Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post a picture of a counterfeit Darkside coin...

If the coin is deceptive, tell us how you know it's fake.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Andy,

here is a recent thread, where i highly suspected i had a cast/counterfeit Crown and promptly returned it to the seller:

click here for the original thread
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Real coin, phony (post mint) error.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

Hawaii quarter: cast counterfeit. Looks like fields were smoothed to hide porosity. Detail of raised metal in pic2. Casting bubble in pic3.

China 20c: cast counterfeit. Central details too sharp in relation to rest of coin, very porous.

Mexico 2c: struck? counterfeit. Mushy details, sharp rims. Sunken area surrounding each letter on reverse legend.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭

Cast counterfeit...you can tell because someone stamped BAD into each side. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    1928 CHINA - Y- 428 KWEICHOW AUTO Sent to NGC for verification, it is Counterfeit
    imageimage

1793 Warkwicshire Coventry 244 and up were contemporary counterfeits, some claim even the 1792 was a fake.

imageimage

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread, Andy. I'll re-shoot my older counterfeits tonight. For now, my latest addition to the counterfeit collection:

1817 Durango 8 Reales. Was able to tell it's a counterfeit from a combination of factors - being not able to match the coin to any available plate, numerous hand-engraved elements, clear indication of a silver plate over less-pure cast core:

I'll post some Cap'n'Ray counterfeits tonight.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Euboea, Histiaia AR Tetrobol 3rd-2nd Century B.C. Modern counterfeit

Style is completey wrong and degenerate for the issue. Part of a counterfeit hoard released in the late 1990s I believe.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Ireland: 1941 Farthing
    A bit thicker than the real thing and with a look of a modern bronze plated steel coin (but i've seen darkened examples), some small details also wrong.

Jose
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jose - I understand those 41's are different, but how do you know they're fake? Yes, I have seen them, but I don't know for sure what to think of them.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    This coin belongs to a class of counterfeit Portrait coins made in the Spanish Colonies for trade with regional indians. These issues referred to as "Barbaric" copies. They are usually a low grade silver and are struck from VERY crude dies. Calbetto calls them "crude imitations" in the "Compendium".

• Options
    This 1834 Durango piece is Riddell #370, which is a copy produced from a transfer die/mold made from an original. Low silver content, low weight, surface gives it away as a cast.

• Options
    This 1836 Potosi 8 Reales is a contemporary forgery with links to Riddell but not one that is listed. The multiple impressions are due to the method that was used to make fakes in the 1830-40 period. Counterfeiters often used a rocker press - kind of like a big lemon squeezer at a bar. They used a lever or rocker to apply pressure to the dies to squeeze a heated planchet. Because the transfer was often weak multiple strikes like you see here abound. It is actually far harder to find a perfect clean strike on many of these early copies.

• Options
    1838 Zacatecas 8 Reales, low weight (22.1g), copper core showing through.

• Options
    1842 Zacatecas 8 Reales - hand-cut dies, low weight of 24.7 grams and reversed superscript "s" on the cap side.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1817 Durango 8 Reales. Was able to tell it's a counterfeit from a combination of factors - being not able to match the coin to any available plate, numerous hand-engraved elements, clear indication of a silver plate over less-pure cast core:

Roman - Do any of those factors automatically condemn a W4I 8 Reales as fake? (Not that I don't also like contemporary counterfeits!)
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Andy, I would actually expect most of those factors on a W4I issue image However, layers of silver on both sides of the core, visible inside the edge cut, gave it away for what it is.
  • Options

<< <i>Jose - I understand those 41's are different, but how do you know they're fake? Yes, I have seen them, but I don't know for sure what to think of them. >>

Andy, here's a link with more details:
    Link

I've actually exchanged a few emails with John and there weren't much doubts that those were fakes, besides some wrong details the metal used is something you don't see on any 1941 coin.

Jose
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think it is too big to put in pocket

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a nondeceptive counterfeit 1820 "bullhead" shilling, but it might've been deceptive enough to pass in commerce back in the early 19th century, when it no doubt had a thin silver plating.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Found this old thread and decided to add a few more...

Another crude imitation counterfeit. This time the size of 1 Real:

Sheffield Plated counterfeit, showing multiple chops that indicate circulation in the Orient, which is hard to believe due to a botched legend:

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Could the chops also be bogus to make people think that many others accepted it as real?
  • Options
    It's possible, but this magnitude of chop styles would make for some dedicated forgers.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the picture but I bought a fake Chile 2 escudos 1855 from a dealer and sent it in to pcgs a year later,...who said it was fake.

I returned the coin to the dealer with no problem
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Another silver-plated over copper core:

• Options
    I suppose because the weight is incorrect.....

" I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • Options
    Another off weight..........

" I just checked in , Just to see what condition, My condition was in." Kenny Rogers and the 1st. Edition......
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Lightweight by a several grams and it looks like plating has worn off the high part of the portrait and pillars:

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Portugal 10 Escudos 1954 genuine and counterfeit:

I have had these Portugal silver 1954 10 Escudos coins since the 1960's
    so the counterfeit is not from the usual source but was probably locally produced.

Portugal Silver 10 Escudos 1954 - Genuine
    Silver, 30mm, 12.50gm, Krause KM-586

Portugal Silver 10 Escudos 1954 - Counterfeit
    White metal, 30mm, 9.72gm

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

• Options
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG! A siting of a Russian-American living in Canada yeti. Rare breed indeed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Hi Roman, good to see youimage
  • Options

<< <i>OMG! A siting of a Russian-American living in Canada yeti. Rare breed indeed. >>

Hiya Dan and Don! image

Might be getting kicked-out of the country in the next few months. My work visa is expiring and I am relying on Canadian government to approve my "Labour Market Opinion" in order to extend my stay. With the current economy and the unemployment rates being what they are, there's a 50/50 chance they may not want to approve an American working in a position that a Canadian can occupy.

Fingers crossed, but I'm starting to look around at other opportunities in the States.

Haven't bought any real or counterfeit coins in a good 6 months, but I'm still trolling the forums and enjoying reading all of the new and exciting posts.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

on ebay now: 2-27-09

http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-PHILIPPINES-1906-S-1-PESO-SILVER-COIN_W0QQitemZ270350877842QQihZ017QQcategoryZ45139QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

Coin appears a poor counterfeit. Has a curved serif on "1" it should be straight. Funny color grey, color is wrong , probably short some silver, or mixed alloy. Surface shows classic CF depressions above MT. Mayon, also lots of small bumps on surface. There is a lot of loss of details everywhere (feet, MT. Mayon slopes etc.), U.S. coins ( SF mint struck) are struck better than this. The "6" looks too large to rest of the date numbers. The original copied coin probably had an added "6" to it. Need larger photo to tell more.

Krueger
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Photos of the 1906-S peso I described as CF in my last post.

krueger

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Two counterfeit 8 Reales that I own. One has been classified as a "Sheffield" Counterfeit. The other has not been attributed yet by anyone.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought these two Chinese copies of 1898 Mexican Pesos while researching
    my "Mexico 1898 Peso 1949 Restrike" article.

The first one is marked "COPY", the second one is not marked.

These are copies of the restrike peso, not the original coin.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television