Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Real or Counterfeit?

The coin weighs 4.95 grams and has incuse devices on the edge, although not very pretty. Looks like a cast piece, but rings like a struck coin. Anyone want to venture an opinion?

danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."

Comments

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Count the denticles ... an authentic example would have two more.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Surfaces don't look right to me...
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a cast, to me. How's the weight and diameter, comparing to the original?
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Weight of the real deal is 5 grams, according to Krause, but I don't have a real one to compare it to.
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    How's about the edge, arabesques?
    imageimage
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    I think what you are seeing as a cast look and poor strike is from badly clashed dies. I can see the whole eagle on the obverse of the coin. Since it rings true and wieght is on it's probably real.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> How's about the edge, arabesques? >>

They are there, but not well defined, kind of like the rest of the coin. The fact that there are several die cracks make me think the coin probably real, but I would like a more definitive opinion. Another factor that makes me think it is genuine, is that it does exhibit some cartwheel luster, which would be hard (if not impossible) to achieve with a cast coin. All that being said, it still isn't what I would call a pretty coin image
    danglen

My Website

• Options
    Hey Udo,

That sig you have is hilarious.................................image
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    Maybe it was struck from salvaged/rusty dies.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were these even worth a counterfeiter's time and effort, with all that rampant inflation goin' on?

I suspect it is a strange but original (noncounterfeit) piece.

Don't ask me why- just a random hunch.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Were these even worth a counterfeiter's time and effort, with all that rampant inflation goin' on?

>>

This is a post-inflation coin, the old marks were replaced with the Reichsmarks in 1924.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. The die seems to be both clashed and shattered or nearly so to me. But who am I? If you want to dispose of it please send it to me now! Thanks ! Bobimage
  • Options

<< <i>This is a post-inflation coin, the old marks were replaced with the Reichsmarks in 1924. >>

Oh. Yeah. I knew that. image

I was thinkin' of the 1923 aluminum stuff, I guess.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    my guess is real but struck from some very rusty/cracked/dirty dies.....not sure if this helps or not but from the photo that is my opinion

also dan, i really enjoyed visiting your shop the other day (i'm the guy that asked about/purchased some 20th cent mexican coins) i will probably see you at the local meeting sept 10th as well

cheers
    g

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    speaking of local, didnt you used to call WNC home LordM?

seems like i heard that rumor......

g

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Yes, I lived in the Asheville area. Including Black Mountain, where Dan has his shop, though I was there and gone before he got there.

My aunt lives a stone's throw from his shop.