Home Metal Detecting
Options

How do you know which spots are ok to search?

I mean, which areas are ok to search, which need permission, and which are off limits? (Private land excepted)

School playgrounds?

City/state/national parks?

Beaches?

Thanks!
Need to finish my Kennedys and Jeffersons!

Comments

• Options
    Any area around your lake or swimming hole would be a good start.
    Tot lots...play ground in parks is also good for easy pickings.
    Any friend in old homes is good.

Better hurry before the snow comes. ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    http://www.fmdac.org/ great website, they have a nice list of laws that apply to your state, you can even go in and look specifically at which parks, state owned anyways you are allowed to MD.
  • Options
    MorglanMorglan Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info!

Crock--you're right about snow--seems like it shows up earlier every year (October last year!)

Captain--great website, thanks.

Regarding playgrounds--do I actually need permission from the school, or can I just go for it?

Need to finish my Kennedys and Jeffersons!
  • Options
    I was thinking of tot-lots/playgrounds in local parks. Some picknic grounds have play areas.
    Old drive inns had play areas.

Schools...If the gates are open, and school is OUT...then I go in. I don't go out in the middle of a ball field and dig holes. I go along the seats and side lines.

The idea was to send you to easy places to start. Play grounds often have sand=easy and fast -hit and run to the next sand box. Use a sand scoop to get the goods. Wood chips are a little more work.

Have Fun

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Morglan,

Jerry is correct. Start out with the easy spots that usually have good traffic through them. While you're doing some easy hunting, start researching possible relic sites and the local laws.

G.
    imageimageimage