Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

This proves that IKE'S have FINALLY made "THE BIG TIME"

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
They are selling 11 coin sets PCGS PR69DCAM on HOME SHOPPING right now for the BARGAIN PRICE of $749.95 image

GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is good to see the Ike set getting some attention now (great starter set). And, it should make sellers like this one pick up some easy sales at the $379 level on ebay as well, as some overflow traffic from TV hits ebay.

Ike Set

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    Thanks for the plug. I'm finally starting to sell some (2 sets to be exact). Maybe some of the Home Shopping Network buyers bought a computer. The TV exposure has to help the set in the long term. --Jerry
  • Options
    IKE's are great. Have a decent IKE set started. Nice to collect a set that is finished so no surprises from the mint! dr

Doug Rall IKE Resistry Set
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have a decent IKE set started >>

image That's an understatement, you have a GREAT set started. Well above where I would consider mine finished!
  • Options
    Tried buying some MS67 and at around $4k per specimen for the few I have seen out there the jump between 66 and 67 is huge. I would like to buy a few in 67 if I feel comfortable they are accurately graded and priced. Am studying what I can find on the MS67 grade now. Any insights on the MS67 would be helpful. For example are they hoarded by a few people that have access to giga-piles of unsearched material or is the ownership spread out amoung collectors? I love the big IKE's and easier to see as I get older! Any insights or offerw of MS67 coin is greatly appreciated. dr
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeez! The only 67's I have are all silver!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tried buying some MS67 and at around $4k per specimen for the few I have seen out there the jump between 66 and 67 is huge. I would like to buy a few in 67 if I feel comfortable they are accurately graded and priced. Am studying what I can find on the MS67 grade now. Any insights on the MS67 would be helpful. For example are they hoarded by a few people that have access to giga-piles of unsearched material or is the ownership spread out amoung collectors? I love the big IKE's and easier to see as I get older! Any insights or offerw of MS67 coin is greatly appreciated. dr >>

I can't believe there are any significant hoards of any of the mint state regular issue
    moderns. It may be more likely in Ikes than any other denomination but still it is most
    improbable.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I own a couple MS67 Ikes, and must say they are spectacular looking after one has been exposed to the general population of Ikes. I would have a hard time believing anyone "horads" MS67 Ikes; although there are a few people with more than one example in a particular year/mint or have owned numerous examples over the years. I looked a while before I settled on a couple from reputable collecters. I'm stepping out on a limb, but I feel strongly that there are many MS67 PCGS Ikes that are overgraded, so be careful when selecting. This is a big statement, but my guess is that as many as 35% of the MS67 PCGS Ikes are overgraded in PCGS holders. I think that percentage is much higher for NGC, having owned a couple of those as well. However, the 73 & 74 MS66 coins are overgraded the most in my opinion. I've owned several of these, and if the MS66 populations for both were all regraded today at PCGS, I would be willing to bet 50% of those would not come back graded MS66. To this day, I don't think any of the ones I own or have owned deserve to be in MS66 holders.

Again, just my opinions.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. My 1973 and 1974 IKE's in 66 are also not that spectacular so maybe those dates just do not come that nice. From what I have learned so far the IKE's in true 67 are very rare and worth investing in when found. Some of my 66's are so high end that if I found one in 67 that was nicer I would buy it! Also found Jim Sago web-site and will be watching that to. Thanks for all your help. dr

P.S. Just looked at your #6 registry with variety set. Spectacular looking coins. Also the 1971-S in 67 is very nice too. Most I have seen could use a mark or two less to be in the holder but your 1971-S looks very clean.
  • Options

<< <i> I'm stepping out on a limb, but I feel strongly that there are many MS67 PCGS Ikes that are overgraded,... >>

You're not stepping out on a limb, you're stepping out on a solid trunk, uhm, fortified by steel.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm stepping out on a limb, but I feel strongly that there are many MS67 PCGS Ikes that are overgraded, so be careful when selecting. >>

Of the 91 that have been graded, I'm sure that any one of the coins could be raked over the coals to come up with a reason as to why it should not be an MS67, but I am also sure that in the graders eyes who graded the coin, that the grade was deserved.

For all of the overgraded whining that occurs on these boards I would like to suggest that the whiner's have his or her 67's regraded for a downgrade. That way they can perhaps get the grade that they feel the coin truely deserves. They would probably even make a couple of bucks since MS67 IKEs cannot be had for less than $3,000 regardless of year whereas the most expensive MS66 that also has MS67's will only set you back about $1600.

I fully understand the pious approach that some take toward their coins but I just don't understand the constant barrage of whining.

Unless of course the whiner is trying to build forum credibility.

<< <i>However, the 73 & 74 MS66 coins are overgraded the most in my opinion. I've owned several of these, and if the MS66 populations for both were all regraded today at PCGS, I would be willing to bet 50% of those would not come back graded MS66. >>

Grading is subjective! Your percentages could just as well be higher or much much lower. As a whole, if each of the 153 MS66 1973 & 1974 IKEs were laid side to side for a regrade, it would almost guarantee than a high percentage would not grade at MS66. The reason for this is not the marks on the coins but its the coins overall presentation and their relationship to each other. High mint luster can accomodate a tick here or there whereas low mint luster cannot accomodate any ticks, hits, or scratches.

