Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Price Spread Between a MS66 & MS67 RED 1957 Cent

1957 Lincoln Value according to the PCGS Price Guide:

MS66 - $50

MS67 - $10,000

Now I'm sure the pop is real low and 1957 cents are notorious for poor quality BUT a $9,950 difference in price? Surely the pop will increase over time, no?

Something seems out of whack!

imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Probably by a couple of coins, but not by much. For a 1957 to be a 67 red, it has to be a 'WOW!' coin.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561

<< <i>Probably by a couple of coins, but not by much. For a 1957 to be a 67 red, it has to be a 'WOW!' coin. >>

More "Wow" than say what it would take for a 1935 67 Red? Or is the "Wow" the same for both coins?

imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

Oh, it's out of whack alright. It's called the "Set Registry". It's what leads people to pay tens of thousands for modern day coins that have an arbitrary grade assigned, while a coin with a grade one point lower sells for a hundred bucks. Worse yet, if you covered the grades and set the coins side by side you'd have a hard time telling which was which.

Jack

• Options
    DarkmaneDarkmane Posts: 1,021
    How much does an AU58 BR 1957 cent cost? image
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561

<< <i>Oh, it's out of whack alright. It's called the "Set Registry". It's what leads people to pay tens of thousands for modern day coins that have an arbitrary grade assigned, while a coin with a grade one point lower sells for a hundred bucks. Worse yet, if you covered the grades and set the coins side by side you'd have a hard time telling which was which.

Jack >>

Yep, that is what I assumed. I guess if a one point bump is going to move your from say 8 to 9 maybe the $10K is worth it to you. Personally, I dont see any value in a $10K MS67, but to each his own.

Your registry set is awesome, Jackimage! Big Congrats on the #2 spot.

imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    The 57-D is in a similar position. I had to settle for this example: image

MS67RB
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    There's a fool born every minute...

and some of them get sucked into the numbers game.
  • Options

Sorry OneCent, I am not Jack Lee. My coins are not listed on the registry as I refuse to play that game. I do not get caught up with numbers. I buy the coin, not the holder.

Jack

• Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    That spread between the ms/66 & ms/67 is unreal.It truly breaks the bank.It appears to be more than just the Registry game but a case of color and submissions. It is definitely a large spread though..!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In light of the recent change about RD cent policy, I though this old thread was eye opening. I sure wouldn't want to be putting in money in late-date MS-67 RD wheats, old price or the current price (01/10/10). I'm working on a MS-66 RD cent collection from 1934-58 and have seen the prices really coming down for the P examples from 1946 to 1954, especially over the last few months.

1957 MS-66 RD - $60
    1957 MS-67 RD - $5500 (dropped by almost half!)

I'm sure truly nice 1957 cents may be scarce, but not $5500 scarce IMHO. Obviously they weren't $10,000 scarce either.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    those numbers may be population related

there are now 5 RD67 and over 450 RD66 - does anyone know what they were when this thread started?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last 1957-P PCGS-MS67RD coin I was able to successfully slab at PCGS was about 7 or 8 years ago. I sold the coin for about $5,000 and the buyer resold it a couple years later for about $10,000. I had (2) coins back then - one about as nice as the next - just one slabbed MS67RD. The other coin is still in a safe-flip - I enjoyed looking at it just the other day at the bank (an amazing clean, bright red jewel that should find its way into a PCGS-MS67RD holder one day, even if it happens 5-10 years from now). I have been unable to find any other 57-P cents that have a shot to go MS67RD in the past 7 or 8 years and I have kept an eye open for them at all times. One tough coin to locate in TRUE MS67RD quality.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is does anyone want to spend the money to have a bunch of 1957 cents slabbed in hopes of getting a 67RD? Unless the coin is absolutely KILLER awesome, the risk is major. You can't even recoup your money on a 66RD.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I think that we should go to "S" numbers for post 1950 Lincolns - where "S" stands for sucker

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file