. Amazingly, this one bidder had an 88% bidding record with hsturn!

I then turned my attention to some rolls of Proof Franklins that I was tracking. There were a couple more bidders who seemed never to win but to come in 2nd place and who also had 55% and 88% bidding records with hsturn. These rolls went for about $50 to $60 more than recent comparable auctions for the same rolls.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I realize that this is an old thread, but remembered it and so - I searched it out in order to add this comment:

I just finished tracking a bunch of Proof Plats in original Mint packaging on ebay. They all had a single bid and every one of them was the same bidder who bought them at least 35% higher than any other similar auctions for the same exact coins. Amazingly, this one bidder had an 88% bidding record with hsturn!

I then turned my attention to some rolls of Proof Franklins that I was tracking. There were a couple more bidders who seemed never to win but to come in 2nd place and who also had 55% and 88% bidding records with hsturn. These rolls went for about $50 to $60 more than recent comparable auctions for the same rolls. >>

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never buy from this seller. All his pictures are under strong light to hide something. I bet lots of buyers have issues with this seller.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchases a gold US Arts Medallion (1980-1984) from him about a month ago. Just basic gold bullion. Quickly shipped and no problems.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I bid and lost on an Iowa commem. from hsturn last week. This week an Iowa commem with the same picture was listed, same description by hsturn. I asked via ebay why was the commem relisted?

hsturn replied that it was a different coin than the one listed last week.

I replied sorry, not interested, you are selling coins that are not the same as pictured in your listing. Definitely a showstopper for me.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a rookie I bought 6K in early comms. Sent to PCGS all came back cleaned. He did provide refund. Have kept an eye on his listings ever since. Suspect he goes through gallons of coin dip. He sells "pretty" coins to the unsuspecting and appears to be quite successful at it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file