High mint luster with a weak strike costs you a point. Low mint luster with a strong strike gains you presentation but not necessarily a point.

I have an MS66 IKE that has a nearly perfect surface and is perhaps the strongest strike I have ever seen on an Eisenhower. Yet it is only an MS66 due to toning and a noticeable hit through the T in LIBERTY.

The Cheek and Chin a mark free. The Fields are very clear and smooth. The coin is remarkable in presentation with the exception of that hit on the T.

The point I am trying to make is that grading is subjective but its subjective to the coin and each coin in the same series, date, and mintmark can be as different as night and day.

So given your statement about overgraded MS67's and the fact that you are not a professional grader, perhaps a more correct statement would be that there are many MS67 IKEs that you would not care to own for whatever reason.

There, now I'm out on the limb with you!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I'm REALLY not sure why you just wrote a disseration on something that I clearly stated as:

<< <i>Again, just my opinions. >>

Oh, and by the way:

<< <i>I fully understand the pious approach that some take toward their coins but I just don't understand the constant barrage of whining. >>

Again, if directed at me I'm not sure how you get whining out of something I stated simply as my own opinions and then feel the need to criticize. To me, people who use repeated comments to achieve action are whiners. I'm not looking for action by anyone.
    If other people and PCGS think they are MS67 coins, no problem. That's great. Wonderful. Have at it. It's merely the way I see it, and therefore the way I called it. Don't like it, well, geez, I'm sorry - but get over it. Please feel free to see it from 647 completely different angles. It doesn't necessarily concern me if you don't understand my viewpoint. I may very well not be concerned about yours either.

<< <i>Unless of course the whiner is trying to build forum credibility. >>

If that comment is also pointed at me, trust me when I way that I don't need the PCGS forums to bolster my confidence and credibility, especially about my coin collecting interest and hobby. I've collected for 25 - 30 years. I started reading this forum over 5 years ago off and on, much more so in the last 2. This is a place to go where I relax, read, learn, and privately make fun of people who are not open minded enough to allow others their comments without some immediate, ill-prepared, and insecure sounding reaction. I have absolutely ZERO interest in checking these forums every 2 hours and racking up a gazillion posts in hopes that I'll make a name for myself because I respond to every possible thread I can. Those who do, hey, knock yourselves out.

I would also suggest that if you make a statements like these....

<< <i>Grading is subjective! Your percentages could just as well be higher or much much lower. As a whole, if each of the 153 MS66 1973 & 1974 IKEs were laid side to side for a regrade, it would almost guarantee than a high percentage would not grade at MS66. The reason for this is not the marks on the coins but its the coins overall presentation and their relationship to each other. High mint luster can accomodate a tick here or there whereas low mint luster cannot accomodate any ticks, hits, or scratches. >>

<< <i>The Cheek and Chin a mark free. The Fields are very clear and smooth. The coin is remarkable in presentation with the exception of that hit on the T. >>

....that you think twice about making a statement like this:

<< <i>So given your statement about overgraded MS67's and the fact that you are not a professional grader, perhaps a more correct statement would be that there are many MS67 IKEs that you would not care to own for whatever reason. >>

Because: no, that wouldn't be a more correct statement for what I personally think, and even though I'm sure you can call Ike grades with the best of them, you're not a professional grader either!

I'm not one to publicly reply in this manner, except when I feel I've been publicly wronged. To be blunt, you know little of my collecting experiences. Perhaps I'm uninformed, perhaps I have information that you don't, or perhaps my motivations within coin collecting are 136.78° from yours. Maybe they are very similar. Who knows. Maybe a simple question on my data or why I commented the way I did would have been a better reply and generated some other thought from myself or other members. The next time you want to label a person for their viewpoint, I would strongly suggest that you do some homework first. I trust you are professional enough to afford that respect to not only myself, but any forum member.

Now then, let's forget this "As The Coin Flips" soap opera, get back to collecting, and move on.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys - Remember - this thread involves 11-pc Proof Ike sets image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I am aware of that but WCQX was asking about MS67's and he gets a dissertation on how 35% of them are overgraded and 50% of the 1974 & 1973 MS66's are overgraded.

Once again the overgraded song gets sung...................

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input from all. IKE's probably not that much different than other PCGS gem series I have collected in the past (red lincolns, silver washington quarters, FBL Franklin haves, Kennedy's, state quarters). Beauty is oin the eye of the beholder as they say and at least slabbing is a good start for the collector (especially those that cannot grade well) and in my opinion we are better with PCGS grading than without it. Nice looking 71-D by the way. dr
  • Options
    This is the problem.... Ikes are pretty much a specialty and as was stated, only 91 (clad) coins have made the ms67 grade. That is a ridiculously small number relative to all the coins that pcgs grades. Pcgs has many different graders, some of which have maybe never seen a clad ms67 Ike in their life. Even though one might not call James Sego, Roger Wang, Dennis Doeppenshmidt etc. a professional grader, when it comes to Ikes, I would trust their opinion far more than pcgs, as they've seen many of the best Ikes in the world. I have no problem with saying a huge percentage of pcgs Ikes are overgraded, as I know that's also how the named experts feel.

Pcgs really has to have it's graders specialize more, or learn more, as these wild grade swings are out of hand (I have coins go ms65 to ms67, ms67 to ms64).