Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

State Quarter Registry SET retired

I have retired the number 3 State Quarter Registry PVS It was fun building the set up, but 2 big reasons why I decided to move on. Finding updates once you reached a certain point is almost impossible and the real reason once SF coins came out 69s were commonplace and true business strikes were neglected.

Most of the super tough coins have found new homes in the top sets. The owners of these are true collectors and not speculators so I feel proud that my collection is now a part of theirs.

There is also strong interest in my top pop business strikes, which I am keeping at this time. I hope this core of people can finally get PCGS to correct the pop report and find a home for the orphans.

Many help me build my set and I thank them. Learning the Dynamics of the modern market has been a wonderful experience.
Now it is on to toned silver commems.

Forget - I also wish PCGS would pay a little more attention to the price guide, they are not even close on the rarely trades coins. Since the coins trade outside Heritage or E-Bay they really should consult some of the collectors.makers. I know my requests for corrections have gone unanswered.

Comments

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    John, the State Quarter registry and market will always remember you as possibly the most passionate and involved collector. I do not blame you for moving on as it is all about getting new coins and the thrill of the chase. When the chase is over, it's time to start again. I will not make any comments about PCGS as I'm an authorized Dealer and I have certain standards i must live up toimage Ahh heck, PCGS should have listened to it's most passionate collector as well as many others considering the satin Finish/Business strike dilema. Long live Pine Valley South!

Sincerely,
    Henry Kissenger
  • Options
    Sorry to see you give up your set, but I know how frustrating it must be for you to have had one of the top sets and not be able to get a straight answer from PCGS concerning the “Satin Finish” / “Business Strike” issue. The really sad part is that I believe PCGS knows that they made a mistake with the “either / or" policy concerning the SF / BS coins but they are not big enough to admit to it. My eleven year old son, when he talks to his friends (older and younger) about coins, well let me just say that they all consider the Satin Finish and Business Strike coins as being different from each other. A comment that a seven year old made to my son hit the nail on the head, “Even PCGS considers the Satin Finish coins different from the Business Strike because they label them different”. As some say, “Out of the mouths of babies.”

I notice that in the Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-present) that PCGS requires both the “Business Strike” and “SMS” coins for the 1994-P and 1997-P. Why isn’t the same standard used for all Basic Set purporting to be of Circulation Strikes? Is consistency a bad word or policy at PCGS?

I think I read it somewhere that the “Registry” was set up for the collectors, if that is the case then why has PCGS dragged their feet for three years.

End of rant,
    Tim image
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I agree 100% with ^
    Dan
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-present) that PCGS requires both the “Business Strike” and “SMS” coins for the 1994-P and 1997-P.

Try the Sacagawea Dollars, Circulation Strikes (2000-present) with the very limited Goodacre coin.
    When was that ever released for circulation?

The only reason I would side with PCGS on the BS vs. Satin strike is historical precedent, coins in mint sets are similar to the coins in circulation.
    My stance on the Jefferson SMS's & the Sac Goodacre and Millennium (and others) is that they do not belong in the "Circulation" Set's because those coins were never in a Mint set released by the Mint.
    If that's the criteria to go by, then the Satin finish would be the type in the 'Circulation Set' and the regular finish would be the variety.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    ajia; I agree completely.
    If only PCGS would wise up and make "the switch".
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    John,

Your passion for the series has always amazed me! I have never met someone so driven and determined over stamped metal discs! Your collection is remarkable and not easily duplicated. Sorry you have resolved to collect just tarnished old commems!image Your commem. set is amazing and I highly recommend everyone check it out as the pics are outstanding! Maybe you should get into the new Prezzie bucks series? That will keep you busy for another 8-10 years or so! On a serious note I hope PCGS hears your plea as well as many others who have pleaded for a Business strike only (modern)registry sets. The dedication and practice of searching thousands and thousands of business strike coins to find that ultra gem is on its way out. There are only a few strange birds(like myself) that remain dedicated to the practice. In the coming years Ultra Gem business strike coins are going to be few and far between. I hope you continue to collect 'em!! You are a smart man and I hope/think you will reap the financial reward down the road! Chris
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one bite's the dust.image
    Sorry you also gave in to the frustration of a Registry that does not care for true collectors.
    Good luck on getting back what was put into it.

• Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    John is passionate about his collections..I know nothing about these new quarters..but i bet his were pretty darn nice based on his "eyes" in other areas..
    Bruce Scher
  • Options

<< <i>The only reason I would side with PCGS on the BS vs. Satin strike is historical precedent, coins in mint sets are similar to the coins in circulation. >>

<< <i>My stance on the Jefferson SMS's & the Sac Goodacre and Millennium (and others) is that they do not belong in the "Circulation" Set's because those coins were never in a Mint set released by the Mint. >>

<< <i>If that's the criteria to go by, then the Satin finish would be the type in the 'Circulation Set' and the regular finish would be the variety. >>

I read this, then I read it again. But I can't see the reason for this thinking.
    Because the mint puts a SMS coin in a mint set, it should trump out the CIRCULATION STRIKE COINS that are used for commerce. THE VERY DESCRIPTION used by PCGS and the ENTIRE COIN COLLECTING COMMUNITY for uncirculated coins in an UNCIRCULATED SET.
    The SMS coins from 65 - 67 were released in mint sets, but were they used in the uncirculated sets? NO, because there were also the true uncirculated coins issued for commerce, and sent out in rolls to banks for those years.
    Now the very same thing is being done starting in 2005, but now you want to call the UNCIRCULATED coin "the variety coin" and replace them in the sets with the SMS coins???????
    Had they blasted only the devices on the satin finish die, You would have a proof looking coin with mirrowed fields, only the frosted surface would not be as white. Business strikes?? Not even close.
    Dan
  • Options
    Tesoro, I am happy but also sad for you at the same time. Sad to know you could never showcase your set in a fair setting, after so much work and expense. image
    Dan
  • Options
    John has been a good friend, customer and patriot to the business strike cause and I am sorry to see him go. At least there are no SF coins in the commerative series to be plagued by. Now the refence to Pine Valley South quoted by Mark above makes sense to me John. To be sand-bagged by someone I have never talked to is a tough pill to swallow but you have been true blue and good luck to you! dr