Home Q & A Forum

Cross over question...

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
If someone were to submit a bunch of MS70 or PR70DCAM at cross at any grade. If the coins were found deserving of that grade would PCGS put them into MS70 or PR70DCAM holders? I know there is a risk to the submitter because there is a high probabilty the coins won't meet the high standard of PCGS, but if it is worthy would it cross?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• << <i>If someone were to submit a bunch of MS70 or PR70DCAM at cross at any grade. If the coins were found deserving of that grade would PCGS put them into MS70 or PR70DCAM holders? I know there is a risk to the submitter because there is a high probabilty the coins won't meet the high standard of PCGS, but if it is worthy would it cross? >>

Yes, if the coins are worthy, we'll put them in a MS- or PR-70 holder. The reason we do not offer a crossover service at the 70 grade is that is impossible to properly evaluate a coin through a layer of plastic. If we were to crack a potential candidate out of a competitor's holder and the coin failed subsequently to qualify as a 70...well, you can imagine the problems that would cause.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com