Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lincoln Cents with Varieties, Proof (1909-Present) -- Complete!

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I first started this set, I was collecting MPL's in 63-64 RB, in various holders. There were many turns and twists along the way to get my set in the grades and conditions that I wanted -- plenty bought and sold even within the same grade to seek out the finest. For instance, I once owned three 1937 cameos at the same time in 67 (pop 1) and both 66's (pop 2). I selected the one I thought was the best regardless of the grade and it was one of the 66's, so I sold and traded the other two. I also had a couple of coins that turned in the holder due to some artificial cameo on the coins that turned about six months after I bought them. Those had to be replaced along the way.

For the last three years, my set has been all but complete .... in PCGS holders. I had one hold out in an NGC holder that I disagreed with PCGS on the grade. I've been stubborn about it the entire time, refusing to complete the set, while upgrading various coins within the set in the meantime. I finally broke down and bought Dan Close's 1960 SD/LD in PR68RD and have completed my set of 82 coins in PCGS holders. I hope to continue to upgrade where I can, but coins are getting few and far between. Maybe I can work on some pictures to put in it.

It's not all about the Registry, although that is a very fun part. I have literally hundreds of rolls of proof Lincolns for 1953-1972, and many singles from other years. I have a capital plastic holder filled with toned proofs of various years and colors. I also have a box of doubled dies for many many dates, most of which will probably never be listed anywhere.

This has been an exciting set to work on for the last 9 years, and a passion. There are still upgrades out there with my name on them, so I still feel the same passion for pursuit that I have always had!!!

Thanks for letting me share....

Link to Set HERE

My two favorites are below. The VDB is from Gerry Glasser's collection, and the second from Stewart Blay. Two unbelievable collectors and coins!!!

Doug

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Doug,
    CONGRATULATIONS! You can be very proud to now own the second all time finest set of Lincoln proofs with varieties. Your set has achieved even a higher GPA than Dan's set. I am very happy to call you a friend on these coin forums and to share with you the passion of collecting Lincoln cents. I also remember your great set of dimes. Keep enjoying the registries.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Congrats Doug! That is a great accomplishment. I hope if it's publicly displayed I'll get the chance to see it.

David
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Doug, I have always admired your taste in coins. I would very much like to see the entire set
  • Options
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!!! Sweet looking set.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Congrats Doug, can't wait to see more pictures. imageimage
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Congrats Doug!

A very nice set you put together.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    what a monster set. image
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Congratulations brother, those two coins are beautiful.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey wait a minute, I didn't see a 2007!!!!!! All kidding aside, Great Achievement! Great set! Congratulations!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Congratulations! image

and

WOW!

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!! All that effort and a beautiful result.
    Allow me to add my congratulations. image
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for letting me share....

Doug, thank you for sharing.
    Looking through your set I get the feeling that there are some upgrades with your name on them because some seem like they would be easy to find in the upgrade grade, but maybe just not the 'look' you're after.

Please share with us if/when you have pictures posted, if they're anything like the 2 you've posted here that would be a sight.

Congrats.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great comments. It makes me happy to see others enjoy what I have been silently enjoying over the years. I've been working on some more pics of the Mattes, but I'm really struggling with the brilliant proofs that follow. The mirrors wreak havoc on the lighting. I'll keep working on them If there is ever going to be a Deep Cameo in the 36-42 set, I have a candidate. Maybe it will make it.

An interesting story about a coin that just sold -- Dan's 1937 PR66CA was one of mine. I bought it from Don Merz right after he made it. The significance is that it is the first coin from the set that PCGS used Cameo as the designation. That's not just Lincolns, but all denominations for the 36-42 series. So whoever bought it can now have a story to tell with it.
    Doug
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Dan's 1937 PR66CA was one of mine. I bought it from Don Merz right after he made it

And now the new owner has the pedigree to go with the history of being the first cam in the set!

That's quite a trio of Lincoln collectors making/owning that coin.

How cool.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    That is one great set of Lincoln cents.

I would love to see pics of some if the coins that you have registered.

Congrats on a job well done.

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Congrats, Doug! That is so cool that a coin from my set completed yours. It is an honor to have something I once owned in your set, as I predict your Complete Lincoln Set will eventually eclipse my retired set.

Dan
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is absolutely fantastic and is one set that I believe is significantly harder to finish than the sum of the money required to build.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Wow! Super set Doug, it gives us all something to shoot for.
  • Options
    Dan, you are too kind! I can't compete with what you did in mint state 09-present, and don't think I will ever get there. I really enjoyed all of those coin trades we did swapping dupes and building our sets. Those were fun times!! I'll look for you to be back in the game at some point. I don't think you can stay away for too long. I'll be waiting for the "Closer to Perfect" set!
    Doug
  • Options
    Remember this from my first post to this thread?

For the last three years, my set has been all but complete .... in PCGS holders. I had one hold out in an NGC holder that I disagreed with PCGS on the grade. I've been stubborn about it the entire time, refusing to complete the set, while upgrading various coins within the set in the meantime. I finally broke down and bought Dan Close's 1960 SD/LD in PR68RD and have completed my set of 82 coins in PCGS holders.

Ok, well I decided to submit the NGC coin one more time before I sold it, and you guessed it ..... the darn thing crossed to a 67CA holder, pop 5/2. That's pretty typical for me, except it is usually the person that I sold it to that gets the upgrade or the cross!!!

Thanks go out to Andy at Angel Dees for the advice on the coin and helping me once again through the process. Anybody need a 68 red pop 9/0 ????

Doug
  • Options