Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Perth mint is cranking out some real cow pies...

Orbital coins? Ugh...

This, just after anouncing they were going to release 2008 and 2009 Lunar coins now.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Its more of a gimmick than a coin.
  • Options
    It is 3 coins to finish off the silver series 2008, 2009, and 2010. The Gold Lunar set started in 1996 and the silver in 1999 so the gold finished in 2007, so they are issuing the final 3 silvers so in 2008 they both can start with the Second set design.
  • Options
    Good lord, it looks like something you would find at the bottom of a box of breakfast cereal.
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin-like contraption won't work for my collection.
    Just looking at it gives me flashbacks. image
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I agree ..... pure commercial gimmick.
    "Coins" like this is why the general public doesn't take coin collecting serious IMHO !!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    right up there with the popup world-trade-towers and corvette coin where the headlights light up !
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't they make a 6 KILOGRAM Year of the Dog silver horoscope coin?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    It's "coins" like that one that really put me off buying any modern coins. Even though technology has moved forward we are loosing the art in numismatics.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I like it! It shows a lot of artistry and likely represents "state of the art" of minting. image

Of course I also really appreciate well done 19th century enameled coins. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is 3 coins to finish off the silver series 2008, 2009, and 2010. The Gold Lunar set started in 1996 and the silver in 1999 so the gold finished in 2007, so they are issuing the final 3 silvers so in 2008 they both can start with the Second set design. >>

They should go ahead and release the rest of the Second Design set so they can start with the third design set. image

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the "Dogs Playing Poker" coins.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I like it! It shows a lot of artistry and likely represents "state of the art" of minting. >>

Well put, my sentiments exactly! image

On the other hand, as long as the majority of coin dealers feel that NCLTs are not real coins, there are excellent opportunities for those of us that have discovered that the NCLT market is huge! So shhhhhhhhh......don't tell anyone image

My latest set of NCLT classics to be
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is 3 coins to finish off the silver series 2008, 2009, and 2010. The Gold Lunar set started in 1996 and the silver in 1999 so the gold finished in 2007, so they are issuing the final 3 silvers so in 2008 they both can start with the Second set design. >>

I just got an email-- the second series is out now.

Is there any reason *at all* to rush to end the first series this early other than greed!?